Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#138588 - 31/01/2003 19:15 2003 Eclipse Spyder install
Chris_D
new poster

Loc: Chicago
After you all worked so hard to help me figure out my 1997 Eclipse issue, I got so overwhelmed I said f**k it and bought a new car. I'm ridiculous that way.

I just bought a 2003 Eclipse Spyder GST and it comes with the 210 watt 7 speaker Infinity system with 6 disc in dash changer amd steering wheel controls. I believe Laura had a post answered and pictured that addressed the same install, but I couldn't find the answer on how to incorporate the empeg. If anyone has the answer, or knows it, I'd appreciate it if you shared. Feel free to e-mail me if you like.

You guys rock.

- Chris_D the biggest pain in the ass on the install forum

#138589 - 31/01/2003 19:25 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: Chris_D]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Mine's in a Dodge Caravan.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#138590 - 05/02/2003 17:54 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: Chris_D]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
Pics of my install in 01 spyder are here. I'm not sure exactly what part of the install is causing you questions, but if you ask I'll try to help.

#138591 - 05/02/2003 18:01 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: revlmwest]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
And speaking of the Rev's installation, note how he trimmed the plastic on his, prior to seeing this trick by Morrisdl which allowed the player to be installed without trimming the plastic too much on his Toyota. The Rev. even commented on it, you'll notice...

Oh, and by the way, Rev... I'll bet you can buy another trim piece like that from the Mits dealer and still try the docking connector move.

#138592 - 05/02/2003 19:41 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: tfabris]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album61&op=modload&name=Photo_Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I've got an Eclipse too. If you line things up right, Dremel a little short, and block-sander the rest, you can get a much better cut in the dash (sorry Rev). I took a little off the left and right, and then the right amount top to bottom. I eventually realized I looked at it in the wrong order (the heater controls wouldn't move) and so I had to cut the upper part of the opening as well, and left, well, see the pics. The sides were cut a little bit too tall because of it.

I had the empeg wedged into the stock brackets where I wanted it, marked it, and then brought it into work and had the case welded in place (just 4 tiny tack welds, I can easily get through with a Dremel some day if I need to).

Just babbling, but as you get in process we'll give some help.

#138593 - 05/02/2003 20:56 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: tracerbullet]
Chris_D
new poster

Loc: Chicago
Yes, the real dilemma is keeping the steering wheel radio controls and having the pod for something other than a clock. I wish I could get it in that open bottom bay below the stereo, but it would be hard to reach there. I'd be happy to keep the factory Infinity tuner and cd changer and somehow switch between that and the empeg, but I don't know if it's possible. If it was, I'd sneak the empeg in SOMEWHERE!!

#138594 - 06/02/2003 11:00 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: Chris_D]
revlmwest
addict

It is possible to switch between the Infinity and the empeg, at least in theory. SInce you have an amp you can use the empeg as the main hu and then set up the infinity as an aux in. All you have to do is buy a couple of cable ends and do a quick soldering job... I can't find where I those links went, but I will.

While writing this I realized that I am stupid. I just realized the whole six disc spacing problem. That's what I get for cutting down on my coffee intake.

#138595 - 06/02/2003 11:03 Re: 2003 Eclipse Spyder install [Re: tracerbullet]
revlmwest
addict

No problem... Although I did win best am install in Cinncy. (I was one of two am installs ) I've planned for some time on redoing it, but alas my money dwindles before my eyes. My occupation doesn't pay quite as well as my techie counterparts.