Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#115153 - 07/09/2002 22:11 Which red lens to match audi red dash?
nrh
new poster

I've got a 2001 Audi S4 that I'll be attempting a custom install in soon. What's the best red to match the dash colors? According to the archives, the Darkstorm deep red matches really well, but has anyone found a way to make it visible during the daytime?

Also, what's the difference between Gel and non-Gel lenses?

Is there anywhere left to buy extra tuner/docking modules?

Edited by nrh (07/09/2002 22:14)

#115154 - 07/09/2002 23:41 Re: Which red lens to match audi red dash? [Re: nrh]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, the empeg red is the one with poorest visibilty in daytime of the original lenses - from what i reckon the Deep red is even darker... (just the impression I've come to from reading posts here).

A gel lens is a smoke or clear lens with a gel attached (permanently?) and a gel is a thin filter that you can attach to any existing lens you have. It might be a better idea to try to match the backlighting in the instrument cluster by going with a gel. IIRC special lavender or something like that is close...

/Michael

#115155 - 08/09/2002 09:22 Re: Which red lens to match audi red dash? [Re: nrh]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
Hmm I had the same dilemma with my Audi. I purchased Darkstorm's neon red lens. The match isn't perfect, but given the fact that it is a red lens, it is remarkably visible even in the day - but suffers the same problem as just about any other lens out there in direct sunlight.

The beveled edge lights up at night neon red, and gives a really cool effect.

Let me know if you try one of the gels, I'd be interested to see how well they match. Actually - I might just try that myself.

Good luck. I'll be in Cinncinnatti in 2 weeks if you want to see my install.

#115156 - 08/09/2002 11:28 Re: Which red lens to match audi red dash? [Re: BleachLPB]
dewdman42

I've been thinking about trying out the deep red lense for my audi as well. Haven't tried it yet because of concerns about daytime. Right now I'm just using factory blue lense..and i actually don't mind it in the audi. Since I have another aftermarket tuner/CD player right below the empeg that has white and blue display...the empeg isn't the only non-red thing in the dash and it looks fine.

#115157 - 09/09/2002 15:24 Re: Which red lens to match audi red dash? [Re: BleachLPB]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
It is closer than any other one. The standard "red" lense is really an orange-red when compared to the Audi dash. Darkstorm's "deep red" is almost perfect. But as you mentioned, it suffers in the daytime hardcore...

I changed my stock lights in my Eclipse to a deep red color, so i have the same issue as you. I've most recently gone to a smoke lense from Darkstorm. It's a greenish tint, but it's so far away from any other red bulbs, or from the red color, that it's been fine for me. And to boot, it looks great in the day (dark lens with dark dashboard), and it's legible in almost any lighting condition at all, even with the sun shining onto it through the back window. I do most of my driving during the day, so I took that over the color-matching.