9a's up. Some cool additions. AC/DC equalizer presets work great.

Something some of you might want to know about that feature:

You now have two personalities for each EQ preset. When plugged in at home, you will get the "home" presets. When plugged in to the car, you will get the "car" presets. Each preset will share the same name and number, and they will switch automatically when you move the unit from the home to the car.

(Those clever folks who have outfitted a second docking sleeve in the house don't get this feature-- the unit detects where it's plugged in based on which power input is being used, and a second docking sleeve looks just like a car to the Empeg, regardless of whether it's indoors or not.)

When you first upgrade from 8c to 9a, it might look like your EQ presets were lost. That's because you probably looked at the EQ right when you finished upgrading the unit, when it was on AC power. Actually, all of your 8c equalizer presets should still be there, but they're the "car" personalities now, i.e., you can't see/edit them unless you've plugged the unit into the car.

If you had a different EQ preset for home and car and switched manually between them (like I did), all you need to do is reprogram your "home" settings into the proper EQ slot that corresponds to the desired "Car" setting. For example, if you had "1. In Car" and "2. In House" before, you just need to plug the unit into the AC power, program the desired home settings (the ones that used to be #2) into slot 1, then rename it something more generic. And erase/rename the old #2 if you want.

When I tell it, it sounds more complicated than it really is. It's actually quite transparent to the end-user. You just twiddle the EQ's the way you like them in the corresponding environment, hit save, and you're done. No more hand-switching EQ settings every time you plug the unit in at home.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.