...or, "UPS, we dropped your package marked 'fragile' at least 4 times from a great height, and then ran over it with the back wheels of a truck for good measure"

I received a Bosch fuel pump for my car (ie., a decently engineered bit of kit) via UPS from Liverpool, UK (I'm in NL). The package was smeared with grease, and looked as if it had been crushed at one end. The other end was punctured and the packaging was showing; I was astonished that they were prepared to even deliver it in that state. The guy handed it to me at the door and immediately gave me the document to sign for it. I said I wanted to open it and inspect it first. He said no, you can't open it before acceptance. I said I wasn't prepared to accept it without examination, and that for a possible claim, I was entitled to inspect it first. At this point he moved to take it out of my hands, and we had a yanking match on my doorstep. I was absolutely shocked, and ended up just letting him take it. So he drove off with it after I had been waiting nearly 8 days for a supposed 2-day delivery.

I rung to complain about his behaviour, to be told that the parcel had been delivered by an employee of the local subcontractor they had been using to meet demand, and that the guy had complained I had whacked him (untrue). After enduring mucho indifference on the phone, I was told the package was already on the plane back to England.

About 3 days later I was rung by the supplier (a friend whom I trust) to ask why I had sent it back in this state, and who was going to pay for the damage. I said I hadn't sent it back, and he then told me the package had been returned marked "rejected by recipient". On opening the package, he found that the co-axial bearings of the pump had been so badly damaged (presumably by being dropped) that the pump would not turn when power was applied, and that the casing was distorted so badly, it looked like a banana. When I told him the story he promptly stopped using them and put in a claim for the damage. I don't know if he had any luck.

I did however get a replacement pump the day after, delivered in perfect condition by TNT...

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015