Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#157349 - 26/04/2003 11:22 Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving
decay
journeyman

'Ello.

I've been reading the board, I've added another HD to my Mk1. My Empeg has been used for ~2 years now.

Today while driving I experienced this, first time. I was playing Kovenant and drove happily as suddenly the playing stops. ... Nothing happens, I can still see the screen in Info mode. The song just didn't play anymore, time was not running. I could pause the player, play it, nothing. I even did could go to the next track, and back to this one. No sound, no playing.

Ok, clearly I paniced. Shutdown by holding the up-button. Woke up, not playing.
Pulled out from the cradle, re-insert. Then I got the message No HD found contact support. [nice tux]. Pulled out the empeg again.

Panicing and drivin' like a mad moose... Ok, after ~5 mins I re-inserted the empeg and everything was fine.

Parked the car, went shopping, started the car. Everything fine.

What could it be, HD just to be broken? Cables trying to broke? Suggestions what to do, Should I start to backup my music?

I've been through the sections in the FAQ. My primary HD is original, and so is the cable. Secondary HD is my and bought the cable for it from the local comp store.

#157350 - 26/04/2003 11:36 Re: Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving [Re: decay]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

A Mark1. First time I have seen this problem here. Typically, it is a bad cable, dry solder joints or something like that. But I am not as familiar with the Mark1 hardware. You might want to just doublecheck the physical stuff (connectors, header, jumpers if any, etc.).

#157351 - 26/04/2003 12:07 Re: Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving [Re: pgrzelak]
decay
journeyman

Mark 1 has two separate IDE-connectors. So. No jumpers required, since drives are default masters if no jumpers present.

If the problem occurs again, and more often, of course I'll the the unit inside and check the serial port boottime. But, right now I'm just worried if it could be my HD failing.. Since, re-making all my playlists would, well, not be fun.

#157352 - 26/04/2003 12:19 Re: Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving [Re: decay]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Decay, open the player and check to make sure that one of the cables isn't getting frayed from rubbing against components on the main board. That happened to my Mk1.

Also, I had a drive in my Mk1 simply go bad. That could be happening here, too.

#157353 - 26/04/2003 12:24 Re: Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Either way, backing up your data would not be a bad idea.

#157354 - 26/04/2003 13:15 Re: Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving [Re: tfabris]
decay
journeyman

Decay, open the player and check to make sure that one of the cables isn't getting frayed from rubbing against components on the main board.

When I broke the seals and added the secondary drive, I found out that the original cable had rubbed against something. So I put some tape around the cable for protection. *shrug* Maybe the tape has worn off d=)

Thanks for your replies. Though I consider it a PITA to backup. [pondering] I have this extra 10gb drive in my closet... Would it be a gr8 time to upgrade my 6gb original drive.... *mmm* [/pondering]

#157355 - 26/04/2003 14:28 Re: Hard Disk not found, mk1 - stopped while driving [Re: decay]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I found out that the original cable had rubbed against something.
In my case, that "something" was a sharp point where two pins of a jumper had been soldered together. It's not enough just to put tape on it, you have to fix the problem of the sharp point or it'll just go right through the tape again.