Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#144378 - 25/02/2003 19:48 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: Daria]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
You can create the mtab entries with a shell via ethernet

Are you assuming a telnetd is running, or is there an easy way to pass shell commands in the HTTP query to hijack? I'll probably just get telnetd running, because I know I can do that and configure hijack to launch it all without touching serial.

#144379 - 25/02/2003 19:55 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: adavidw]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
You get the gold star for today. I'm opening config.ini and not closing it. This will, of course, be fixed in the next release.

Welcome to the world of perpetually beta software! I'll make it up to you guys with a few new features to play with. And probably a few new bugs!

Edited by yn0t_ (25/02/2003 19:56)

#144380 - 25/02/2003 19:58 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: adavidw]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
You might want to add
/dev/hdc4 /drive1 ext2 defaults,ro 1 1
to /etc/fstab

#144381 - 25/02/2003 19:59 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: adavidw]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I'm assuming a telnetd is running.

#144382 - 25/02/2003 20:25 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

You get the gold star for today I'm opening config.ini and not closing it

You get *my* Gold star for today too for the simplest bug that can disrupt official empeg behaviour

This is one of those bugs that should be remembered by as many people as possible. It's exactly the sort of bug that will be forgotten just as someone else re-implements it in another application...

#144383 - 25/02/2003 20:33 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: genixia]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

This is one of those bugs that should be remembered by as many people as possible. It's exactly the sort of bug that will be forgotten just as someone else re-implements it in another application...

Probably. I focused very heavily on freeing all my mallocs and trying to avoid memory leaks, evidently I didn't focus quite as intently on closing open FD's when they're not needed.

Ah well. Expect another release within a week or so.

#144384 - 25/02/2003 20:58 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
adavidw
addict

While the gold star is nice and all, I guess I still don't get it. Am I the only one seeing this behavior? I know lots of people have posted that they have trouble syncing, but they're running stuff from the music partition, and when they move it, it appears to be okay for them. Other than the curse on me, is there any reason why this would be happening to me and not others?

This illustrates why I'm very well suited for QA work. The curse that I have means something breaks just by me going near it. With software I consistently expose bugs that no one's seen before on the very first time I run it. I'm not as much help in diagnosing the problem, but I'm glad to see that my blind stumbling in the dark will lead to a solution.

Now that I can move past that, here's a couple more things I was wondering about. First, there are command line options for horizontal and vertical mode; how about one for the custom mode?
Another thing: you said the next version would hadle milliseconds, right? Does lrctool already handle milliseconds in the SYLT frame writing, or does that come later, too?
And one more: --newfid seems to only look at the new fid structure. If you have things in the new way, emplode will still write songs in the old way, so you'll soon have a mix of old and new. Is there a way to make --newfid look for the new fids in addition to the old fids?

That's all for me for now, I hope...

#144385 - 25/02/2003 21:11 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I focused very heavily on freeing all my mallocs and trying to avoid memory leaks, evidently I didn't focus quite as intently on closing open FD's when they're not needed.

LOL. I've worked with coders that could learn from that.

#144386 - 25/02/2003 21:36 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: adavidw]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

While the gold star is nice and all, I guess I still don't get it. Am I the only one seeing this behavior? I know lots of people have posted that they have trouble syncing, but they're running stuff from the music partition, and when they move it, it appears to be okay for them. Other than the curse on me, is there any reason why this would be happening to me and not others?

I think they're just being good little soldiers and closing emphatic before they sync.
First, there are command line options for horizontal and vertical mode; how about one for the custom mode?

There is. emphatic -m 3. I forgot to add it to the README but it's there. If you're so suited for QA work, I'm assuming you would have tried that!
Another thing: you said the next version would hadle milliseconds, right? Does lrctool already handle milliseconds in the SYLT frame writing, or does that come later, too?

