Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#108740 - 01/08/2002 09:13 Vu meters and burn-in?
mrfixit
enthusiast

Hi I was thinking of uploading those really cool looking VU meters to my empeg, but I was looking at the background. Compared to the original one it is much brighter, the numbers and the backdrop. Would I have to worry about burning the numbers and background into my screen if I left it on the VU visual for an extended amount of time?

mk2a 40gig blue no illumination....yet
hijacked

#108741 - 01/08/2002 09:49 Re: Vu meters and burn-in? [Re: mrfixit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The VFD is similar to a CRT with respect to burn-in.

Any stationary image, regardless of brightness, has the potential to create burn-in. The dimmer the image, the longer it takes.

The term "burn-in" is actually a bit of a misnomer. The correct term should be something more like "uneven aging of the pixels". This is the same whether it's a VFD or a CRT. The more a given pixel is lit, then the faster it will "age" and the dimmer it will be. So if you have some pixels lit all of the time and other pixels not lit at all, the lit pixels will age quicker and will appear dimmer relative to the other pixels.

The good news is that burn-in, even when it happens, isn't very noticeable on the empeg display.

One way you could work around this is to create a small set of favorite visuals which includes the VU meter along with a couple of other visuals. Then tell the player to auto-change between the different visuals. Then the VU meter would only be up a fraction of the time but you'd still get to see it.

#108742 - 01/08/2002 10:08 Re: Vu meters and burn-in? [Re: tfabris]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Yes, I am aware of what actualy happens to the display, and I aggree that it shuold be called somthing else, but "burn-in" seems to be the only quick way to describe it. I am a electronics repair tech and many times I have seen tv's that had the vertical go out and leave one line through the middle of the screen and if they were left on for long that line would be there forever, becuse of the intensity. Also the owners of projection tv's with kids that like to play lots of video games.. you could see the scores and enemy power levels etc. the 3 tubes in a projection set are driven so high any way it happens much faster, and if you loose the vertical on a projection set...well its time for new tubes. Thanks for the advise on the favorite visuals I never thought about that because of the bug it had, is that fixed now in beta13 ?
hijacked

#108743 - 01/08/2002 10:15 Re: Vu meters and burn-in? [Re: mrfixit]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes the bug with doubling the favorites list is fixed in beta 13.

#108744 - 01/08/2002 10:33 Re: Vu meters and burn-in? [Re: tfabris]
mrfixit
enthusiast

Cool, thanks Tony.
hijacked