Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#135034 - 14/01/2003 06:57 just some thoughts...
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
As I was driving to work this morning, it occured to me that I've been commuting to work under the influence of my empeg for over 2.5 years now. I've been listening to my empeg longer than I have been married. That seems like alot longer than I imagine, but in other ways, it feels like I've always had the empeg. I really can't imagine driving without it. As I drive my wife's car, I find myself looking down at the radio wondering why the song info isn't scrolling across the radio display.

Apart from a few very minor glitches and one big scare the night before a looong trip (Tony came to the rescue at 11pm), the empeg has performed flawlessly. I can still remember (as I'm sure many of the original owners can) anxiously sitting in the que waiting for our number to come up just to be able to order. All of the time spent reading this board. All of the time sorting music and filling out song tags. At the time, it seemed like an eternal hell. Again, at this point, I can't even remember not having it. It really is unbelievable how much one can become attached to a car stereo. This community is a testament to what a great product the empeg guys developed. I can remember the collective frustration at all the early setbacks that were experienced in bringing the MKII to the market. In hindsight, it was all worth it.

I'm not even sure who the empeg guys are anymore. When I logged in this morning, the larger forums have something along the lines of 15,000 unread messages. It has been a while. In light of that, please forgive me if I leave anyone out. I just wanted to say thanks to Hugo, Rob, Roger, Mike, Patrick, and anyone else I am forgetting for all the hard work you guys poured into this little box. Years later, it still brings a smile to my face as I watch my car stereo "boot up". You have really created something great. Wishing you all the best in whatever you guys are involved with now (Sonic Blue still?).

Jeremy
que # 1700 something or other

#135035 - 14/01/2003 07:05 Re: just some thoughts... [Re: jstrain]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
When I logged in this morning, the larger forums have something along the lines of 15,000 unread messages

Ah, those are probably the ones posted by tfabris. But other people post here too, no worries.

#135036 - 14/01/2003 07:07 Re: just some thoughts... [Re: BartDG]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
It is good to see that some things haven't changed. I remember trying to keep up with him years ago. I gave up very quickly.

#135037 - 14/01/2003 12:48 Re: just some thoughts... [Re: jstrain]
Anonymous
Unregistered

wondering why the song info isn't scrolling across

When I drive other cars and listen to the radio, I occasionally find myself reaching down to rewind the song.

On a side note, I wonder if a hundred years from now when our great grandchildren are listening to music on the latest medium, they will wonder where the word rewind came from.

Maybe it will even be pronounced differently or spelled differently then. Please rewine the song. Well that might take a couple hundred years.

#135038 - 14/01/2003 13:02 Re: just some thoughts... [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I find myself reaching for my TiVo remote at movie theaters to try and figure out what that mumbled dialog was.

#135039 - 14/01/2003 13:08 Re: just some thoughts... [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe you should reach for a Miracle Ear instead?

Or a baseball bat to beat the teenagers behind you into submission?

#135040 - 14/01/2003 19:28 Re: just some thoughts... [Re: tonyc]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Amen to the baseball bat.