Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111026 - 22/08/2002 10:17 Re: speed input [Re: joek]
bjoern

Loc: Regensburg, Germany
Jo då, det är Björn :-)
At the moment I'm thinking about either a 6ch amp somewhere near the glove compartment (unsure if it'd fit) or two 4ch amps in both tunnels. I'll check out the amps you recommended! Thanks! If you have more tips (like pics of your install), I'd be happy if you'd email me ([email protected]) or make a new miata-thread so we can keep this thread speed specific. I'd love to have the speed signal doing something in my Empeg!! :-)

#111027 - 22/08/2002 13:56 Re: speed input [Re: bjoern]
f_devocht

Loc: Belgium
I installed my amp in the left tunnel too. Pics are on my site: http://come.to/miata

Frank

#111028 - 23/08/2002 12:12 Re: speed input [Re: f_devocht]
bjoern

Great pictures! I just got a Memphis amp off Ebay to go right there! Thanks guys!
Now as for the speed input, that would almost be too good (hint, hint :-)

#111029 - 23/08/2002 13:01 Re: speed input [Re: bjoern]
joek
new poster

Loc: Göteborg, Sweden
Good luck with the install!

The metal panel that has to be removed to get to the tunnels can be a royal pain in the butt. I didn't have the needed torx tool to remove the hardtop fittings and had to bend the panel to get it out. If I have to do it again, I would get the tools first, :-/.

Anyway, let us know how it turns out!

#111030 - 23/08/2002 13:28 Re: speed input [Re: pca]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
If the speed sensor is outputting a speed-proportional pulse train, it may be as simple as polling the correct input fast enough and converting the vaules to a speed.

I wasn't paying attention to this thread, but then it dawned on me that the sensor issues are the same as with a rally computer. Earlier this yeat I installed a sense wire (tapped into the VSS wire going to speedo) and in the research for that it seemed like most everything out there now was a pulse, switch-to-ground. These aren't consistent b/w different cars, so our rally computer uses a base pulse rate and has a calibration feature (you input a car-specific factor based on indicated versus true mileage).

This page has a few examples of VSS inputs

A local gent who wrote his own rally calculator software also put this example of a very simple VSS-to-serial input on his page. Not sure if it would be of any help to anyone, but there it is.

With the rally computer we've been using, we've found the VSS to be a little fickle, so we are going to add a switched sensor like this and use VSS as a backup. Same switch-to-ground principle, same need to calibrate.

Hmmm with all these new input possibilities, will I need to get a tuner even though I won't use it for radio???

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#111031 - 23/08/2002 15:59 Re: speed input [Re: jimhogan]
bjoern

Those are totally sweet links! Now soldering the necessary hardware shouldn't be a problem - anyone volunteer to port the software to our needs?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2