Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#128285 - 27/11/2002 11:11 Suggestion for community
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
Seems it might make sense to have a forum (or website, or whathaveyou) dedicated to the latest info on startup projects. For example, sifting through all the posts on the Tuner II project to get the latest info can get a bit tiresome. Having one place to go to get info on new projects before they have dedicated web pages (a la Hijack, jEmplode, S/PDIF) would be nice. Obviously creating it so only project managers can post info is a requirement.

I'm not sure if these calls for a new website, using something like sourceforge, or if this could be done in the forums, but it seems it would enhance the community, and cut down on questions like "I haven't got time to search, so what's the latest on..."
Just a thought

#128286 - 27/11/2002 11:42 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: Sheetzam]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Riocar.org can/does serve this purpose.

#128287 - 27/11/2002 12:04 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: robricc]
drakino
carpal tunnel

And to add to this, any user can submit a news story/download link/review of any product or project. If someone wants to host their project, use the e-mail admin link at the bottom of the site.

#128288 - 27/11/2002 12:18 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: robricc]
Sheetzam

Well certainly it can. After this wonderful suggestion, I decided to check it out, and found that it did have (sort of) recent info on a couple things, but shockingly little on a couple others I am keenly interested in. For example, trying to find any info on the Tuner mk 2? Nothing. Saw mention of Text-to-Speech work being done in another thread, and can't find any info on that either.
My point is again, a central place to find the latest info on projects would be good. I know it's more up to the leads on those projects to pass along info, I was just thinking having a central, easy to use (and find) place for that would be good. I'm definitely thinking something along the lines of sourceforge, like that already started for jEmpeg, Nav'em (now dead?), and others.
Maybe the framework/utilities already exist, just no one is really using them? Maybe a new topic on riocar.org for projects might be in order?

#128289 - 27/11/2002 12:52 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: Sheetzam]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, the information at riocar.org is lacking in certain areas, and there's a few reasons for that;

1) All of the projects and FAQs are being done on a volunteer basis. If someone wants to volunteer to add documentation for any project, then they are free to do so, and would probably be appreciated, especially since developers typically hate creating documentation.

2) A lot of the projects are still in development. The TTS projects, for example, are not really ready for prime-time adoption by non-techie types. Creating documentation for these projects at the moment could be an issue since (a) it would probably get outdated quickly, and (b) the development and/or acceptance of the projects may be slowed by end user frustration and support issues. That's not to say that these projects are for techies only, or that they shouldn't be documented. But just because the developers are using the BBS for collaboration doesn't mean that they are yet suitable for non-techies.

3) The developer didn't get around to it yet, and got side-tracked by the next project.

#128290 - 27/11/2002 13:19 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: Sheetzam]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
If you haven't got time to search, you don't really need the answer.

#128291 - 27/11/2002 16:18 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: Daria]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If you haven't got time to search, you don't really need the answer.

What search term do you recommend I use here on the BBS to find the next cool project for the empeg? Not knowing what someone is working on is the biggest problem. Personally, I only scan the technical and programming areas of the BBS every week or two, so I do miss some things that get burried in there. To me, it would be much easier to browse the RioCar.org download or news sections to see what is out then to dig through hundreds of posts mindlessly looking for something new.

#128292 - 27/11/2002 21:26 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: genixia]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
genixia is right. When the projects become mature enough for Joe Sixpack to use, they will definitely create enough buzz to (a) be found easily on the BBS or (b) get a news story or at least a file link on Riocar.org.

I don't 100% agree with the "no time to search, don't want the answer" theory, but if you don't have the time to at least surface-scan the Programming and Projects forums on occasion, you definitely won't have the sufficient time or patience to deal with all of the bugs and missing features found in the projects in those early stages!

#128293 - 27/11/2002 21:32 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: drakino]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Um, what about the Projects forum on this BBS? I know I'm crapping it up with stupid ideas, but it's at least a place where we can look for, what else, projects.

Perhaps there could be a low-volume, project-manager-only "Projects Announcements" forum kinda like "Announcements." Project managers could PM the BBS admin (genixia? i forget off hand) and request to be a PA (projects announcement) moderator / poster.

THen, we could babble on in Projects and keep the development notes in PA. Cool?

