Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#128278 - 27/11/2002 09:29 car & powering off + other strangeness
schwartz
new poster

Loc: San Jose, ca
So, here's what's going on. Empeg was working fine after I initially got it. Then one day I decided to brave an upgrade to the hijack kernel. Everything was fine, except that when I turned my car off, the player would stop, but the LED would continue blinking, and would draw power from the car. I tried everything I could to fix this, even going so far as to basically rebuild the entire empeg's os. Nothing worked. So I just dealt with it, and removed it and put it under the seat or took it with me inside.

Then one day I upgraded to v291, and voila! No more problem. It would completely power off when I turned the car off. I did no other change (I think) than this.

Then the other day, I decided to upgrade to v300. Same problem again! I know for sure I changed nothing but this, other than updating some music. So when I got home later that evening, I downgraded to v291 again. Put it in my car, now does it not completely power off as it should, but the player doesn't even stop. Also, I noticed (and this may've been in the initial v300 upgrade as well, I don't remember) but I no longer have a fader option for the sound, nor can I have a 4 channel equalizer.

So does anyone have any idea what the deal is? Am I smoking crack? Is my empeg smoking crack?

#128279 - 27/11/2002 10:00 Re: car & powering off + other strangeness [Re: schwartz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
the LED would continue blinking, and would draw power from the car

This is expected behaviour -- it's not broken.

When you turn off the ignition, the mk2/mk2a goes into standby, rather than turning off completely. It'll turn off after a (configurable) delay. The LED will continue to flash while this is happening.

Are you saying that it's never turning off?

Edited by Roger (27/11/2002 10:01)

#128280 - 27/11/2002 10:02 Re: car & powering off + other strangeness [Re: schwartz]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
but I no longer have a fader option for the sound

This is in the FAQ

#128281 - 27/11/2002 10:02 Re: car & powering off + other strangeness [Re: Roger]
schwartz
new poster

When I originally had the problem, it would go into standby and never power off (configured to forever?)

Currently, even downgrading back to v291, it's not powering off at all. I've realized that it probably thinks it's still in AC mode, hence why I don't have a fader & 4 channel equalizer. I've checked the 'force ad/cd mode' setting, and it's set to normal.

#128282 - 27/11/2002 10:08 Re: car & powering off + other strangeness [Re: schwartz]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well, the turning on/off behavior definitly comes from not knowing if it's on AC or DC. If you havn't forced it through hijack, it's possible that the switch that detects if a power cord is inserted in the back has gone bad. I'm not sure how to check this, however. Perhaps try putting the power cord in and out a few times to get things loosened up?

Matthew

#128283 - 27/11/2002 10:16 Re: car & powering off + other strangeness [Re: schwartz]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Right, as Roger said, it's in the FAQ right here, so click here to get fix information. Also, you might want to click here to read about the details of standby mode.

#128284 - 28/11/2002 10:25 Re: car & powering off + other strangeness [Re: schwartz]
schwartz
new poster

You guys were right, a bit of jostling and I got it to behave.

Thanks!