Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#100996 - 24/06/2002 07:03 Gallery Installation
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I'm trying to get Gallery installed on a machine at work with Apache 1.3.2, PHP 4.2.1 and Windows NT. The installation instructions appear to be a bit thin on the ground. Does anyone know of a suitable installation guide?

Andy M

#100997 - 24/06/2002 07:09 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Believe me, I wish there were. But I think you'll find the people here very helpful. I know they were to me.

First of all, what exactly are you having problems with? Any particular stage?

I do wish the Gellery site were more helpful. The online user guide is horribly incomplete, with only a few sections which gave me some error message like "You are not allowed to view this page". huh? Oh well. I was lucky enough to end up with an online host who happened to have a setup condusive to Gallery's "expectations".

So yeah, ask away here and someone will help. I'd suggest someone, but he's probably sick from helping me

#100998 - 24/06/2002 07:31 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

I think I've got it running, but when I try to add a zip file full of images. The add photo window throws up an error message saying it can't find a certain page. It just seems generally flakey. I got it running on my laptop last night (Windows 2000) and all seemed well. But trying to install it on the machine at work has been a pain.

Andy M

#100999 - 24/06/2002 08:09 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: andym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I've never referenced anything beyond the readme files with the program, but I've also never tried installing it on Windows. When you configured it, did it find all the programs it needs, and sutible temp space?

#101000 - 24/06/2002 08:14 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, flakey's a good word.

I've decided that the best way to upload images is the FTP option. I've got a folder in my root like "uploadpics" or something, and I just point the add photos window to that URL or server path and it takes about 2 seconds to load the pics.

Frankly, I find it to be an excellent program, especially for the cash It's just too bad that someone doesn't fill out a little more of that user guide. I would help myself if I knew anything

The only thing I've disliked about gallery is that if you upload movies, you are forced to use only one image for every movie's thumbnail. I have no idea why they designed it that way. I would think it would be pretty easy to create a way to assign a different image for every movie, but oh well. At least it supports movies.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it. I've got about 10 albums, 174 photos, and much less hassle without individual HTML pages. Good program.

#101001 - 24/06/2002 08:43 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: drakino]
andym
carpal tunnel

I ended up having to tell the program where all the files were and it seemed happy. It's just when I try to upload pictures that I get the problems. If I add them one at a time then it works. Any more that that and it either times out or comes back with an error saying it can't find a web page.

Andy M

#101002 - 24/06/2002 08:50 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: andym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Any more that that and it either times out or comes back with an error saying it can't find a web page.

Ahh, the uncertanty error IE gives. Download Mozilla, try uploading with it, and see if you can get furthur with a browser that dosen't guess on errors.

Offhand if it is a real timeout, check and ensure apache can run enough processes, and also that the PHP script timeout isn't too low.

#101003 - 28/06/2002 04:13 Re: Gallery Installation [Re: drakino]
andym
carpal tunnel

I read about a fix for uploading large zip files on the gallery site, but the link points to a site that won't let me in without registering. Does anyone have the proceedure to hand so I know what to do?

Andy M