Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#120065 - 09/10/2002 18:51 all files static
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
OK I've searched for this but no luck I got into the car Empeg booted up and it went into player last song listened to was nothing but static. I thought maybe it was on the tuner wait no it wasn't back to player mode and still static, switch songs still static, every song had bad static. I proceeded to reboot ala Hijack evrything is back to normal.
The player was fine when last shut off.
On a side note my batt icon still comes on even after putting in a 3G ford alt. upgrade and a high crank battery also including a 1farad cap. (I know still hasn't been proved to actually do anything). I'm going to measure voltage output but it should be enough yet every bootup starts (4 sec) w/batt icon lit. Is this like a diagnostic light on cars and comes on every startup as a check?

#120066 - 19/10/2002 20:25 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
jwickis
addict

#120067 - 19/10/2002 20:43 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Read the thread titled "battery icon coming off standby" in the General forum. That would probably explain the battery icon being on. I'm not sure about your other problem though.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#120068 - 19/10/2002 20:59 Re: all files static [Re: Laura]
jwickis
addict

Thanks for the pointer however I kinda gave up on that problem and to the many others more important. I was curious as to why one time all the files were complete static. I'll be glad when a finished version of the software program gets out. It's taking more & more time to use my Empeg what w/checking the boards making the tags right and trying to get it to run right all the time not to mention all the money spent for extras for it. I'm getting so close to the 'For Sale' board evry day.

#120069 - 19/10/2002 21:04 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
That's a shame that you feel that way. What version of software are you running and what other more important problems are you having?

Most of us have very few problems, just a little quirk now and then.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#120070 - 19/10/2002 23:48 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The static and battery icon problem should not be happening. Please contact support to see if they can find out what your problem is.

#120071 - 20/10/2002 06:44 Re: all files static [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

The static and battery aren't related (I combined problems into one post) the all files static was a one time thing, so far, I wouldn't think support could do much about that. I did read about the battery icon thread and agree that something has changed to make the icon start everytime the player does (in car). That's why my post asked if the icon was suppose to light up much like a car diagnostic light does for a few seconds but reeived no answer.

#120072 - 20/10/2002 06:57 Re: all files static [Re: Laura]
jwickis
addict

I'm running the latest of evrything player, Hijack, JEmplode, Emplode. While most of the problems that are posted on the BBS don't happen to my player the few that do never seem to get answered as to how to fix. It seems more and more things are added without the fixing of the old. I'm just ranting but it seems I'm constantly having to check the BBS for hours not to mention the writing of all the IDtags for the files that takes time just for the player to say one day that it's lost all of the settings and have to replace everything, EQ settings, Time, date etc. then to keep up with the software updates hoping for the fix. Much as I like the player it's just way too time consuming all around for me.

#120073 - 20/10/2002 08:55 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
DeadFire
addict

The battery icon lights up when the empeg isn't getting enough power. For me, this used to happen constantly when I first installed it. I managed to narrow it down to my car's wiring. It wasn't sufficient to run the empeg and my CD receiver. I now have the empeg's constant (yellow) line wired directly to the car battery's positive terminal (through an in-line fuse), and haven't had a problem since. And this is with no electrical system upgrades.

That power drop-off can be the cause of many other problems. So I would submit that you solve that first and then see how it behaves. If you already have wired the yellow line to the battery, and are still seeing that icon, then I think you need to contact support.

As for the static incident: If you haven't seen it twice, then why bother?

Also, in this poster's opinion, it sounds like you are letting yourself become overwhelmed by minor problems with a new toy that you don't fully understand. Take some time to read the boards and ask questions. Don't "freak out."

If you're not willing to learn what you need to know and take the time necessary to sort any non-support issues out with your empeg, then I suggest you downgrade your software back to 1.03, both player and emplode (no more Hijack or other add-ons), and wait until the next full version software release to upgrade. Stop whining like a little kid when you have a minor glitch. Especially when you are running beta software an add-ons whose warnings state that you may or may not have problems.

#120074 - 20/10/2002 09:43 Re: all files static [Re: DeadFire]
jwickis
addict

First thing I've had my Empeg for quite awhile 2 years and the problems I've encountered aren't the ones you propose please check and reread my posts and you'll see that. All things you have proposed have been checked and eliminated please read. I know your new and trying to help and I guess you see your post as help I am not new as you say but have had my player for over 2 years. There's no whining as you put it involved merely trying to get an answer when posting a question some like to travel off in another direction that has nothing to do with the original question thereby getting no resolve. Please don't me a favor and don't respond to my posts.

