Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#118888 - 02/10/2002 00:28 Danger HipTop/T-Mobile Sidekick?
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
After coming across this slashdot story i've been seriously considering switching to the new HipTop/Sidekick. The main appeal is unlimited data usage on T-Mobile, for email, web and IM. The phone looks nice enough, and seems to have everything I'd like except bluetooth. The keyboard looks nice, and hopefully it should be syncronisable with a desktop PIM soon.

Anyone have an input? Should I stick with my orginal plan of trying out a T68 with AT&T GSM when it comes out? I'll probably go hit my local CompUSA tomorrow and see what it feels like...

Matthew

#118889 - 02/10/2002 02:18 Re: Danger HipTop/T-Mobile Sidekick? [Re: matthew_k]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
A few things to keep in mind:

All your data is stored on their servers, so read those terms and conditions carefully.

The platform isn't officially 'open' in the way that Symbian is, so third-party software (esp. free software) might be hard to come by.

From the photos I've seen, it looks cheap and plasticky, however they could have been prototypes - keep build quality in mind when checking it out.

And size is quite an important factor; if you're going to get the sidekick, get a small phone as well so you have something to use when you don't want to lug the sidekick around.