Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15566 - 26/08/2000 08:26 bug or not
fox
stranger

hi empeg'ers

i installed today my mark2 and i'm happy, but:

the empeg has a connection to the ignition, but if i shut down the ignition the empeg does not power down and i cannot find a setting or so, is this ignition connectio for nothing or am i making something wrong ?

also theres a connection to the light but also if i switch on switch off the light nothing happens, i can also not find any settings. i hoped that i can set the ilumination for lights on and off.

and yes i had the empeg in the car cradle.

cheers

andreas

#15567 - 26/08/2000 08:44 Re: bug or not [Re: fox]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
if i shut down the ignition the empeg does not power down

Well Andreas, I guess there's something wrong with your install.

The principle is that the Mk2 gets its power from continuous 12V. The lead to the ignition line is just there so the unit can feel that the car is being used and switch itself on (sleep mode). Similarly, when you kill ignition, the player knows this too. It then a) switches off the amp and (after a few seconds) goes to sleep again. Unless you hit any button within that period, it goes into deep sleep after a minute.

If the player doesn't switch off when you kill ignition, it must feel power on its ignition feeler line. I recommend you get your voltage meter out and check the way you've wired things up. Did you use an ISO connector (kit) for your car??

also if i switch on switch off the light nothing happens
Same with the lights: the mk2 senses if there is a change in voltage on the head lights-on wire, and acts accordingly. If you're sure you have the thing properly connected, change the percentage dimming to anything less than 100% and try switching lights on/off. If they dim when the lights are off, you need to change the configuration via emplode.

Anyhow, these are definitely not bugs. Check 'Installation Notes' for more info. These issues have been discussed there before.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#15568 - 26/08/2000 18:09 Re: bug or not [Re: fox]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This *sounds* like you have 12v permanent (yellow wire) wired to your accessory line and 12v switched (orange wire) connected to your permanent feed.

Nothing will happen when you turn the lights on unless you set a different dimmer level. Turn the lights on and then go to the dimmer menu, set a lower dimmer level. Now turn the lights off - the display should go back to 100% (or whatever you had it set to last time the lights were off).

Hugo

#15569 - 26/08/2000 20:31 Re: bug or not [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This *sounds* like you have 12v permanent (yellow wire) wired to your accessory line and 12v switched (orange wire) connected to your permanent feed.

Which (I've heard) can happen on some models of car with ISO connectors, because these two wires are swapped in the connector.

Hey, Fox, if this turns out to be the source of the problem, please post that here so we can put it in the FAQ. The headlight dimmer thing is already in the FAQ...

#15570 - 28/08/2000 10:55 Re: bug or not [Re: fox]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
This happend to me. I had the unit correcly hooked up to constant power and switched power. But if I turned off the vehicle it would forget where it was, although if I pulled the player out of the cradle it would remember. At first I thought it was internal to the empeg but after further testing I found it was the ignition switch on my truck. So to fix it I put a capacitor across the switched 12 volt power and ground. If you have the ability to do this I would try it first with capacitors in the hundreds of microfarad range. It's really simple and you can get the caps at the Ratshack. just make sure you get ones rated to at least 15 volts, and you observe the polarity of the cap.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

Added later:
I just realized your problem is completly different than mine. I thought someone else had the same situation and just assumed yours was the post. So if someone has the symtoms I described the fix is above. Otherwise ignore me.

Edited by bmihulka on 28/8/00 06:58 PM.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#15571 - 28/08/2000 11:02 Re: bug or not [Re: bmihulka]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So to fix it I put a capacitor across the switched 12 volt power and ground. If you have the ability to do this I would try it first with capacitors in the hundreds of microfarad range. It's really simple and you can get the caps at the Ratshack. just make sure you get ones rated to at least 15 volts, and you observe the polarity of the cap.

And if you do this, it also needs a rectifier/diode in the system, as per this schematic, otherwise you're draining your car battery to keep the cap filled. At least that's how I understand it. Then again, if it's on the other side of your ignition switch, then maybe it's no big deal.

#15572 - 28/08/2000 11:12 Re: bug or not [Re: tfabris]
fox
stranger

and this was really the problem ! i had to change the two signals.

this was on a:

volkswagen T4 (transporter)
with iso plug

all other signals are on the right place eccept the mentioned permanent 12v and the ignition 12v.

after changing it everithing works smooth

#15573 - 28/08/2000 11:24 Re: bug or not [Re: fox]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah yes, on a Volkswagen. It's been reported elsewhere that VW has those two wires on the ISO connector swapped backwards. I'll go add that to the FAQ now, thanks.