Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#109702 - 08/08/2002 00:18 Chevy Tahoe 2002???
tkmak
new poster

Loc: bay area, ca
I would like to remove the chevy separate tape deck (who uses cassettes anymore???) and place the rio car unit in the same space. The idea is to keep the stock head unit and speakers which are pretty good already...

Question is: Has anybody done this? What is involved in wiring it thru the stock head unit?

#109703 - 08/08/2002 02:47 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: tkmak]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I was in a similar situation when I wanted to mount my empeg in my 2000 Silverado. I wanted to use the stock head unit and speakers, since I was pretty satisfied with them.
There is quite a dilemma though. To use the internal amp in the factory head unit, you have to put the empeg before the stock hu, but the stock hu does not have aux inputs. There is an adapter from peripheral that goes into the 9-pin plug on the back of the stock hu (where your tape goes now) which gives you the option of aux inputs. The problem though, is that I think you have to have a cd changer hooked up to the adapter in order for it to properly emulate the factory optional cd changer. Since you have an empeg, you have no use for a cd changer, so that is not really a useful option. You could put the empeg after the stock hu, as the empeg has aux inputs, but that would require using an external amp. That also seems like a bit of a waste, since the stock hu has a pretty good amp built-in, but it may be the best option.
One last idea I can think of, is to cannibalize the tape deck. I dont know the pinout of that 9 pin harness, but perhaps there is simple analogue audio on that harness. If that is the case, then you could splice the empeg outputs into that harness, and leave the rest of the harness connected to the tape deck. You would have to leave the tape deck connected though, so that the factory hu 'sees' that there is an active input and accepts audio. I would think you could find somewhere behind the dash to hide the tape deck.
These are probably not the answers you are looking for though, so hopefully someone else here has some better ideas. Good luck.

#109704 - 08/08/2002 10:04 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: F0X]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Actually, on the PDF instructions, it says:
    The RCA audio connections on the GMKENX provide an audio input to your GM radio for use with any device that has RCA line level outputs. This feature is perfectly suited for Multimedia devices such as VCRs, DVD's, Game Systems or TV tuners. Portable music players such as MP3, MD and CD players can utilize this input as well. To activate this input you simply need to wire the GRAY wire from the GMKENX to a toggle switch that will ground the GRAY wire when selected. When the GRAY wire is grounded the CD changer will be automatically paused and audio from your auxiliary device will then be heard. When the GRAY wire is ungrounded CD changer operation will resume where it left off.

#109705 - 08/08/2002 10:14 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: wfaulk]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I had thought I read it somewhere, so I went back and checked. It definitely sounds possible from the .pdf, but on the main cd changer page it says:

Multi-Media X-Path Auxiliary Inputs - We have answered the call for a high fidelity way to feed audio into a factory radio. The Multi-Media Auxiliary input found on select Peripheral interfaces allows an auxiliary source, such as VCR, DVD, Game System, MiniDisc or MP3, to be routed directly into the factory radio through the CD Changer port. Note: Can only be utilized with aftermarket CD changer connected.

They should make this more clear in the .pdf file. My guess is that the adapter only interprets the signals between the changer and the hu, but if no changer is there, it can not emulate on its own. I dont know why someone would not make a simple box that would emulate the changer as simply as possible and only have aux inputs.

#109706 - 08/08/2002 10:26 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: F0X]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah. Sorry about the bogus info. I guess that they just have a switch inside the unit activated by that grey wire that just switches whether the audio source is coming from the CD changer or the aux inputs. Oh, well. (Edit: Nope. It actually claims that, when switched back, the changer will start playing where it left off, so it has to also be sending some sort of signal, like a pause and de-pause or something, to the changer as well. Obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Hmmm. On the instructions for the Alpine/Audiovox controller, it explicitly states that a changer must be attached, but it doesn't say that on the Kenwood one. I'll bet it does require a changer for both, but it's probably worth calling them to find out.

On the other hand, they obviously know enough about the signals to be able to translate from one system to the native GM system. You'd think they could figure out a way to fake out the GM system to allow aux inputs. Who knows?

Edited by wfaulk (08/08/2002 10:28)

#109707 - 08/08/2002 14:59 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: tkmak]
tkmak
new poster

Loc: bay area, ca
Thanks everybody... I actually have a Kenwood CD changer that I can transfer if necessary. You guys actually gave me a starting point with peripheral electronics. I emailed them today to see if they have a better solution.

if anybody else has a few cents on my installation problem, I would appreciate your imput...

thanks again,

Todd (TKMak)

#109708 - 09/04/2004 11:03 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: tkmak]
njmike
new poster

Loc: NJ
I too have a Chevy Tahoe (2001) with stock GM stereo (CD-receiver with AUX input). Ideally, at least for now... I'd like to leave the stock receiver in place and use the AUX ports, perhaps removing the "remote" tape deck (odd-sized, definitely would need to do some cutting) and installing it there.

Questions --

Has anyone had a positive experience mounting the Empeg in this vehicle? If so... how?

I'm trying to find specific information on the stereo, does anyone have any links they could share with me where I can read specs? My google searches are turning up garbage...

#109709 - 15/04/2004 18:18 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: njmike]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
I would start at PAC audio:

http://www.pac-audio.com/index.asp

#109710 - 20/04/2004 21:37 Re: Chevy Tahoe 2002??? [Re: rtundo]
njmike
new poster

Loc: NJ
Thanks rtundo...

Before I crack the ribcage on my dash... does anyone know what cable-configuration is supplying power to the remote tapedeck?