Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16096 - 30/08/2000 10:49 Linking vs. Copying
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
I know a variation of this has been covered before, but here it goes anyway:

When I want a playlist to appear in two places in my playlist tree, I can do one of two things: copy a playlist, or create a new playlist (probably with the same name as the original) and copy tracks into it. In the first case, if I delete a track from either copy of the list, it is gone (because I have, in Unix parlance, two links to the same list - i.e. directory). In the other case there are two independent lists, and I can manipulate tracks within each without disturbing the other (of course, change to the track itself - say, genre - in one list will be reflected in the other, too).

Now, in some situations I prefer one behaviour, in some the other. I would just like to be able to tell (without experimenting or going throug CSV list) which of the two is the case. I propose a column in emplode for FID (if I understand properly, they could be seen as equivalnet to inode numbers), and a number of 'links' to particular file. So, if I notice that my list has more than one copy, I just sort by FID and see what it is linked to. Of course, this would also require fully expanded view of the whole player.

I have read somewhere that Win explorer right-drag interface is being contemplated for emplode. It would be nice to include this functionality, too (so that in the case of a list we would have move and two kinds of copy - copy list or copy content, or something like that).

Just my 0.17 HRK...

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#16097 - 02/10/2000 16:16 Re: Linking vs. Copying [Re: bonzi]
jpski
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'd also like to see some more options in regards to this post. I would like to have the ability to:
1) recursively copy the contents of a playlist...excluding the actual songs (Actual songs should should never be duplicated). By recursive-copy, I mean make a true 'copy' of everything in a playlist... not just a symbolic link.
2) Have some visual 'warning' showing you that you are manipulating a list that has other links to it. Similar to bonzi's suggestion.
3) Possibly a command to recursively convert a symbolically linked playlist into copied playlists (Excluding actual songs).
4) Possibly an option for a playlist: true/false option for 'always symbolically link'. This would be good for individual albums... Album contents should never change, and any changes that are made to an album should be global across the entire database.

If any of these suggestions are unclear, let me know and I will clarify/elaborate.
See also, my original post.

Mk2/40GB/Blue

#16098 - 02/10/2000 23:22 Re: Linking vs. Copying [Re: jpski]
kimbotha

Loc: London, UK
Would it be possible for the empeg to use hard links in the song database...? This would allow multiple copies of the same track with the same data (no wasted space) but different info... The filesystem itself would happily maintain the number of links to a particular track and handle deleting the data only when the last copy is deleted...

I realise it would require some housekeeping when used with dual hard drive models... It might also be possible to use symlinks... they would work with the dual hard drives but require housekeeping when removing copies to make sure the actual data isn't removed...

It would be great to be able to have the same track live in different playlists with different info attached...

Cheers

Kim