#128294 - 29/11/2002 11:08 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: tonyc]
Sheetzam

Well I agree in principle with what you write. However, if given a choice between taking an hour to comb through the board for the latest info on various projects in order to decide what I've got an interest and time to deal with, or spending 15 minutes or so on that process, and the other 45 actually trying something out, which would you rather do?

#128295 - 29/11/2002 11:10 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: FireFox31]
Sheetzam

That would probably simplify thing immensly! If it's a matter of finding someone to moderate a specific forum dedicated to latest project info, I would be quite happy to volunteer.

#128296 - 29/11/2002 11:13 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: Daria]
Sheetzam

Not exactly the constructive criticism anybody was looking for. I've got plenty of time to search, but, really wouldn't we all rather be doing something a little more interesting than combing through the massive number of posts under the Tuner II post for the absolute latest info?
BTW, if you can think of a search that will turn up the latest on that particular project, please let us all know. The latest I found wasn't posted by the person actually responsible for the tuners or the start of the thread.

#128297 - 29/11/2002 12:16 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: Sheetzam]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well I agree in principle with what you write. However, if given a choice between taking an hour to comb through the board for the latest info on various projects in order to decide what I've got an interest and time to deal with, or spending 15 minutes or so on that process, and the other 45 actually trying something out, which would you rather do?

A gentleman on this BBS goes by the name "tanstaafl" which is an acronym for "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch." This principle applies here. To save you 45 minutes of time takes someone else a significant amount of time in maintaining whatever resources would save you that time. Who's going to do it? I enjoy writing programs, not posting daily status reports.

RioCar.org is a *perfect* place for the kind of information you speak of, and when we have a release that is newsworthy, it will make it there. I can't speak for the rest of the hackers around here, but I'm not holding myself responsible for broadcasting to the world that there's a new untested version of my software, and then having to answer questions about why there are so many bugs.

So I agree with your principle that for the end user it's much more convenient to go one place for new things instead of combing the board, but who's going to do all the work of maintaining it?

#128298 - 01/12/2002 18:28 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: tonyc]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
A gentleman on this BBS goes by the name "tanstaafl" which is an acronym for "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch."

I didn't realise that was what his name meant - doh! Next time I see Doug I'm going to buy him lunch with no strings attached

Bwahaha!

Rob

#128299 - 01/12/2002 20:42 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: rob]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Surely you're kidding? That's been his .sig for as long as I've been a member here!

#128300 - 01/12/2002 21:24 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: tonyc]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
So I agree with your principle that for the end user it's much more convenient to go one place for new things instead of combing the board, but who's going to do all the work of maintaining it?

Agreed. Case in point. I usually just scan the subject lines in each forum... a few weeks ago I believe something about the GPS project dribbled into the general forum. I remembered seeing Dbrashear at the Cinci meet talking about it so I decided to hop into the Programming forum to get caught up on what was going on. It didn't take me very long to find the most current info on the project, and to find out what ingredients I would need to involve myself in the project.

But, not every example is going to be like this, and I can see the utility in having some sort of update area or project announcement area. I think the projects nearest completion (that don't already have their own site) most warrant a news link or something... such as the Tuner project. The Tuner threads are long tomes by now... and sifting for info in those threads could be quite daunting if you don't know what or who you're looking for.

Plus, if you're interested in some project you saw in a post and you've spent more than 15 minutes looking for current info on the topic... it never hurts to ask. There are enough people around here kind and willing to provide updated details - or at least point/link you to what you need.

#128301 - 02/12/2002 07:00 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: lectric]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
When I first got on the board I thought he was of Scandinavian descent....

#128302 - 03/12/2002 03:56 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: lectric]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I trained my brain to automatically discard sigs.

Rob

#128303 - 03/12/2002 07:38 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: rob]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't feel bad. I also didn't realize that's what his name meant, and I'm the smartest person in the world. And I think i'm like in the top 15 in the universe.

#128304 - 03/12/2002 09:27 Re: Suggestion for community [Re: revlmwest]
butter
enthusiast

Loc: State side
nice pic.

"PC Load Letter! What the [censored] does that mean?"
[blue]fitter, happier, more productive[/blue]