Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#12618 - 02/08/2000 10:32 IrDA Device access
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Given a kernel containing IrDA support, does the player open the device? If so, is it opened for exclusive access?

What is the source of the IrDA device? The Debian distribution, or in-house empeg? What IOCTLs and other hooks does it support?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#12619 - 02/08/2000 13:51 Re: IrDA Device access [Re: schofiel]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
I was just wondering about IrDA stuff today, and realised I haven't got the faintest idea what I would have to do to get it going

At the minute I really would like to be able to access the shell on a developer image using my Palm or Psion 5. I seem to recall Hugo saying in a message on the board somewhere that they had laptops talking to the player over IR.

Ok, this is really going to show me up as not being quite the Linux freak I like to pretend I am at work (if only to try to get away from Cobol work!)

What needs to be done to get a kernel with IrDA support? Is it just ('just' he says) a matter of configuring a kernel and compiling it with the toolchain? (Is the toolchain on the developer site still up-to-date?) Where does the 'irutils' package come from? How would one go about getting the empeg to talk to the serial port on /dev/ttyS2, and would that cause problems with trying to update kernels with the serial port?

Take pity on someone who has realised the water is a bit deeper than he thought and whose feet seem to have left the bottom

If anyone has got an empeg command shell working over IrDA, I'd like to learn how... programming the thing to unlock neighbouring cars is way down my list

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#12620 - 02/08/2000 16:10 Re: IrDA Device access [Re: Geoff]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The mk2 upgrade files contain an IrDA kernel, though we don't turn it on. As I remember, there's IRCOMM support compiled in, but not IRLPT or IR networking.

The player doesn't open it (yet), no.

Hugo