Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#129827 - 04/07/2004 02:37 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Quote:
I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have gotten the DC07 Animal.

From reading the DC11 specs it seems to me that the DC11 "brush" is in-fact a combined model that does BOTH Pet hair and regular hard surface floors in one go.
But I may be wrong on that point.

Our DC08 came with two separate brushes, and I must admit I use the Carpet one on everything as its just so much simpler when you only have to carry one brush about (attached to the end of the telescoping "wand").

In any case, if I am wrong, then perhaps the Pet hair brush accessory for the DC07 will fit the DC11, giving you the best of both worlds [small form factor and storage etc of the DC11 with the DC07's pet hair removal power]. The pet hair/carpet brush on my DC08 uses the power of the suction to turn the pet hair collection part of the brush - so I can't see why it wouldn't work on a newer Dyson provided the connectors were compatible.

Can't comment on the Sebo, but ANY vacuum cleaner that needs bags is a problem IMHO - you will always run out of them (bags) at inconvenient moments.
(been there, done that).

In any case I *LIKE* seeing all that dirt and stuff piling up inside my Dysons clear dirt collector - it sure gives you the feeling of achievement that you *MUST* be cleaning the house - look at all the dirt you've collected.

You don't get that feeling with a bag cleaner that just loses its sucking power as the bag clogs up with dirt/dust.

In any case Dyson deserves to have some success - he sure has tried very hard to make a concept workable and I'm sure he's no saint, but he does deserve some credit for putting Engineering back into "Product Design".

I regard the Dyson as the Empeg of Vacuum cleaners.

Can't comment on their washers though.

#129828 - 04/07/2004 02:59 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: number6]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I remember watching an Open University programme on Design and Technology that profiled James Dyson, and spent a long time discussing the vacs. Did you know he also invented the ballbarrow?

BTW, this programme aired in about 1990 when he was still looking for _anyone_ to invest in the idea. IIRC he ended up 'going it alone' and building up the company upon the reputation of the vacuum cleaners.

#129829 - 04/07/2004 03:04 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: number6]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I noticed looking at the Dyson website that there are now two models of the DC11 available, though I saw only one. There is the All Floor and the Full Gear. The Full Gear comes with a Mini Turbine Head so I'm going to call around and see if I can get one of those to attach to mine or see if the Animal Brush will fit it. The USA site doesn't say anything about buying parts and accessories like the British site does.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129830 - 04/07/2004 08:43 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: genixia]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
this programme aired in about 1990

I remember him popping up on various programmes (Tomorrow's World and the like), over what seemed like a 15 years period. The whole time he was banging on about this revolutionary vacuum cleaner. I never expected him to actually get to make it commercially.

The wheelbarrow that he invented was this one.

#129831 - 04/07/2004 10:02 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: andy]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
This is a potted history of Mr Dyson's innovations:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/nav/inpageframe.asp?id=DYSON/HIST/EARLY

Definitely a top man, the man must have balls the size of the wheelbarrow

#129832 - 04/07/2004 10:26 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: andy]
Laura
pooh-bah

Now that is a wheelbarrow. With a wider wheel it would tip over a lot less. I've never seen one like that over on this side of the pond.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129833 - 04/07/2004 12:24 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
Laura
pooh-bah

All I have to say is WOW just after vacuuming one room. The carpet looks brighter like it was steamed cleaned instead of just vacuumed. I'm really impressed with the Dyson

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129834 - 08/07/2004 08:37 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Quote:
All I have to say is WOW just after vacuuming one room. The carpet looks brighter like it was steamed cleaned instead of just vacuumed. I'm really impressed with the Dyson

And how much dirt/cat hair did the holding tanks end up with?

What was the ratio of cat hair to regular dirt - about 60-70% by volume is cat hair?

Bet you got as much gunk out of your carpets in one vacuum with the Dyson - that probably would have been about 2 or more regular "bags" full with the old vacuum right?

It'll keep doing that for about the 3 or so vacuums, then the dirt level should drop.

And as I said before, this product is the empeg of Vacuum cleaners - you really have to use it to "Get it".

Also, don't forget to try it on your furniture - it should do to that what it does to the carpets [unless I guess, if you have leather or vinyl furniture].

One other point - did your animals mind the Dysons noise as much as the old one?

Our animals used to hate the old vacuum so much that even the clank of the metal wand as you got the thing out of the storage cupboard would have them all racing outside until you'd finished.

With the Dyson, they'll stay put in the house and don't mind it until it gets real close to them, and then they'll merely move to another part of the house.

Proving, that cats know good design when they hear it!

#129835 - 08/07/2004 19:00 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: number6]
Laura
pooh-bah

I think it was about 70% cat hair to dirt ratio, but a lot of that dirt per say, was litter. Maybe the amount had a little to do with being able to get under the furniture that has been neglected for many months but the Dyson is awesome to say the least. Some of the cats don't mind the noise as much since it is a lot quieter and maybe the canister isn't so scary since it's not tall as the monster uprights.

I just got off of the phone with Dyson and will be getting the turbo tool and adapter that makes it fit, within 10 days or so. Then I will attack the furniture with glee

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129836 - 09/07/2004 11:13 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
We're babysitting a cat for the next 8 months or so. He's been with us for two weeks now. When he first checked out the DC11 it was parked in my computer room in its "wrapped-up" mode. The cat was already leary of it! It took him about five minutes to comfortably walk around it. Maybe he was just in awe.

Comment on the Sebo: It may have the best brush and/or heads, but if it uses a bag (any bag) then it's going to lose suction after the first few minutes - no ifs or buts about it. So while I don't disagree that it might clean very well at first, its performance is sure to drop. For it to be any more successful than any other bag-type vac, it would have to be able to run with low suction power. Using its head to loosen any crap in the carpet and then allowing the very reduced suction to still pick it all up.

I think the Dyson does require a certain amount of "get it" factor. But so do many other higher-end vacuums. I wouldn't waste a single cent on any Hoover or Eureka product, but I'm sure many people do every year. With consumable sales I'm sure they make huge profits - their vaccums are in fact consumables themselves, being built out of inferior components and materials (they look and feel like they'll break when you first turn them on).

I'm extremely happy with the Dyson. I'd like to see them come out with a central unit for North America as well as a Wet-Dry (bucket) model (Dyson licensed his cyclone technology to Johnson Wax for a few years who built one of these for commercial use).

The Dyson 1997 autobiography was a really good read. He's had to put up with a lot of crap for all his more recent good fortune.

Bruno

#129837 - 09/07/2004 12:46 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Quote:
I'd like to see them come out with a central unit for North America as well as a Wet-Dry (bucket) model

Oh, that would rock!!! I love my Dyson...

#129838 - 09/07/2004 12:56 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: davec]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I want to see one that you wear on your back similar to those industrical vacuums that you see used in office blocks. Nothing to push or pull about. (Aside from the power cord anyway...)

#129839 - 10/07/2004 16:35 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: genixia]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Power cord? Make it gasoline powered. A battery pack might do nicely in addition to a long power cord (their DC06 Robot cannister uses a battery - at least it will if it ever gets beyond home trial).

I believe in addition to the bucket design, Johnson Wax also had a back-pack model. I'd check, but I lent the autobiography to a friend.

Bruno

#129840 - 16/07/2004 14:24 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: number6]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Bumping this topic again to inform any interested parties that the DC11 is 10% off in today's Friday Sale at J&R.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2