Let's see how many of your questions I can answer. :P

First, you'll need a WAP (Wireless Access Point). The one I'd recommend going with if you don't already have a hub or switch is the BEFW11S4 from Linksys. You could also go with a WAP11 if you're planning on using another switch, or hub and you don't need the DHCP. Although, for the extra few bucks i'd definitely say it's worth it. (Might want to read this post just for the extra info)

Second, you'll need a wireless card for the machine that will not be directly connected to the WAP. There are a lot of good cards out at the moment. The type of card to buy is the first thing you're going to have to consider. If you're going to be connecting it to a laptop, then a PCMCIA card like the Orinoco Gold, or the D-Link DWL-650 is what you need. If it's going to be connected to a desktop, then you've got a few choices: 1) a wireless PCI card like the WMP11, or the DWL-520, 2) a PCI adapter with a PC card, like a WDT11 and a WPC11, or 3) a wireless USB Adapter like the WUSB11. The easiest one to install of those is the wireless USB adapter (which, I forgot to mention, could also be used with a laptop).

I'm sure there's more information that others could give you, or you can find by searching the web, but that should give you a pretty good start and a good idea of what it's going to cost.

Hope that helps.....
ricin.us