Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#134102 - 10/01/2003 02:11 EMPEG STOPPED PLAYING
fosterw
new poster

Loc: Santa Monica, CA
Hi,

I am a new user/poster. I have reviewed FAQs and recent posts. I loaded my MKII with WAVs, everything working OK on the AC power supply. I took to my installer, he loaded his audio check out WAVs using emplode and then tried to check out the install in the car. The EMPEG would play for a few seconds then stop and not restart. Removing/rebooting would only repeat the short play/stop routine. I took the EMPEG out of the car and tried to re-sychronize. I had multiple failures recognizing USB. Finally I got it to sync, but still the same problem in the car.

I took the EMPEG home in hopes of fixing the problem. I tried multiple re-synchronizations, somewhat successful but still the same failure. I deleted the added WAVs and re-synched, still the same problem. I do not think it is a hard drive/cable problem since I can occasionally get the EMPEG to play for a short time.

I am running Version 2.00-beta11 on the EMPEG, SN 90000966.

Suggestions please!

Regards,

Winslow

#134103 - 10/01/2003 04:24 Re: EMPEG STOPPED PLAYING [Re: fosterw]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
First I'd upgrade to beta-13, there are bug fixes between those versions.

Try an fsck (see the FAQ) and see if it helps...

Try tossing a few mp3s on there and see if there's fewer issues with them than with wavs... (more buffer capacity with mp3s than with wavs...)

What OS are you using? XP and USB has known issues (see the FAQ)

/Michael

#134104 - 12/01/2003 00:35 Re: EMPEG STOPPED PLAYING [Re: mtempsch]
fosterw
new poster

Loc: Santa Monica, CA
Michael,

I really appreciate the suggestions. Before I upgrade to B-13 I would like to try and understand what is happening since everything was working before my installer did his upload. Do the bug fixes relate to the problem I am having? I think my installer may have induced some kind of sync problem, or noise on the car power may have glitched the player. From what I have learned of fsck that may be the place to start. I searched for fsck in FAQ and was not able to get much info on where to get or how use it . The EMPEG already has a bunch of MP3's on it (from the previous owner), which exhibit the same problem when I try to play them. I am running Win98 second edition, with no other USB devices connected. I never had a USB connection problem previously.

I am taking it nice and slow since I am not experienced with Linux. I am hoping not to induce more problems than I fix. This is a 39G EMPEG and I believe that the previous owner added a hard drive to a 10G unit. I have not opened up the EMPEG yet to do any hardware inspections. I hope I will not to have to reload the WAVs since that was a time consuming process.

Perhaps you can suggest some more fsck information locations/starting points?

Regards,

Winslow

#134105 - 12/01/2003 02:29 Re: EMPEG STOPPED PLAYING [Re: fosterw]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I can't recall seeing anyone previously mention the kind of symptoms you have described here - anyone else with a better memory?

fsck is already on the player - it is (by default) automatically invoked by the sync process every 30 syncs or so. To use it you need to have the developer edition of the software loaded, so you can get a commend line prompt on the empeg via a terminal emulator program (like Hyperterminal in Windows).

Here's the FAQ on using fsck and here's some links that might help you into the Linux world.

If you want to take a somewhat easier route, you could simply rebuild the drive(s) of your player - this will wipe out any music you've already loaded though, so you'd have to reuppload it after the (re)build is finished. How to use the builder image/software and where to get it is described in the Drive Upgrade Guide. Don't forget to upload a software version after using the builder...

/Michael