Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#12931 - 05/08/2000 06:50 searching questions
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
ok, since i am sitting here this saturday with no empeg to install, i figure i may as well make use of it by figuring out how to use this thing so that when it comes next week, i can be ready for it.

what are the different parameters that i can search on? artist, song title, album, year, etc? any others?

regarding artist and album name, what does the empeg do when i enter that search string in? does it dynamically build a playlist with every song having the artist name in the tag that i searched for?

anything else about the player that i should know. hoping to get it early next week.

thanks,

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#12932 - 05/08/2000 08:51 Re: searching questions [Re: jstrain]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You could download the user guide from our web site if you want to learn a bit about the player.

Rob

#12933 - 05/08/2000 09:06 Re: searching questions [Re: rob]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
forgive me if this is wrong, but is this how it works?

if i search for "misfits", the results returned are artist names, and then i simply select the artist i want, and the empeg will either create a playlist with every song by that artist, or it will append all those songs?

i guess i was under the impression that when i search by artist, the empeg returned songs by that artist. i assume that i am incorrect about that, and that instead the empeg returns only the "artist", not a list of songs by that artist. if that is correct, that makes alot more sense then how i had envisioned it.

i assume that searching by album also returns only an album name, rather than all songs having that name in the album tag?

any news on the non "12 gig blue" mark 2s shipping yet?

thanks,
jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#12934 - 05/08/2000 09:18 Re: searching questions [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
what are the different parameters that i can search on? artist, song title, album, year, etc? any others?

You can search on those four, and Genre as well. That's all.

Regarding artist and album name, what does the empeg do when i enter that search string in? does it dynamically build a playlist with every song having the artist name in the tag that i searched for?

Good guess. That's exactly what it does. I creates a little playlist in memory. The contents of the playlist is whatever you picked in the search. If it was a search for a song title, that playlist is one song long. If it was a search for an artist, the playlist contains all songs by that artist. If it was an album search, the playlist is all songs with that album name... etc.

This little playlist isn't something you can select from the "playlists" menu, it's only temporary- it's just what starts playing when you complete the search.

There's also a feature that lets you append a search to whatever's playing right now. For example, you could start with a search on "Nine Inch Nails", then append a search for "Yanni". The Yanni songs would get tacked on after the NIN songs in this temporary playlist. You could shuffle that, and fry your brain by trying to shift moods back and forth.

#12935 - 05/08/2000 14:46 Re: searching questions [Re: tfabris]
corby
journeyman

There's also a feature that lets you append a search to whatever's playing right now. For example, you could start with a search on "Nine Inch Nails", then append a search for "Yanni". The Yanni songs would get tacked on after the NIN songs in this temporary playlist. You could shuffle that, and fry your brain by trying to shift moods back and forth.

That was sick, Tony. Don't make me put you on probation.

Corby
SN#320, 6-Gig Blue

#12936 - 05/08/2000 16:33 Re: searching questions [Re: jstrain]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If you search by artist, you see the artist names - when you make your selection (by scrolling through them or, more usefully, refining the list with the letters on the keypad) all songs on the player by that artist are selected (or appended to the current playlist, it's your choice).

In other words, if you want to play tracks by Sash, you do an artist search for "Sash". If you want to play dance tracks, you do a genre search for "Dance" - and so forth.

There are also shortcuts to tweak the play order, for example if a Rush song comes on and Tony F is in the car, you can hit a button on the remote to listen to other songs by that artist.

This is in addition to your own structured playlists that you can set up using the PC software and then navigate on the player in the form of nested menus.

Rob

#12937 - 08/08/2000 11:27 Re: searching questions [Re: rob]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Would it be possible to refine the "search by artist" even more, in order to find a specific song by that artist, or just to peruse the list of songs by that particular artist?
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#12938 - 08/08/2000 13:04 Re: searching questions [Re: Dearing]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Would it be possible to refine the "search by artist" even more, in order to find a specific song by that artist, or just to peruse the list of songs by that particular artist?

I cover that by simply having a playlist for each artist, with sub-playlists for each album. At that point, the browsing is just through the playlist tree.

#12939 - 08/08/2000 15:56 Re: searching questions [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I cover that by simply having a playlist for each artist, with sub-playlists for each album. At that point, the browsing is just through the playlist tree.

It is important to note that searching is the second of two methods of finding songs. The first would be the Playlists.

I have a set of playlist in 'root' under such headings as dance, club, rock, etc. and a playlist of albums where each artist or soundtrack is listed. I have moved away from having each album being in a separate playlist as usually it's good to mix it up. Anyway, you can search by source for that.

I have also started copying songs from compliations into their respective artist listing.

if all your tags are right initially and once the playlists have been organised, finding a track is very easy. I only _wish_ there was an append function for playlists.

Murray 06000047

#12940 - 08/08/2000 16:01 Re: searching questions [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I only _wish_ there was an append function for playlists.

Yeah, it could be the same keystroke as in the search screen, and that keystroke would be available if you were in the playlists menu. I also would love to see an "insert" command as well as an append command. We already went over this on the Wish List, though, didn't we?

#12941 - 09/08/2000 12:07 Re: searching questions [Re: tfabris]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Yes, this is why I was asking. I have my albums arranged by Artist name/Album name, but I also have a "Various" playlist with singles (yes, some are from Napster), in which I might have a song or two that didn't make it into that group's playlist.
Also, sometimes I can't remember which album a song is on, and searching through 5 albums of Moxy Fruvous for "The Kid's Song:Live" takes a while. I'd like to search through an alphabetically sorted, flat list of all the songs by a particular artist. Not often, but sometimes...

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."