#120075 - 20/10/2002 09:47 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Do you have a tuner? ISTRT some folks have seen a problem where the tuner will be the actual source, but the player source will be what appears to be active according to the UI. It might be possible that this is what happened to you and your tuner wasn't tuned to a station in your area. Just a guess, though, and no one has found a resolution to that problem, AFAIK, but it doesn't happen very often. I've never encountered it myself.

#120076 - 20/10/2002 09:54 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    not to mention the writing of all the IDtags for the files that takes time ...
Are you talking about fixing tags for all your existing mp3s? If they're regularly named, then just use a program to go update them. If they're not, how did you expect the empeg to work? Or are you talking about fixing them on the player only? You should fix your ID3 tags before you upload them to the player.
    ... just for the player to say one day that it's lost all of the settings and have to replace everything, EQ settings, Time, date etc.
?!?

I've had my player in constant use for nearly two years and I've never had to ``replace everything''. Many of the tracks on the unit are the same ones I uploaded the first day I had the player, and they've survived several software upgrades, innumerable Hijack uploads, lots of software hacking, having drives swapped to test my unstable kernel hacks, etc. Never lost a thing.

Maybe you've got a defective unit?

#120077 - 20/10/2002 10:04 Re: all files static [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

... just for the player to say one day that it's lost all of the settings and have to replace everything, EQ settings, Time, date etc.

I've had my player in constant use for nearly two years and I've never had to ``replace everything''.

I've had that happen a few times. It's happened perhaps four times in the nearly two years I've owned the player. It's just a loss of the flash settings, so you don't lose the critical stuff, you just lose the flash. Which in my case, means I have to reset:

- Hijack bass/treble adjustment.
- Hijack popup info setting
- Hijack voladj setting
- Hijack disk-check setting
- Hijack restore visuals setting

- Player time zone
- Player selected EQ preset
- Player loudness/volume/balance/etc.
- Player info screen settings
- Player selected visual
- Player time format settings
- Player dimmer settings

It doesn't lose stuff that's stored on the scratch partition like the current playlist or the EQ details. Although it does lose its current position in the playlist and which EQ is selected.

Since I've had that problem happen both with the stock kernel (a long time ago) and the Hijack kernel (very recently), I'm not sure what the cause of the problem is.

#120078 - 20/10/2002 10:05 Re: all files static [Re: wfaulk]
jwickis
addict

Yes I do have a tuner but upon further checking that was ruled out. I tried going to the next song and it was static but different like you could hear the song playing barely. I switched to the tuner and it was fine so it wasn't the tuner.

#120079 - 20/10/2002 10:11 Re: all files static [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Thanks for all the help the real problems I'm having, some described here and some in another post, are just now happening. It's unfortunate that I had to post as I did to finally get someone to read it the original post of this has been awhile. I'm not new to all this I've been here for over two years so even support is not an option my player has been out of warranty for some time now. The player had no problems whatsoever before now maybe the age is getting to it the odd thing is it's still practically brand new for I've taken nothing but the best care of it. I don't use my Rio branded player at all but I'm going to now but it has the problems discussed in another post.

#120080 - 20/10/2002 10:15 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Even if your player is out of warranty, I'm sure that if you ask nicely, David will be able to help you narrow down the problem. Perhaps it's something that you can fix yourself or that he can fix cheaply.

#120081 - 20/10/2002 17:12 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
DeadFire
addict

... the problems I've encountered aren't the ones you propose...

I can read just fine. Unfortunately, when people neglect to use punctuation or word their sentences in an easy to read manner, I have trouble discerning what the actual problem is. I therefore can (and did) only suggest solutions from my own experience and what I've read.

Apparently, despite what you had said earlier, you were not getting the battery icon appearing on your screen. That is what I was responding to, and I'm very sorry for offering my point of view in the first place, as well as letting slip that comment about whining. I tend to do that when people type like 4 year olds.

So please disregard anything I've said, as I obviously wasn't able to make out what your real problems with your empeg are from what you typed.

#120082 - 20/10/2002 17:58 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
every song had bad static

as in, you could hear what sounded like the song, but with distortion, or, it wasn't recognizible as the song?

#120083 - 20/10/2002 18:00 Re: all files static [Re: jwickis]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Please don't me a favor and don't respond to my posts.

Actually, I guess with this attitude I'm sorry I responded. Never mind, I don't care what your static was.

#120084 - 20/10/2002 18:12 Re: all files static [Re: Daria]
DeadFire
addict

It was me he didn't want to respond.

#120085 - 20/10/2002 18:19 Re: all files static [Re: DeadFire]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Good for him; Why should I reward bad attitudes? If my boss did it I'd tell him off, and he pays me. Same with my parents. What chance does someone else stand?