Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#12721 - 02/08/2000 11:10 questions
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
if i want to be able to search for specific songs, i assume that it would be better to name all mp3s starting with the song name, rather than the artist or album, so that instead of typing in "Led Zeppelin Stairway To Heaven", i can just begin to type "Stairway...". does this make sense? or can i search by the song field in the id3 tag, eliminating this problem?

is it safe now to upload a few gig of mp3s now, or should i do it in small batches to aviod synch errors?

if i ordered my empeg last night (12 gig, green), when should it arrive? any ideas?

lastly, i just wanted to commend the empeg team, especially rob. i emailed him with an ordering question at 10 pm their time last night, and i heard back in 5 minutes. the whole company has demonstrated this kind of dedication to us customers, and i continue to be impressed by it. thanks.

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#12722 - 02/08/2000 11:14 Re: questions [Re: jstrain]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've heard that it's wise to transfer smaller batches than "a few gigs" at a time. Of course, I don't have an empeg, so what would I know?

DiGNAN

#12723 - 02/08/2000 11:20 Re: questions [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Windows file names are not used once the song goes into emplode. As someone else put it more eloquently: "The file names don't survive the trip to the empeg".

The empeg goes entirely on its internal database of song information, which it pulls from the song's ID3 tag. You don't need to have the ID3 tags filled out ahead of time... but it REALLY helps a lot. Yes, that stuff can be edited after you've already put the songs into the empeg, but it's much easier to have your ID3 tags in order before you start sending them to the empeg.

The file names are only important when you're dragging and dropping the songs into emplode. Personally, I make sure to have the album and track number as one part of the file name, so that I can drag them into emplode in the correct order. For instance, my file names look like:

Rush - Moving Pictures - 01 - Tom Sawyer.mp3
Rush - Moving Pictures - 02 - Red Barchetta.mp3

(etc.)

AudioCatalyst allows you to save your MP3s as those file names by default.

#12724 - 02/08/2000 11:21 Re: questions [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've heard that it's wise to transfer smaller batches than "a few gigs" at a time. Of course, I don't have an empeg, so what would I know?

That was when they were getting lots of synch errors. Those have been pretty much eliminted. So you can do bigger synchs now.

#12725 - 02/08/2000 14:23 Re: questions [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, jstrain... I just added your file-name question to the FAQ section of the BBS. I also added some more stuff from older threads about filling out the song names in the ID3 tags. Check it out.

#12726 - 04/08/2000 05:35 Re: questions [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Blimey Tony, you're optimistic. Some of us poor sods have to download over serial. Just 3 or 4 albums and you're talking about an overnight download. A Few Gigs? You must be joking, I'd never be able to listen to the darn thing!

Mind you though, I seem to be more patient than most about this. It prolongs my interest in the beast more and more as I trickle my collection down the wires into the gi-normous bit bucket at the other end

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#12727 - 04/08/2000 05:38 Re: questions [Re: schofiel]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Just curious, but why the need to download over serial? That would drive me insane!

DiGNAN

#12728 - 04/08/2000 08:08 Re: questions [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Just curious, but why the need to download over serial?

1) They have a Mark 1 and therefore USB is the only high-speed option (ethernet is N/A on the Mark 1).

2) They are not running a computer with a USB port, or,

3) They are not running the Windows98 or Windows2000 operating systems. For instance, if they have Win95 or WinNT4, USB does not work on those OS's (Microsoft's fault, not Empeg's). Or they may be on a different operating system, such as Macintosh running a Windows emulator, for which USB doesn't work, either.

Personally, serial synching is so slow that if I were in that situation, I'd go to the extra trouble of buying a Win98-capable PC just so I could synch with it.

#12729 - 04/08/2000 08:12 Re: questions [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I would too. I was just asking to get which situation he was in. If it's because you don't have a serial port, then just get one of these:

DiGNAN

#12730 - 04/08/2000 08:36 Re: questions [Re: Dignan]
scoco

Loc: St. Louis, MO
That little gem saved me... my motherboard (ASUS P2B-DS) has USB ports, however there was a design flaw and none of the usb ports worked on any of them until a latter revision. Serial syncing really sucked. I couldn't belive the defference after switching to USB... of course I had to install 98 on a different partition, but now with win 2k I don't even have to do that.