Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15334 - 24/08/2000 14:04 Screensaver
hamzy
journeyman

Loc: TX, USA
It would be nice to have a screen saver for those times where you press pause and forget about it.
Would the display leave images (or how ever you call it)?

Also, can there be a password feature on powerup?

Thanks,
Mark

#15335 - 24/08/2000 14:22 Re: Screensaver [Re: hamzy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Would the display leave images (or how ever you call it)?

You're referring to the VFD equivalent of phosphor burn, and yes, this can happen to the Empeg's display.

After they invented the "now and next" display, I fell in love with it and left it up on that screen for several weeks. Now I have some phosphor burn in the lower right corner of the screen where the time is displayed. When I switch to a visual that uses large areas of solid color (such as "Caledonian"), I can see the burn pattern. It's not really bad, but it is visible if you look closely at it.

To prevent it, simply run a full screen visual which keeps moving even when paused. Many of the visuals do this. The visuals are essentially screen savers. (Although the ones with a fixed line, such as the spectrometers, would cause burn if they stayed up long enough.)

One of the things on my personal wish list is to have the static text screens shift regularly (for instance, moving the time display around on the now/next screen) to reduce the problem.

Also, can there be a password feature on powerup?

This one's been hashed through quite extensively before. Here was my take on the password question:

If you wanted to write your own password prompt into the kernel, go for it. But that could be circumvented simply by re-installing the software.

If you want Empeg to include a truly secure password protection feature, then you're asking them to also man the telephones for every single "I forgot my password, now what do I do" call. They would literally have to add support staff just because the feature existed. I don't think such a feature is critical enough for that, do you?

And in the end, password-protecting the Empeg isn't going to stop the unit from being stolen, it would just irritate the hell out of the thief after-the-fact.

#15336 - 24/08/2000 18:21 Re: Screensaver [Re: tfabris]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I was thinking of two possible solutions to this problem.

If the unit is left in a text mode or a visualization that could cause "burn"...after a certain amount of time with no user activity.

1) Dim the screen
2) Start a visualization that won't cause "burn"

Alex Lear

#15337 - 27/08/2000 14:56 Re: Screensaver [Re: alear]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
If the unit is left in a text mode or a visualization that could cause "burn"...after a certain amount of time with no user activity.
1) Dim the screen
2) Start a visualization that won't cause "burn"

I like the screen dim option. Maybe as part of the visualisation code spec there is a function for "pause behaviour". The visuals that already do this seem to be the newer ones. Might be time to update all the other visuals.

Murray 06000047

#15338 - 07/11/2000 01:32 Re: Screensaver [Re: tfabris]
Fogduck

Loc: BC
Awwwwwwwwww CRAP!

I tend to leave it on "Track" display mode...where there are a couple areas of persistent display (the separator line, and the [111/999] indicator.

I've been running it in this mode 90% of the time I've had it.

Argargarg.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
MK2 #141, green, 12GB
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case