Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#155048 - 14/04/2003 06:29 Am I imagining this?
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Did the v2.0 release change the length of the time one must hold down the front buttons to rewind,fast-forward, toggle between info modes, etc? I seem to remember the timeout being quite a bit shorter in 2.0b13. Or maybe I've just become more impatient?

#155049 - 14/04/2003 08:48 Re: Am I imagining this? [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Probably just impatient, and Hijack adds to those times..

Cheers

#155050 - 14/04/2003 10:37 Re: Am I imagining this? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did the v2.0 release change the length of the time one must hold down the front buttons to rewind,fast-forward, toggle between info modes, etc?
No, not in the default software.

However, if you've recently added some IR_Translate codes for long presses (as I did when Mark added the .V feature), then the times will double for any action where you have a longpress as input and another longpress as output. I believe we discussed this in the thread that went with the .V feature.

I have some ideas about how to work around this, but there are some questions to go with it:

1. What is the amount of "sensing time" required for a button to be held down before it gets considered a long press by the default software?

2. Is that amount of time the same for Hijack?

3. Is there any reason that, if using IR_Translate, Hijack couldn't shave that time a bit? Hijack's sensing time, that is, not the playback time for the player software.

4. Are there any serial or stalk commands that would execute the info-screen toggle or the drop-to-standby command, without needing a long press to be sent to the player software? If so, can hijack send any of these commands as part of an IR_Translate string, or can it only send IR and button commands?

Last night I had an idea about how to have the long press and the short press work in a desynchronized manner within Hijack, such that an IR_Translate string using .Ls at both ends might not need to be double the time, and in fact might be indistinguishable from the original longpress timing, if done correctly. I fear that it would require a base architectural change to the way Hijack handles longpresses in IR_Translate, so I'm loath to suggest it unless Mark has an itch to really work on it. I think it's require some picture-drawing and stuff to explain myself properly, so maybe I'll draw something up and put it in the programming forum...

#155051 - 14/04/2003 10:45 Re: Am I imagining this? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Are there any serial or stalk commands that would execute the info-screen toggle or the drop-to-standby command, without needing a long press to be sent to the player software?
Hmm, just realized that in the car, the player software is being run in non-serial mode so that I can talk to the GPS unit. So this wouldn't work. Or would it?

#155052 - 14/04/2003 14:24 Re: Am I imagining this? [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm. I don't know the answers to those questions, but I'd love it if such a workaround was found. Or maybe a configurable long-press delay for Hijack?

#155053 - 14/04/2003 14:52 Re: Am I imagining this? [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One workaround that I just tried to implement was to replace my "Top.L=Top.L" with "Top.L=KOff" (now works since Mark re-implemented fake_tuner, thanks Mark!), but it doesn't seem to be any faster. Hm, wonder why? On the stalk, does KOff either require or simulate a long press of some kind?