Ah, I've always wanted to play this game on the BBS...

"The Desert Island Ten".

For those who don't know this game... You imagine that you're going to spend the rest of your life like Tom Hanks in "Castaway". You've got a CD player and a lifetime's supply of batteries, but only ten albums to listen to. (I know this would never happen, but it's a mind-exercise, so just shut up and play the game.) Which ten would you bring?

My list keeps changing, of course, new albums sometimes make the list. I haven't thought about it hard recently. So this is the off-the-top-of-my-head list at the moment (I reserve the right to drop in here and change my mind at any time):

Ones that will never, ever, ever get knocked off the list, in no particular order:

1. Rush- Moving Pictures
2. Peter Gabriel- So
3. Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon
4. Tori Amos- Little Earthquakes
5. Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms

The remainder of the list, shuffles occasionally:

6. They Might be Giants- Mink Car (a very recent addition, might I add)
7. Queen- A Night at the Opera
8. Paula Cole- Harbinger

Holy sh*t, I'm running out of room, and there's only one Rush album on the list...

9. Rush- Hemispheres
10. Rush- Power Windows

Aw, crap, the list is done and there's no room for Steve Morse, Pat Metheny, Eric Johnson, B-52's, U2... Grrr...

Okay, not on my Desert Island Ten, but only because it's a short list and it's gotta stop somewhere:

U2- Joshua Tree and/or Unforgettable Fire
The Police- Synchronicity
They Might Be Giants- Flood
Yes- Big Generator
Steve Morse- High Tension Wires and/or Southern Steel
Eric Johnson- Ah Via Musicom
The B-52's- Good Stuff and/or Cosmic Thing
Sheryl Crow- The Globe Sessions
Sting- The Soul Cages

See? It's a fun game. I briefly agonized over some of the albums that didn't make the cut... Who's next?