Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#111564 - 18/08/2002 10:26 Password Protected MPEG
benjammin

Loc: Champaign, IL
I just read Loren's post about losing his Empeg to theft...

it'd be kinda nice to have a password protection scheme on the unit so they can't be sync'd without it. And if the wrong password is put in, the unit disables will only power up with a LOGO I think ALL EMPEG users should have put on their unit by now with a "If Lost - " message... maybe an anonymous return contact should be put together or something...

I suppose a larger question would be, does the anti-theft devices on other car stereos actually deter theft? If you saw a faceplact missing from a pioneer player, would that stop you from stealing it?

Any thoughts on this for anyone??

-Ben

#111565 - 18/08/2002 10:32 Re: Password Protected MPEG [Re: benjammin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This has been discussed before.

There is no password protection on the empeg because any system implemented can be overridden simply by applying a software upgrade and/or formatting the drives.

The only proper secure password protection would be built into the hardware (which it isn't) and even if it were, it would be a pain in the ass to administer, would be a pain in the ass to legitimate users, and would require a support team at SonicBlue to answer phone calls from legitimate users who forgot their password.

#111566 - 18/08/2002 10:34 Re: Password Protected MPEG [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh, and not only that, it wouldn't deter the theft. (Since the thief wouldn't discover the protection until after he stole it). It would just mean the now-worthless player is discarded instead of re-used or re-sold by the thief.

#111567 - 18/08/2002 11:15 Re: Password Protected MPEG [Re: tfabris]
benjammin

Loc: Champaign, IL
Right... granted that was in my original post... would the Empeg gain a reputation that would make it unpalattable to thieves... but as you correctly re-affirmed... thieves aren't that smart.. (If they were, they'd be employees, not thieves. )

Best offense is a good defense. When you leave the car, take the player with you. <heheh>

See yaz,

-Ben