Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#100453 - 20/06/2002 14:29 TA flakey ?
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Okay i am not too sure as to how the empeg Traffic Announcement work

But this is what i think is happening The empeg is only looking at the the radio ststion it was tunned into when it was switched over to player.

What i think should be happening is it should be looking at all the presets in its memory as i think this has what has been happening with previous mortal head units.

I discovered this after some played with the empeg and put it to the very pants local radio station who don't seem to switch the ta thing off after putting it on either that or the empeg don't go back.

#100454 - 20/06/2002 14:57 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: thinfourth2]
juenk
journeyman

Loc: Waardenburg, The Netherlands
>The empeg is only looking at the the radio ststion it was tunned into when it was switched over to player.

At least my headunit (Pioneer KEH-4500) has the same behaviour: only the 'tuned' station is checked. This is also exactly what I want, otherwise I would get a traffic announcement every 5 minutes from one of the 10+ preset stations... And with the empeg you cannot 'ignore' it since it re-'pops' up every time again until the TA has finished

Jelle

#100455 - 21/06/2002 12:23 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: thinfourth2]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I think this is working as designed.. which I think is correct..

What isn't correct is that the tuned station doesn't AF scan when you're in player mode, so your TA goes away entirely after a while.

Rob

#100456 - 21/06/2002 13:23 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: rob]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
This may be as designed, but it's not how most systems do it (in my experience). Both my VW OEM unit and my JVC would scan the entire frequency band (not even just preset stations) for traffic announcements - I know this because I'd get things like BBC Leicester or something popping up when I drove down the M1, and I sure didn't have that as a preset!

It's really useful if you're going on any kind of a long journey to have it scan the entire band - when you are 50 miles away from where you live, you're not going to have any relevant stations preset except (in the UK) the BBC National stations.

Incidentally, the VW OEM unit had the coolest TP features - it would monitor for TP broadcasts when you left the car, and record them into memory, so when you got back you could reply all traffic announcements in the past hour or whatever! Amazingly good idea.

A.
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#100457 - 22/06/2002 03:19 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: snoopstah]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

This is what i would like to happen

#100458 - 23/06/2002 08:11 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: rob]
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
There is at least one more TA issue, already mentioned before. The player doesn't switch back after a traffic announcement.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to scan all the frequencies for traffic messages. But it should display a message if the user is out of coverage of the selected station or maybe select another station with TA automaticaly.

I'm working on a TMC (Traffic Message Channel) implemenation as a userland application on the empeg. Part of it is already working, but at the moment developing is pausing because I'm busy with other things.

#100459 - 23/06/2002 12:50 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: snoopstah]
rob
carpal tunnel

Certainly in the UK there's not much point scanning anything other than Radio 1 (or another BBC national station). It sends notifies for all regional TA transmitting stations. Perhaps a programmed TA station would do the job (I believe that's what my Blaupunkt head unit has).

This only applies when you're in player mode anyway - in tuner mode I don't believe it is possible to retune for long enough to acquire RDS without hearing an audio glitch. At least, not without two tuners (which some head units have).

Rob

#100460 - 29/06/2002 10:38 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: rob]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Okay how about we could select the radio listens to while under player while staying in player mode ?

#100461 - 21/07/2002 06:51 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: snoopstah]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
This may be as designed, but it's not how most systems do it (in my experience). Both my VW OEM unit and my JVC would scan the entire frequency band (not even just preset stations) for traffic announcements - I know this because I'd get things like BBC Leicester or something popping up when I drove down the M1, and I sure didn't have that as a preset!

I think yoour description is inaccurate. What those headunits do is actually this:
  1. Monitor the current station for TA flag.
  2. If the reception of the current station gets to bad, check its alternate frequencies. If one works, set the current station to that and start at (1) again.
  3. If no alternative frequency for the current station works, scan the whole band for the best station that supports TA. Set the current station to it and restart at (1).
  4. If no alternate station supports TA, tell the user about it. My old VW radio had a very unnerving beep to do so.
I really hope that the empeg will work in the same way.

cu,
sven

#100462 - 21/07/2002 08:39 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: smu]
rob
carpal tunnel

THAT'S what that maddening beep on my old Alpine head unit was! I wondered about it for years!

It's a shame I didn't find out before it was stolen :-)

Rob

#100463 - 23/07/2002 04:21 Re: TA flakey ? [Re: snoopstah]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
That's EON that does that, I sent a rather boring reply about the BBC implemenation of RDS EON here.

Andy M