Hi!

It's been six months since I received my Empeg, and WOW, I'm enjoying it everyday. I only used it a couple of times in the car using an FM transmitter to send signal to head unit because summer isn't arrived yet here in Quebec and I still have to install amps. But what an improvement from my previous CD chagner setup :-) Any song, any time. So impressive!

Now, here's my project: I would like to do a little converter that would send serial commands to the empeg (+ and -) to control volume,

I don't think it will be very hard to do: frequency (I plan to use speedometer input) to voltage converter (0-5VDC), using a PIC 16C877 analog input, processing and sending RS-232 commands using built-in interface. I plan to use a pot or two to adjust gain of the unit.

First question: In the developper area of riocar.org, the serial commands are listed:

> + Volume +
> - Volume -
> x Volume +
> z Volume -

Is it a known issue that the two last (x and z) are not working? (at least, on mine: MkIIa)

Second point: Whenever I send - and + commands (followed by enter), the display shows new volume setting (like if I was turning the knob).

My question: Is there any way to prevent the volulme pop-up from appearing when volume commands are received from the RS-232 interface. The way I plan my gadget, it will change volume every 5 or 10 km/h, so volume pop-up would be visible most of the time during city driving. My guess is that behavior is set in the player app, no?? If so, it won't be easy to change. Maybe a wish for next version ;-)

Would there be anyway to intercept signal going to /dev/dsp (that's audio device isn't it?) and change volume "after" player app instead? Is this how the voladj hack works? (Sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't understand very well linux sound management yet ;-) )

Any suggestion will be welcome, I'm still on the protoboard...

Not bad for a first post ;-)

Thanks guys

ElPerePaT
60G 040103838