Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#108786 - 05/08/2002 15:13 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
If you take until the 26th I would get mario sunshine. Also pikmin is great and can be found for 25.00 used

Matt

#108787 - 06/08/2002 21:06 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Gamecube all the way. It's a nice little system. Make sure to buy plenty of first-party software too.

Bruno

(mmmm-excellent.... ATI still gets royalties for every GCN sold. Mmmexcellent.... )

#108788 - 06/08/2002 22:04 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

ATI still gets royalties for every GCN sold.

Has it made up for the amount ATI paid for ArtX yet? Just curious, I know ArtX is doing a ton of other things for ATI as well.

#108789 - 07/08/2002 07:54 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well I'm pround to annouce that just last night I gave ATI more money...I mean, I bought a Gamecube. It certainly is a nice little machine. All totalled I got:

Gamecube (indigo, one controller)
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Wavebird
59 block memory card

I only played for about an hour, but was blown away. The graphics and speed of this thing are incredible. I only played through on the "very easy" level to get used to it, and I could barely keep up! I mean, it was incredibly easy and all, but everything goes so fast! I kinda miss the good ol days of Street Fighter II (the original)

Anyway, I'm loving it. I'll be playing it much more in the coming weeks.

#108790 - 07/08/2002 12:35 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

but everything goes so fast!

I always thought the N64 version was fast, then I put it away for a bit. Got the GameCube and didn't notice much difference, it seemed a bit faster. Plugged the N64 back in, and was amazed at how much the sped up the battle. Slow mode on the GameCube version is close to the normal speed on the N64.

Oh, and next time you get a memory card, get the 251 block one. Blocks go by quick when you get a few games.

#108791 - 07/08/2002 13:12 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I figured at under $10 bucks a pop, I'd just use one for this game. Then I can keep it in the game's case. Plus, I don't plan on buying too many games (maybe three total by Christmas), so it's fine for me for now. Plus, I believe Smash Brothers only takes up, at maximum, 14 blocks. For me it will only take 11. Depending on the next game I buy, that'll be plenty.

Unfortunately, now I have to decide which game to buy next. Most likely Mario...

#108792 - 10/08/2002 12:19 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Cool. Don't you just love those controllers?

By the way, it depends on the game, but the finger triggers have a "button" at the bottom of their travel. So you can squeeze the trigger down to the bottom for a throttle, and then give it that "extra squeeze" to click that last button for a turbo. I know you said you weren't interested in Rogue Leader, but it's one of the games that implements that feature.

And let me just second the recommendation for Super Monkey Ball. I don't care about its main single-player game, but the party games are awesome. I can play 10-round Monkey Target all night long with my daughter. Damn addictive.

#108793 - 11/08/2002 09:07 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Heh, yeah the controller is just soooo comfortable to me. The best one I've ever used. A few people have thought otherwise, but I guess people's hands are just different.

Yeah, I noticed that extra click in the L/R buttons. Frankly, if there were one complaint I have about the controllers, it's that those bottuns are kinda clunky. Hell, they seem to have about an inch of travel, which is a lot when you're desperately trying to stop Link from busting your skull in

But yeah, I've quite impressed with the system. I think my next game will be Resident Evil 1 (the remake). I never played the original, and now's my chance

#108794 - 11/08/2002 11:03 Re: Not sure which to buy... [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
it's that those bottuns are kinda clunky. Hell, they seem to have about an inch of travel, which is a lot when you're desperately trying to stop Link from busting your skull in

That's the thing, they're not just buttons, they're analog throttles. The distance of their travel is important when they are being used for games which need them to behave like analog controls.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2