Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#112241 - 21/08/2002 08:19 Wire Insulation Posssible Problem?
philsohn
new poster

I'm working on moving my empeg from one car to another and noticed that the insulation on a couple of the wires is starting to crack. This is happening right at the back of the sled. The worst two are the front output pair. It looks like these are in danger of shorting out any time. This leads to two questions:

1) Would a short here damage the empeg? (I'm not worried about sound quality since I send the output into another head unit, I just used the rear pair which are fine.)

2) Is there an easy way to fix this? It looks like it would be extremely difficult to wrap them with electrical tape without risking pulling the wires out of the connectors. Is there some sort of liquid insulation?

I'm worried about this in the long run especially since the new install is J-DIN size, so the sled did not fit. I unscrewed the connector from the sled and slide the empeg directly into the car. This means there will be more flex on this connector when I remove and reinsert the empeg.

Phil

#112242 - 21/08/2002 08:55 Re: Wire Insulation Posssible Problem? [Re: philsohn]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you wish to work on the wiring at the back of the docking connector, there is an instructional video here showing how to do it correctly.

I wouldn't bother doing any tricks with electrical tape or liquid glue. I'd just remove the offending connectors as shown in the video, shorten the cable past the fray point, and reconnect it.

#112243 - 21/08/2002 15:29 Re: Wire Insulation Posssible Problem? [Re: philsohn]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Is there some sort of liquid insulation?

Clear RTV silicon, available at any auto parts store will work.

tanstaafl.

#112244 - 21/08/2002 15:57 Re: Wire Insulation Possible Problem? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Clear RTV silicon

Although glass would probably be a fine insulator, I didn't know they made it in Room Temperature Vulcanizing form.