Yeah, lrctool 1.0 supports it. I forget if the lrc2sylt included with emphatic v1.10 has millisecond support, but lrctool 1.0 definitely does. Untested though...
And one more: --newfid seems to only look at the new fid structure. If you have things in the new way, emplode will still write songs in the old way, so you'll soon have a mix of old and new. Is there a way to make --newfid look for the new fids in addition to the old fids?

Umm... Nobody told me that supporting a mix was required. That's a dicier issue. I was going for quickest access time, so I didn't have it trying both. Again, being a QA guy, you're familiar with what happens when requirements are incomplete, no?

I'll see if I can come up with something next time, but this isn't very high on my list. I kinda thought people would use the one FID structure, then when the new one becomes the default (in the next release, I guess?) they'd switch. Having both seems kinda yucky to me. Thanks for pointing this out though.

#144387 - 26/02/2003 00:08 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
adavidw
addict

There is. emphatic -m 3. I forgot to add it to the README but it's there. If you're so suited for QA work, I'm assuming you would have tried that!

Yeah, well suited for QA work, but also lazy. Don't forget I was fighting with syncing all day. I can only break 1 thing at a time. Good to know it's there, though.

I'll see if I can come up with something next time, but this isn't very high on my list. I kinda thought people would use the one FID structure, then when the new one becomes the default (in the next release, I guess?) they'd switch. Having both seems kinda yucky to me.

Definitely my bad for not specifying that in the requirements. I don't know if there's ever a real world situation where someone will end up with a player like that. Mine's like that, though, and the explanation goes back to the aforementioned laziness. I switched everything to the new layout for kicks and giggles, then when playing around with the lyrics, just moved my test files back because I didn't want to rewrite my script to move everything back. Hijack and the player both look in all 4 places for the fid, so I didn't see any problems until playing with emphatic again.

Now, whether or not you want to do that in emphatic comes down to whether you think any normal people (i.e. not me) would run into this situation. There must be some possible way for this to happen, or else they wouldn't have backported the code to read the new directory structure to the 2.0 player right? I guess someone out there is adding music with a post 2.0 system but then loading 2.0 betas on it.

#144388 - 05/03/2003 14:46 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
fink08
journeyman

I finally finished converting all my songs. DIdn;t take as long as I thought it would. With the help of making batchfiles etc. I am however hacing problems with the lyrics displaying. After one or two songs the lyrics no longer display horizontally and will only appear in the vertical mode. Have any ideas?

#144389 - 05/03/2003 15:20 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: fink08]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Haven't seen this happen, and nobody else has reported it... Does this happen consistently?

#144390 - 05/03/2003 16:26 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
fink08
journeyman

Yes it happens consistently on my empeg

#144391 - 05/03/2003 17:47 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I think that's the same thing that I reported earlier. Maybe it's related to number of tracks played and not to buttons pressed.

#144392 - 05/03/2003 18:27 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: genixia]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Hmm I have 20+ tracks with lyrics in them, and I haven't seen this. Wonder what's different...

#144393 - 05/03/2003 22:15 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
fink08
journeyman

I have those 700 someodd songs and after about 2 or 3 of them have played without fail:), emphatic will fail to display the lyrics. There is still a black blank space at the top of the screen, when the player menu is activated emphatic doesn't hide, but when it is switched to horizontal mode all is well.

#144394 - 06/03/2003 06:09 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: fink08]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Hm I guess you meant to say "when it is switched to vertical mode." I will try to test things out some more... Anyone else seeing this?

#144395 - 06/03/2003 09:10 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: fink08]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Okay, I think I reproduced this one. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

#144396 - 06/03/2003 17:21 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
fink08
journeyman

I've also had this happen 2 times today. After having emphatic display lyrics for an even longer period of time after the horizontal display ceases to work....It hangs the display of the rio all together with the buttons on the rio also not working. The remote still works however. Just wanted to let you know. Actually i think it happened 3 times. Figures I would have all the wierd problems seeing as i have so many lyricized songs:) Thanks _yn0t, your an awesome programmer and give great support.

