Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#117664 - 23/09/2002 10:01 WinXP Networking Help
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hello All

First of all, major apologies to everyone who attended the Cinncinatti meet, I really was looking forward to going however circumstances here in Windsor dictated that I stay home.

A question about file sharing with WinXP...I now have a MP3 file server up and running on my home network. It is running WinXP SP1 and connected to the network through a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router. I have a Norton firewall installed on both machines and my main computer is also running WinXP SP1 as well.

I am going nutz because I cannot share my music folder on the file server on the network, my main machine does not see it. I have enabled file sharing on both machines and the music folder is shared on the file server. I thought that it may be the firewall but disabling the firewall on both machines didn't help either.

I am using VNC to control the file server and it works well however it doesn't allow file transfers to take place between machines, so I am forced to use Windows file sharing....

So what am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance

#117665 - 23/09/2002 10:04 Re: WinXP Networking Help [Re: ineedcolor]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Your firewalls are almost certainly stopping the transfer. You need to tell Norton that it can trust the IP addresses of the machines on your local network. I don't use Norton, so I can't tell you how to achieve that.