Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#129464 - 06/12/2002 17:56 Dimmer stopped working - please help :-(
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I've been meaning to post something about this for some months now but I wanted to check out the FAQ on riocar.org first. The dimmer on my MkII used to work fine but I noticed some months ago that the dimmer has stopped dimming. No matter what the %age is set to the display stays at 100% brightness. Could this be a faulty capacitor? Are there any test points that I should check the voltages at? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this is in the FAQ somewhere but I couldn't find it.

TIA

#129465 - 06/12/2002 18:16 Re: Dimmer stopped working - please help :-( [Re: beaker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That might be the capacitor thing in the FAQ, yes, or it might be something else. The only way to be sure is to contact suport.

#129466 - 06/12/2002 18:49 Re: Dimmer stopped working - please help :-( [Re: beaker]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I have to ask just to make certain. Are you doing any kind of force AC or other hijack setting that might make your player think it is on AC power? You have the dimmer control settings available, correct?

One place to check would be the illumination line going to the player / sled harness. Verify that it is changing appropriately when the lights are on. Perhaps you have a loose connection (or no connection) on that wire.

Is there someone nearby with a player installation that you can test your player in, to eliminate the car installation or the player as the source of the problem?

#129467 - 07/12/2002 08:20 Re: Dimmer stopped working - please help :-( [Re: pgrzelak]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
The player definitely knows it's in the car. I can vary the dimmer setting up and down and the value changes accordingly, but the actual brightness of the display doesn't change at all. I know the car install is ok 'cos my spare Rio works fine. I can also force DC mode with Hijack and I get the same symptoms so I'm 100% sure it's got to be a problem with the player itself. I'll contact support as Tony suggests as soon as I get a moment.