#144397 - 10/03/2003 00:50 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
rearviewmirror
journeyman

Loc: Bangalore, India
Hi Tony,

I finally got a chance to install emphatic. It's very very cool, especially the custominfo part. Thanks!

I made a custominfo with 3 lines (title, album, artist) and the lyrics scrolling below the artist line. Couldn't figure out how to reproduce that dotted horizontal line which shows time elapsed (the one in Info:Track) though. Is there a way to do it?

I know you've reproduced it, but just wanted to let you know that I'm also hitting the bug that fink08 reported.

Thanks,
~Yogi.

#144398 - 10/03/2003 06:39 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: rearviewmirror]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I made a custominfo with 3 lines (title, album, artist) and the lyrics scrolling below the artist line. Couldn't figure out how to reproduce that dotted horizontal line which shows time elapsed (the one in Info:Track) though. Is there a way to do it?
I would like to reproduce the line and the little blinkie dot that accompanies it, but haven't given it a shot yet. More important right now is the bug that you and fink are seeing, and as of yet, I haven't had time to nail it down. Stay tuned...

#144399 - 25/03/2003 12:04 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
fink08
journeyman

Any new news on the project? Bugfixes, lyrics storage, or otherwise?

#144400 - 25/03/2003 13:13 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: fink08]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Any new news on the project? Bugfixes, lyrics storage, or otherwise?
Yes. The news is that the author is approximately 5 weeks away from completing his Masters degree, and is thus spending all of his available time completing his final project.

Stay tuned, though. Come May I have BIG plans for this. I'll try to squeeze out those bugs in horizontal mode, and I have several cool features planned. I also want to work closely with Mike Schrag (when he has some free time as well) to get LRC embedding into jEmplode, and eventually, submission to LRCdb.com (when that gets off the ground.) Of course, the weather starts getting nicer around that time, but since I won't be in school, I do anticipate having a lot more time to work on this.

#144401 - 25/03/2003 16:07 Re: emphatic v1.10: Custom info modes! [Re: tonyc]
fink08
journeyman

Congrats on your degree! Thanks also for your work in the Empeg commnity.

#144402 - 26/04/2003 21:26 emphatic wish list item... [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

that I'll probably do myself unless someone convinces me it's a bad idea:
a way to link tracks. when we see a track that should lead into another, play it. When we come from a track other than the one before this track, if this is a child-only track, skip it.

This assumes I can figure out a way to usefully encode said information.

#144403 - 27/04/2003 21:48 Re: emphatic wish list item... [Re: Daria]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

that I'll probably do myself unless someone convinces me it's a bad idea:
a way to link tracks. when we see a track that should lead into another, play it. When we come from a track other than the one before this track, if this is a child-only track, skip it.
Ah, the classic Brain Damage - > Eclipse, Heartbreaker -> Living Loving Maid, We Will Rock You -> We Are the Champions problem. Actually, it could even be extended to more than 2 songs. Could even address the lack of a "Never Randomize Contents" flag, if implemented properly... You could just chain a bunch of songs together.

Hmm.

[Bar Napkin Design]
1. I guess lrctool could be modified to support the creation of two ID3v2 TXXX (user defined text) frames, like NextFID and PrevFID.
2. emphatic then loads up the ID3v2 frames when the song first comes up, so it could read in these frames to figure out if there are any links to other songs.
3. If there's a "NextFID" defined, then it does an "Insert" of that FID. Easy enough.
4. If there's a "PrevFID" defined, then check if the last song played was that FID. If not, then we came in in the middle, and should skip this track entirely.
[/Bar Napkin Design]

I think the above gets us started. Now, to do an "insert" we need to use the /proc/empeg_notify method of sending an insert command. Back in the day, you could do something like
echo "SERIAL #100" > /proc/empeg_notify
and it would play that FID. That no longer seems to work, and I can't figure out what the new syntax is. Anyone know if this still works or not, and if so, what the syntax is?

