Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#146720 - 04/03/2003 07:53 Palantir alpha
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
There are three parts to Palantir right now. Please read all three steps before attempting to install, because currently there is a LOT of work to do to get everything installed. This is an alpha, you'll have to work for it! An overview is:

Creating a pdb file (requires knowledge of java and javac)
1. Export your data from Emplode/Jemplode to .csv
2. Reformat the data in the .csv file
3. Edit a .java file to point to your new .csv file and recompile the class
4. Run the staging.PDBExporter java program to create the .pdb file
5. Load the .pdb file onto your palmpilot

Getting the Palm app on your palmpilot
1. Easy, just install the included palantir.prc file.

Setting up Empire on the Empeg (hard, involves recompiling your kernel)
1. Recompile kernel to include IrDA support (maybe we could get Mark Lord to include this by default in Hijack)
2. Install irattach, and run it on the Empeg - irattach /dev/ttyS2
3. Install the empire binary and run it from the shell with a & to put it in the background
4. Restart the player and you are ready to rock.

If you've made it this far, congrats.

#146721 - 04/03/2003 07:57 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: cushman]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
For those us that are deficient in these areas...will there be a simplified way to install or are all the steps here as simple as it gets?

#146722 - 04/03/2003 08:07 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

Part one - PDB file

1. Export your data from Emplode/Jemplode to .csv

In Jemplode (I have not used Emplode to do this) export your player database to .csv.

2. Reformat the data in the .csv file

The data has to be "massaged" in order to work correctly on the Palm. We only need a few columns, not everything that is in the .csv file. The specific columns you MUST include and NO OTHER and IN THIS ORDER are:

Artist, Year, Source, Track Number, Title, Genre, Bitrate, Duration (in milliseconds, FID

I can't stress enough how the format of the data will affect the .pdb file. I have included a test.csv file that is in the correct format. If you have any string that includes a comma in it, it will be skipped (alpha version). No header rows are to be included. They also must be sorted in that exact order, also. If they are not sorted correctly (Each album should appear in order by artist, etc), the application WILL NOT WORK. Take a look at the test.csv file included to see the sort order.

3. Edit a .java file to point to your new .csv file and recompile the class

Now that you have your massaged .csv file, edit PDBExporter.java and at the very bottom change the import and export file paths. This is in the static void main method.

4. Recompile and Run the staging.PDBExporter java program to create the .pdb file

You'll have to do a javac staging/PDBExporter.java to recompile
Then run it with java staging.PDBExporter

Your .pdb file should magically appear.

5. Load the .pdb file onto your palmpilot

This entire step will soon be integrated into Jemplode (probably with Mike Schrag's help), but just to get it released early, I'm giving you the manual method.

Attachments
144742-cvs2pdb.zip (128 downloads)

#146723 - 04/03/2003 08:14 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

Part Two: Getting the Palm app on your palmpilot

1. Easy, just install the included palantir.prc file.

Source is included (will be GPL'd)

I believe that you must have Palm OS version 3.3 or greater to run, but I am not sure. I will look at this some more, but I have successfully run it on a PalmVx, so anything higher should work, too.

Attachments
144743-palantir.zip (156 downloads)

#146724 - 04/03/2003 08:14 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: revlmwest]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
Nevermind... I see what your doing now.... I think I can follow the expanded directions...

#146725 - 04/03/2003 08:19 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

Part three Setting up Empire on the Empeg (hard, involves recompiling your kernel)

1. Recompile kernel to include IrDA support (maybe we could get Mark Lord to include this by default in Hijack)

I used Shonky's great instructions to recompile the kernel. If you download the kernel from Mark's hijack site, it is already configured for IrDA, so no editing, just compile and go. You should be able to debug irda support on the empeg from other posts by me and TheAmigo in the Programming and Projects forums.

2. Install irattach, and run it on the Empeg - irattach /dev/ttyS2

I included an irattach binary in the .zip file. This is from the irda-utils package.

2.5 (grrr, left out a step) Install OpenOBEX libraries

I will attach the library files below, so get that file and upload all the lib* to your /lib directory on the empeg. You will have to create a few symbolic links, make the files in there look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex-1.0.so.0 -> libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28796 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40328 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 744 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Feb 7 00:45 libopenobex.so -> libopenobex-1.0.so.0.0.0

3. Install the empire binary and run it from the shell with a & to put it in the background

I included a binary as well as the source. It's not much.

4. Restart the player and you are ready to rock.

Attachments
144745-empire.zip (120 downloads)

Edited by cushman (04/03/2003 08:40)

#146726 - 04/03/2003 08:22 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: revlmwest]
cushman
veteran

Yeah, I had to attach the software, too

Hopefully there will be some integration with existing applications later. I will work with Mike Schrag to get the .csv to .pdb code included in Jemplode, so you just have to do a Tools->Create .pdb file and it spits it out for you. Then, if we could get IrDA included by default in Hijack, that would be another step (everyone can install Hijack, right?). That would leave only the irattach and empire binaries to FTP up the player, and the .prc and .pdb files to be Hotsynched to the Palm.

Until we get a universal application installer, that's as easy as it's going to get.

I would have polished it a bit more, but release early, release often is better than polish for years before releasing

#146727 - 04/03/2003 08:42 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

Here is an updated file with all the stuff you will need to install Empire on the Empeg. See the above post for installation instructions.

Attachments
144747-empire.zip (127 downloads)

#146728 - 04/03/2003 09:56 Re: Palantir alpha [Re: cushman]
cushman
veteran

This new(er) version will daemonize (thanks to tman) so you can run it using EXEC_ONCE in hijack. Use this version rather than the old version. I will write up a quick webpage to keep all the software on.

Attachments
144770-empire.zip (127 downloads)