Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#148824 - 15/03/2003 17:09 Offline updates?
paulj
stranger

Loc: Austin, TX
Is there any way to store an empeg profile someway such that I could reorganize it, add mp3s and such, but only have to pull the player out of the car at the end to do the final sync? Maybe have the local JEmplode store diffs to the profile until I do a sync? My time to play with my music collection is pretty fragmented right now, so I'd like way to work on my playlists without having to have my player actually plugged in...

--pj

#148825 - 15/03/2003 20:00 Re: Offline updates? [Re: paulj]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
At the current time, the Emplode software is a "dumb terminal", working only with the database that is on the player. It does not store any offline data. This has the advantage of letting you manage your music collection from more than one computer (such as your home computer, your work computer, your friend's computer, a borrowed computer while you're traveling out of town, etc.) without needing to worry about an updated database being on that particular PC.

This also means that there's no "offline" database editing possible at this time. In theory, something like that could be incorporated into Jemplode, but I don't know if it's been done yet. I'm pretty sure it's not in there yet.

In the meantime, take a look at this and see if it offers any help for what you want to do.

#148826 - 15/03/2003 22:06 Re: Offline updates? [Re: paulj]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Feasibly, you could attach your player once, let emplode get the database, then unplug it and deal with your playlists in emplode as long as you don't exit the program. emplode doesn't touch the empeg except for downloading its info and synchronizing.

Then again, I could be wrong. There's a serial number of sorts that prevents intersecting syncs that could make that not work. It's possible that there are other things, too. But you could give it a shot.

#148827 - 15/03/2003 23:10 Re: Offline updates? [Re: tfabris]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
jEmplode doesn't really officially provide any offline support, but the same codebase as jEmplode is used in another project that essentially is this (basically it "syncs" to a file).... It probably wouldn't be too much effort to let you download your database, then save it to a file, bring it back to life later and then sync it to an Empeg, I guess ... I'd have to play around with the code some to actually get it to do that. Unfortunately this one's not a particularly high priority, so I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

#148828 - 17/03/2003 09:09 Re: Offline updates? [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Feasibly, you could attach your player once, let emplode get the database...

Correct. You can do this. The sequence number is used to make sure that you don't change the database while emplode's not watching (by using another PC, for example).