Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#142312 - 10/02/2003 16:23 Best way to clean the inside of car windows?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Who's got the best method of cleaning the inside of the windows of your car?

I don't mean just wipe off some fingerprints. Anyone can do that with a can of windex and a towel. I mean... I want the windows to be completely invisible, with absolutely no trace of any kind of smear or streak.

I've tried all sorts of different products, for years, and haven't found anything that makes them genuinely streak-free. Everything from expensive automotive glass cleaners to plain old soap and water. I might spend hours killing my arms and shoulders after rubbing the insides of the windows (with either real towels or paper towels, doesn't matter), and think they look clean, only to see streaks when the light hits the window "just right".

The best, I think, would be some kind of squee-gee system. But I can't get the squee-gee into the corners and areas near the base of the windshield and rear window. So we're back to the rubbing with towels again...

Surely in this high-tech world, there's got to be something that really works well and is also easy to do?

#142313 - 10/02/2003 17:05 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tfabris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
It's a subject I have thought about a lot and tried a few products.

Since doing a fair amount of vinyl application on car bodywork and glass I have found that Isopropyl alchohol does a very good job of degreasing, athough the surface needs to be fairly clean to begin with.

Just done a few searches and come up with these slightly relevant articles:

http://www.binswangerglass.com/clean_glass.htm
http://www.signweb.com/vinyl/cont/windowopps2b.htm

Also, this recipie comes up a few times:
1/2 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch [cornflour?], and 1 bucket of warm water.

I used these keyword combinations in Google - ultra clean/streak free windows/glass

Gareth

#142314 - 10/02/2003 18:28 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: g_attrill]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Slightly related note... My ex girlfriend's memory haunts me every day when I look at the inside of my passenger door, where she closed the door onto a sharp box and punctured the vinyl. I would like to fix this. Isn't there some kind of fancy chemical compound that can be used to heal holes in vinyl? I think I remember seeing one on a late-night infomercial, but no luck at the "As Seen On TV" store, and I'd like to find something a little more reputable if possible.

Not to steal the thread away, but it just jumped into my mind.

#142315 - 10/02/2003 18:35 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tonyc]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
You might try asking at a local leather cleaning shop. A friend of mine ripped an expensive leather jacket, and they did an AMAZING job fixing it. Even knowing it's there, I can't find the rip. Vinyl HAS to be easier.

#142316 - 10/02/2003 18:52 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tfabris]
eliceo
enthusiast

I have the exact same problem, ive used damn near any product I come across. Some friends have reccomend using old tshirts but it hasnt worked for me. My windows are clean but always have some haze and streaks left over.

#142317 - 10/02/2003 19:08 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tfabris]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
When cleaning the inside of house windows or mirrors (which is rarely), I do the following:

Wash over with plain water to remove surface dirt - water does a better job than detergents at removing dust and dirt. Buff dry.
Use a dab of washing-up liquid on a damp cloth and smear it all over the window. Buff dry.
Wash with water and buff again.

#142318 - 10/02/2003 19:30 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tonyc]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
There's a product in the UK called "Vinylweld" which does this. In different colours. You need to back the tear with a cloth repair to give it strength.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#142319 - 10/02/2003 19:36 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: David]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I've used this method on motorcycle visors with sucess, but mainly to stop them steaming up rather than good vision.

I am perpetually bugged by dirty car windows, and I usually do it one of two ways:

- a local proprietary screen cleaner foam manufactured by Mer in Frankfurt, which I doubt you'd be able to get. However, I'll let you have a tin if you come over to the owner's meet in July
- bucket of warm water, about 1/2 litre of white vinegar, a piece of towel and a moist chamois. Wash the windows liberally with the mix, then squeegee it off with the chamois. Wring it out each time you wipe off. Takes practice not to smear; doesn't get rid of the arm ache.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#142320 - 10/02/2003 21:20 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: schofiel]
lectric
pooh-bah

BTW, newspaper is a good thing to use when scrubbing glass. It never streaks, and doesn't leave those little fuzzies. People always think I'm nuts when I do this, but I promise, it works.

#142321 - 10/02/2003 21:25 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: lectric]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I've heard that, my cousin used to wash his windsheild with coke and newspapers (he swore the acid in coke removed crap) I still don't buy it... But I know other people that use newspaper they say it works great.

#142322 - 10/02/2003 21:40 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: lopan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Coke is also good for cleaning toilets. Or at least so I've heard. You just dump a can in and let it eat away the stains for a couple of hours. I swear, soft drinks are the only thing keeping a lot of dentists in buisness. I just don't think I could put something that sticky on my windshield.

#142323 - 10/02/2003 23:04 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: lopan]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I suppose the phosphoric acid might have some cleaning effect, and coke has been known to clean various other items. But I'd have a problem with the sugar aspect of it though - I could just see it collecting dust.

The Brits will appreciate the Chip Shop issue.... Just how do they keep the glass of the hot display cabinets clean around all the greasy food and fumes. The 'secret' is basically what has been discussed before - get the gunk off with detergent and water, dry, then wipe down with vinegar and paper. In the old days newspapers were used, but nowadays they just use that plain wrapping paper.

BTW, the combination of ammonia, vinegar and detergent is extremely powerful as a cleaner. It also releases unpleasant fumes that could make you feel rather giddy if used in close quarters. I wouldn't have thought that anyone's car windscreen needed the ammonia, unless of course, one of their passengers has projectile-vomited after a night of beer and curry.

#142324 - 11/02/2003 01:09 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: genixia]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
well, im gunna try this tomorrow. my windshiled has been pretty bad ever since i got amorall on it, havent been able to get it off completly. Crosses fingers.

#142325 - 11/02/2003 02:11 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: justinlarsen]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I just use Fairy Liquid, dry with a t-shirt and then newspaper, and then a buffing with Rain-X anti-fog product. I use exactly the same method for the lights and the outside of the windscreen, except with standard Rain-X.

Sparkling clean!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#142326 - 11/02/2003 02:53 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tonyc]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Isn't there some kind of fancy chemical compound that can be used to heal holes in vinyl?

Ah, unfortunately I do vinyl graphics rather than interiors.
This site has the best selection of products for restoration/repair stuff - you might be able to find something similar locally.

Gareth

#142327 - 11/02/2003 03:43 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tfabris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Give it to a valet service and ask for a reduction when they don't succeed.

#142328 - 11/02/2003 08:45 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tfabris]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
the best way i've found to clean glass is with plain water and two microfiber cloths. take the first, get it wet, and squeeze as much water as you can out of it. leave the second cloth dry. scrub down the window first with the damp cloth, and use the dry cloth to buff perfectly clean. the microfiber will absorb any grease or grime from the windows, without the use of chemicals or solvents.

you can buy these cloths online, or i've also seen them in the automotive section at wal-mart.

you have to be careful in washing these, in order to keep their absorbency. they must be washed alone (no cotton or other non-synthetic fabrics in the same wash load), and don't use fabric softener in the rinse or in the dryer.

i've never had truly clean windows until i started using these cloths. they're very easy to use, and worth every penny.

--dan.

#142329 - 11/02/2003 13:17 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: tfabris]
phi144
enthusiast

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I had a friend who worked at a car detailing center once. I seem to remember that the trick they used was to use windex and then wipe it off with newspaper. Sounds silly, but it works.

#142330 - 11/02/2003 13:22 Re: Best way to clean the inside of car windows? [Re: phi144]
phi144
enthusiast

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I guess I should have read through the posts first. Go with the newspaper method.