The other problem is that in step 4 above, if we find out we "came from" the wrong track, there's going to be a blip of some sort when we skip it. To avoid this, we would have to have the tags for song N+1 read while song N is playing. Then if song N+1 has a "PrevFID" entry and song N isn't that FID, I guess we could send a "Swap Next" command to get it out of there. In order to read song N+1's tags, we need to read the running order off the dynamic partition, which uses code I've written, but not yet integrated into emphatic.

So... In short, with some work and creativity, it seems doable... If you wanna give it a start, I won't stop you!

#144404 - 27/04/2003 21:56 Re: emphatic wish list item... [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Ah, the classic Brain Damage - > Eclipse, Heartbreaker -> Living Loving Maid, We Will Rock You -> We Are the Champions problem.

Damn Golden Slumbers medley got me today. Again

echo "SERIAL #100" > /proc/empeg_notify
and it would play that FID. That no longer seems to work, and I can't figure out what the new syntax is.

I don't remember, but my unfinished cron project was going to insert liners at the top and bottom of the hour, and I know I referenced how it works in some thread here.

we need to read the running order off the dynamic partition, which uses code I've written

So I should be talking to you, since somewhere I have code to do the same (though not for this item).

#144405 - 27/04/2003 22:11 Re: emphatic wish list item... [Re: Daria]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I don't remember, but my unfinished cron project was going to insert liners at the top and bottom of the hour, and I know I referenced how it works in some thread here.
If you can locate the thread, that'd be grand.
So I should be talking to you, since somewhere I have code to do the same (though not for this item).
Yeah. Here's what I came up with:

int getFidFromRunningOrderIndex(int iIndex)
{
int iPlaylistLength=0;
int iRunningOrderLength=0;
unsigned long ulOffset; // location of playlist length
unsigned long ulFidTableIndex = 0;
unsigned int uiFid = 0;

if ((fpDynData = fopen("/dev/hda3", "ro")) != NULL)
{
ulOffset = 0x10;
fseek(fpDynData, ulOffset, SEEK_SET);
fread(&iPlaylistLength, sizeof(int), 1, fpDynData);
//printf("playlist length: %ld\n", iPlaylistLength);

ulOffset = 0x18;
fread(&iRunningOrderLength, sizeof(int), 1, fpDynData);
//printf("running order length: %ld\n", iRunningOrderLength);

// 0x200 is the second sector, which contains playlist entries
// But we need to skip past these for now to get the running order
// indexes, which are after the 8-byte playlist entries
ulOffset = 0x200 + 8*iPlaylistLength + iIndex * 4;
fread(&ulFidTableIndex, sizeof(unsigned long), 1, fpDynData);
//printf("fid table index: %ld\n", ulFidTableIndex);

// now we know the index into the fid table (which starts at 0x200
ulOffset = 0x200 + 8*ulFidTableIndex;
fread(&uiFid, sizeof(unsigned int), 1, fpDynData);
printf("fid: %x\n", uiFid);

fclose(fpDynData);

return 1;
}
else
{
return -1;
}
}

To actually use it, you need the running order index, which is available from the 128-byte flash save area. This is incidentally why I asked Mark to fix Hijack to allow multiple readers on the flash save area. So if you're on the 0th track in your running order, you pass in 0 to this function and it gives you back the current FID. That's not very interesting, since that's available in /proc/empeg_notify. But if we're on the 47th track in the running order, we can pass in 48 to figure out what the next tune is. I originally wrote this for Now & Next, and figured that some point, I'd read and cache the ID3 information from 2 or 3 of the next tracks to improve speed in changing tracks, etc. This would be a good side benefit of such an animal.

#144406 - 27/04/2003 23:18 Re: emphatic wish list item... [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I was working on a library which was intended to be extensible, but whose functions would initially be reading tuner and eq settings, and then would be extended to writing them.

I'm on my third iteration of the code, and I still don't have a useful API.

#144407 - 27/04/2003 23:22 Re: emphatic wish list item... [Re: tonyc]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I guess it was SERIAL=#.

Did you remember the number is in hex, though?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >