Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11750 - 24/07/2000 12:37 Amps
Squid
stranger

Loc: CA
I am green when it comes to car stereos (can install the head unit if it just requires pulling out the old one, and plugging the harness in) so I was wondering if anyone had AMP recommendations. I want something small that can fit in my dash (Chevy Tracker 2000, 4dr) as I have plenty of room in the dash where the old stereo would be once it is replaced by the EMPEG. I have till September (I hope) before receiving my order verification so plenty of time for amp shopping.

Someone did mention the Legacy LA120 since it is small. I have factory speakers. I may replace them one day but not for awhile.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is:

#11751 - 24/07/2000 12:42 Re: Amps [Re: Squid]
mcousins
new poster

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What do you mean you are putting the amp in your dash? You also say that you will have room after removing your stereo, but aren't you putting the Empeg in there? Pretty much all amps are big, small amps just can't compare to a good sized amp in general. This is because the more room you have in an amp the less crosstalk you have between circuits. You can also fit bigger components in to get more power out of it. An amp is usually placed in the trunk or under a front seat.

Mike Cousins
#14979 on the waiting list
#14979 on the waiting list

#11752 - 24/07/2000 12:51 Re: Amps [Re: mcousins]
Squid
stranger

mcousins wrote:
>You also say that you will have room after removing your stereo, but aren't you putting the Empeg in there?
Yes, the factory radio takes up a large amount of space (i can fit 2 normal head units in there) so I assume that the EMPEG will take up half and the amp take up the other half.

>This is because the more room you have in an amp the less crosstalk you have between circuits.
I was not aware of this but surely they have small amps where this problem is minimized? What causes crosstalk?

>An amp is usually placed in the trunk or under a front seat.
I was kind of hoping to avoid that so I do not have to run wires everywhere. Under a front seat would not be bad but the trunk is out (too much stuff to tote with a kid and I do not think there is any place to put it out of the way in the back).

Thanks.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#11753 - 24/07/2000 12:57 Re: Amps [Re: Squid]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Squid,

I hope I'm not sounding patronizing here. But from your responses, it sounds like you'd best be served by a professional installer to help you select an amp and install it for you.

Although you could probably find a way to fit a small amp into a dashboard, it is not an ideal location because, in your case, it sounds like it would radiate its heat directly into the Empeg.

Now, that's not to say it hasn't been done before. I've done it, and I've had a friend that's done it, but we both knew what we were doing and could handle the thermal issues ourselves. As a car installation newbie, you're much better off hiring an expert to do the job.

#11754 - 24/07/2000 13:09 Re: Amps [Re: tfabris]
Squid
stranger

>I hope I'm not sounding patronizing here
Now i have to kick your a**. ;) No patronizing taken. I admit I am a newbie and usually have others do these things but figured I might try it myself.

>it sounds like it would radiate its heat directly into the Empeg
I had hoped a small amp would not cause enough heat to be a problem.

>you're much better off hiring an expert to do the job
anyone in Northern VA (USA) to recommend? Most of the places I called just to see what their prices were for an installation cost like $100. And that was just for a head unit. I know, I am spending over $1k for the EMPEG and that is why I'd like to not pay so much for an install.

I assume a newbie can install the EMPEG, though, right? I've installed a head unit before with no problems. 7 screws, soldering harness to the units wires and wa-la.

Thanks for the tips.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#11755 - 24/07/2000 13:25 Re: Amps [Re: Squid]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I know, I am spending over $1k for the EMPEG and that is why I'd like to not pay so much for an install.

And the standard response to that statement is: "If you're spending that much on an Empeg, then it's valuable enough to spend a little more to make sure the job's done right."

I assume a newbie can install the EMPEG, though, right? I've installed a head unit before with no problems. 7 screws, soldering harness to the units wires and wa-la.

Correct, the docking sleeve is no more difficult to install than any other car stereo head unit. However, it's a pullout. There aren't any more consumer-market pullout units that I'm aware of, but back when there were, those sometimes involved a little more work than usual. They have tabs instead of screw holes, and you have to make sure they can handle the push-pull stress the unit will encounter during its lifetime.

In my case, I actually drilled some holes in the Empeg's docking sleeve to match it up with some holes on my Honda radio frame. This gives it an incredibly secure, completely wiggle-free mounting that's quite professional looking. But going to that kind of trouble isn't strictly necessary.

The fact that you say "soldering" as opposed to "twisting" or "crimping" gives me hope for you, though. If you're used to soldering and shrink-tubing the wires, you're not as much of a newbie as you let on.

#11756 - 24/07/2000 13:42 Re: Amps [Re: tfabris]
Squid
stranger

>And the standard response to that statement is: "If you're spending that much on an Empeg, then it's valuable enough to spend a little more to make sure the job's done right."
Damn those standard responses! ;) I know...I wanna be cheap but then I'd buy an AIWA, wouldn't I.

>They have tabs instead of screw holes, and you have to make sure they can handle the push-pull stress the unit will encounter during its lifetime.
Hmm, the headunit I have uses tabs, too...I wonder if I can salvage something from the original stereo to use for securing it...I don't think I will drill holes but...

>The fact that you say "soldering" as opposed to "twisting" or "crimping" gives me hope for you, though. If you're used to soldering and shrink-tubing the wires, you're not as much of a newbie as you let on.
Well, i have done it. not an expert, though. my first soldering project was a radio shack build-it-yourself intercom. talk about a glob of solder...

thanks for the info. do u have a Mk 2?

#11757 - 24/07/2000 14:09 Re: Amps [Re: Squid]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

do u have a Mk 2?

Not yet. I'm pretty happy with my mark 1. Not sure if I'll be able to get a Mark 2 soon or not. I'm starting to want one more and more, though...