Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#154932 - 12/04/2003 21:42 Emplode .MSI setup
seang
new poster

I just got around to downloading the release version of Emplode 2.0. What happened to the .MSI file? I used to be able to use a group policy to distribute Emplode to a bunch of machines. Any chance of getting this back?

#154933 - 13/04/2003 03:17 Re: Emplode .MSI setup [Re: seang]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's still in there. Here's how to get it:

1. Unzip the 2.0 installer as you normally would to get to the setup.exe file.

2. Close all running applications, including most of the crap that runs in most people's system tray. (This is to make step 3 cleaner and easier)

3. Navigate to the temp directory in Windows Explorer (different on various OS's... if you wanna know exactly where it is, type SET at a command prompt and look for the TEMP environment variable).

4. Delete everything in the temp directory that it'll let you delete.

5. Now run SETUP.EXE but don't close it or answer any questions. Just leave it up on the screen.

6. A new folder should now exist under temp, and since you just cleaned it out, it'll be easy to see which one it is.

7. The enlightenment, er, MSI file you seek is in that folder, Grasshopper.

#154934 - 04/06/2007 17:34 Re: Emplode .MSI setup [Re: tfabris]
Noel
new poster

hi tony!! many thanks for the explanation on where to find the MSI file. however, i stumbled upon another problem: i installed the v2 setup and it works fine, except that it shows the i have an "unknown player on USB" connected (image attached). i am using a mark 1 empeg car (s/n: 00022) and windows xp sp2. the empeg works fine, music, radio and so on, but i need to upgrade the firmware, which i don't know what version is installed, and i need to reprogram the radio stations too. i got this unit from my brother in law who lives in the US. any help you could provide would be highly appreciated. thanks in advance!!

Attachments
299946-empegv2.jpg (77 downloads)

#154935 - 04/06/2007 17:42 Re: Emplode .MSI setup [Re: Noel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
thanks for the explanation on where to find the MSI file.

For clarification: You shouldn't *need* to do those steps to extract the MSI file like that. He was using the MSI file for a specific reason that most people don't need it for. For a newly acquired player like the one you're talking about, just install the 2.0 emplode and firmware normally.

Quote:
i have an "unknown player on USB" connected (image attached).

That's an easy fix. That's simply this problem.

Quote:
but i need to upgrade the firmware

Yes, please click here for full step by step instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on the player.