Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#151475 - 29/03/2003 22:47 2002 Maxima install... Finally!
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I've finally installed my Mk2a in my '02 Maxima. (actually, I finished a couple weeks ago).

It was a difficult process because I didn't want to remove my existing double-din radio/tape/6-disc changer nor did I want to modify the dash in any irreversible way.

The all-digital climate controls are just about the same size as the empeg so I decided to move them. Where to? Well, after taking the faceplate off, they just fit inside the armrest.

The hardest part was building an extension cable for the climate controls. Since I didn't want to make any permanent mods to the car, I couldn't just cut and splice the existing wiring harness. Instead, I needed to build both forward and reverse wiring harnesses for it. I called my local Nissan parts depot and they said that I could order the forward wiring harness for ~$1400! (it's a kit that includes all the wires in the dash) and that they didn't have a reverse one. After much trial and error, I arrived at a workable solution using: 40<->44pin IDE adapters, 16pin DIP sockets, CAT 5 cable, superglue, zip ties, a floppy drive cable and a Dremel tool... of course assembled while watching MacGyver!

It's been about 4 or 5 weeks now and it's working great! With the stock HU running to the aux-in of the empeg, I can listen to AM, FM, Tape, CD or MP3.

Question: How do I request an album so I can upload pictures to riocar.org?

#151476 - 30/03/2003 12:06 Re: 2002 Maxima install... Finally! [Re: TheAmigo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Question: How do I request an album so I can upload pictures to riocar.org?
There's a link at the top of each gallery page "Request your own photo gallery".

Your project sounds really great, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it.