Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#108970 - 02/08/2002 08:04 Another SB product bites the dust ?
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Just spotted via a Slashdot advert that http://www.mira2go.com/ are selling SB ProGear web tablets for $599 instead of the $2,799 that SB want for them on the estore.

#108971 - 02/08/2002 08:31 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: andy]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
SB ProGear web tablets for $599

Sounds like a good deal to me. Although personally I don't rate the included metal stand at all (perhaps it only works with 3-cell-battery units and I've got a 6-cell, or something); I'd advise prospective purchasers to shell out the $60 or $190 for the proper cradle.

Peter

#108972 - 02/08/2002 08:44 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Does Win2000 have driver support for the ProGears ?

#108973 - 02/08/2002 08:50 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: peter]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Peter,
What are you using it for, and is the display big enough?

#108974 - 02/08/2002 08:58 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: lockuplever]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
What are you using it for, and is the display big enough?

Well, currently I'm not using it for anything. But once in my new house (fingers x'd) I'm going to get some 802.11 kit and use ProGear as a mail and web client (evolution/konqueror -- or maybe just VNC to something running evolution and konqueror). The stand and keyboard make it a very dinky terminal, plus I can pick it up and carry it about with me (not that the house is all that big, but it's the principle of the thing).

The display is plenty big enough for that.

Peter

#108975 - 02/08/2002 09:03 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: peter]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
The other point is, that while the display is only 10.4 inches, it is a very good 1024x768 TFT. Very clear and readable indeed.

Excellent battery life as well.

pca

#108976 - 02/08/2002 09:30 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: lockuplever]
maurij

I picked one up as well with the idea of using it as a remote display for my empeg in the house and possibly a digital picture frame a la silamanajik in this link. however i have a few questions. first, i can access http site through hijack on the netscape browser that comes installed however lojack doesn't display and the site for the new http views by Charcoalgray99 doesn't say it supports netscape. any advice here? the progear os is linux 2.4.1. This leads to another question on networking. I have my empeg connected to a router at home and typically access the interent via wireless lan, except when i need to access the empeg with empolde. do i need a 10baseT switch to force 10mbs to the empeg? Shouldn't the router automatically do this based on the end device?

Second, regarding the digital picture frame. Is there a linux based screen saver program i can use to cycle through pictures over a networked harddrive? where would a new uninformed linux user find out about this stuff?

for reference, my desk computer runs win 2k and the empeg is beta 13 running hijack 289

many thanks
jason

#108977 - 02/08/2002 10:03 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: andy]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Surely something like this could be used to suite the needs of the people over in the Video Out thread?

#108978 - 02/08/2002 13:29 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: maurij]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    I have my empeg connected to a router at home and typically access the interent via wireless lan, except when i need to access the empeg with empolde. do i need a 10baseT switch to force 10mbs to the empeg? Shouldn't the router automatically do this based on the end device?
What sort of problem are you having? Are you saying that you cannot access the empeg from your wireless LAN but you can from a wired LAN? Or can you not access it at all.

Also, let's get your terminology straight so that we can be more sure what your problem is. A router is a device that connects two different networks, in your case, the internet and your local LAN. A hub is a device that connects many devices together on one network. A switch is a specialized hub that provides some additional, mostly transparent security and performance, features.

The device that you have that you're referring to as a router is probably a router that has a hub or switch built into it. Does it also have a wireless access point? (I realize I'm being a little pedagogical here, but it pays to be precise.)

Most modern switches can easily detect whether the attached device is 10Mbps or 100Mbps. Some hubs can, as well; they're usually marked as dual-speed hubs. As to whether or not the one you're using can, I don't know. These types of devices are often not of the highest quality, and even if they claim to be able to, they might not. What model do you have? Someone else may be able to confirm or deny that it works for them.

Is there a linux based screen saver program i can use to cycle through pictures over a networked harddrive? where would a new uninformed linux user find out about this stuff?
Sure. Remote filesystems under Unix are usually provided by NFS, which is (almost) totally transparent to client programs. Mounting a Windows fileshare is a little harder, but Linux also has a transparent mounting program for that.

The most common Linux screensaver these days is xscreensaver, which I think has a random image module, but, even if it doesn't, should be easy to write. You could also use something like gThumb, which isn't a screensaver, but does have a fullscreen slideshow mode.

There's a pretty good Linux software index at freshmeat.net.

#108979 - 03/08/2002 12:20 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: wfaulk]
maurij

Bitt, Thanks for your comments. You assumed correctly, I cannnot access the empeg over wireless lan but can over the wired lan. the problem is Emplode simply cannot find the device. Also as regards the router, it is a router/hub by netgear (RT314 Gateway router). I have the cable modem feeding the router/hub which feeds a seperate wireless access point and my empeg.

thank you for the linux software links, i will check those out.
jason

#108980 - 07/08/2002 11:44 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? [Re: andy]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Perhaps related: Will Windows XP Tablet edition work with this thing? I suspect not. Any opinions on cheap tablet pc's?

Calvin

#108981 - 07/08/2002 12:59 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? Linux->Win [Re: andy]
zanthos
new poster

Loc: Switzerland
hi

does anyone know if it's possible to install windows on a linux unit?

greetz
zanthos

#108982 - 07/08/2002 14:46 Re: Another SB product bites the dust ? Linux->Win [Re: zanthos]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
You probably can, but you'll need all the extra software for the touchscreen and so on.

That said, stick with Linux. The units supplied with win 98 are so sluggish as to be unuseable. the Linux distro is streamlined and runs well.