Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#161251 - 13/05/2003 14:35 Trip to Carmel by-the-sea
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I'm tenatively planning a trip to Carmel-by-the-sea, CA in August. Actually...let me be honest...its not just a trip. It's actually my honeymoon.

I'm hoping with all the collective experience in this forum, someone can suggest some cool things to do (besides, umm, the obvious), places to visit or stay or eat in the area. Whatever. Any feedback is good. It looks like I'll be flying in to San Jose and renting a convertable to drive into Carmel via rt. 1. Looking at possibly staying at Tickle Pink Inn unless I get better suggestions.

#161252 - 13/05/2003 14:51 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Rent a convertable.

-Zeke

#161253 - 13/05/2003 16:21 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I grew up in Monterey which is right over the hill from Carmel, so I know the area pretty well. Hotels aren't my strongsuit, however, as I never really need them. Be aware that the Tickle Pink Inn isn't in carmel at all, and is a fifteen minute drive from anywhere. it's a beautifull area though with amazing views.

You don't say how long you'll be staying so I'll throw out some things and you can edit to suit.

I'd definitly take a day to drive down the big sur coast. I'd reccomend Deetjen's Restaurant as the best place for dinner, but there are other places. If you go far enough you can make it San Simeon and the Hearst Castle which is an amazing place.

In carmel, there isn't much to do besides shop and eat. My favorite italian place is Cafe Napoli on Ocean. If you want to really blow your budget, Casanova is expensive but good.

Carmel Beach is beautiful, and champaign is the only allowed alcoholic beverage, specificaly because you can't have a wedding without champaign.

If you drive over the hill to Monterey and Pacific Grove, there's more to do and see. There's a great steet fair/farmer's market on Tuesday afternoons with all sorts of food and things to buy. It goes on all year, but it's far more active durring the summer. It's on Alvarado, which is the main street down town. Once you're there, you're a short walk from Fisherman's Warf, which has more restaurants, and nice views of the ocean.

There's also the Aquarium, which if you like sea life is a great place to visit. The "Outer Bay" tank is still new to use locals, and the massive sea turle is great. The earlier in the day you arrive, the less of a crowd there will be. Also aiming for Sunday afternoons when the majority of weekenders have left isn't bad. The aquarium is located on "cannery row" as featured in the John Steinbeck novels, though there aren't really any cannerys left.

Continuing on around the bay, you'll get to Pacific Grove, which has a nice downtown area with more shops. The Scotch Bakery is a great bakery that hasn't changed a thing in at least 30 years. Fandango is another good restaurant for a nice dinner.

Santa Cruz is also a nice day trip away, if you want to visit a town still stuck in the 60's.

That should get you started. Is there anything specificaly that interests you?

Matthew

#161254 - 13/05/2003 16:27 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The food here is somewhat pedestrian but the view is nice. Go close to sundown.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

#161255 - 13/05/2003 16:33 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

A few more things I forgot... Congraulations, first of all.

You'll be going through Santa Cruz on you way to Carmel from San Jose if that interests you.

If cars interest you at all, you should really aim for the weekend of August 16-17, as that is "Car Weekend" on the monterey peninsula. I wrote up a bit about it last year. I'm still thinking about a meet here that weekend if people are interested. Somehow I doubt your plans are too flexible at this point, however.

Matthew

#161256 - 13/05/2003 23:50 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: matthew_k]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Be aware that the Tickle Pink Inn isn't in carmel at all, and is a fifteen minute drive from anywhere.

Yeah...I picked that up in my research. I don't mind a short drive into town for the day though, and being a little more secluded is probably a good thing™. I liked what I saw of the rooms and the reviews I read on it were great. They're sending me some more info. I'll need to decide on that soon so I can get a reservation.
You don't say how long you'll be staying so I'll throw out some things and you can edit to suit

Sorry...I should have been more specific on the dates and times. We'll just be out there the week of Aug 3 - 9 because we have to squeeze it in before she starts back at school. That and I'm not a rich man...so I'll probably won't be able to budget more than that.
I'd definitly take a day to drive down the big sur coast.

I've done it once as a boy from Anaheim to San Francisco, much of it on Hwy 1. I don't remember much but the fact that it was quite lovely at times. I'm pretty sure that's on the agenda. Just gotta get the empeg working in that rental . I actually mostly remember the Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods and the Redwood Forest and visiting a little Danish town in Southern CA named Solvang. The rest is a little fuzzy. And I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, so I'll shut up now.
Carmel Beach is beautiful, and champagne is the only allowed alcoholic beverage

Neither of us imbibe, so that won't be a problem.

Some of the stuff you mentioned sounds fascinating...I've always wanted to go to Hearst Castle. Is that doable as a day trip? We'll probably make it to the wharf and market because she likes to shop at markets and such. I'll be checking out the other links and suggestions and will probably post more about them as I get the chance. Is the Winchester Mansion in San Jose worth seeing if we can fit it in on the way there or back?

The internet is a great thing, but it's difficult to get a feel for what's available without some local knowlege. Thanks for taking the time to help me out...many beautiful virgins await you in paradise.

John

#161257 - 14/05/2003 01:16 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
It's actually my honeymoon. [...] some cool things to do (besides, umm, the obvious) [...] Tickle Pink Inn
No comment.

Peter

#161258 - 14/05/2003 05:27 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: peter]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

*snickers* It is named somewhat appropriately It just happened that I liked it best of the places I looked at online. So I figured it'd make a funny story to tell later.

#161259 - 14/05/2003 08:00 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've always wanted to go to Hearst Castle. Is that doable as a day trip?
Yes, but you have to call ahead of time (sometimes the day or week before) and reserve a spot, then make sure you get there on time.

If you do the drive down the coast, off the steep cliffs just North of Hearst Castle, you can often see whales cresting right from your car. Have your passenger keep an eye out.

#161260 - 14/05/2003 09:34 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: tfabris]
holio
stranger

I like to stay at the Carmel Valley Ranch. Great accomodations, good golf.
here

Adam

#161261 - 15/07/2003 08:25 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: holio]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Thanks Zeke, Matthew,Tony, Derrick and Adam (but not Peter ) for all the good advice so far.

T-minus 18 days and counting till I'm no longer a free man . Just wanted to dredge this old thread up in case anyone had any more last-minute suggestions on what to do in the Monterey/Carmel area.

Or, for that matter, feel free to dispense advice on life/marriage in general.

#161262 - 16/07/2003 20:09 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

I've spent the last few weeks in Monterey, so it seems like I should have some more advice. Coast Weekly is the local free weekly paper that details all the upcoming events. Mainly it only deals with the upcoming week, but the plays and such have longer runs.

Defintly make a a day trip down to San Simeon. It's a fairly long drive, but doable if you spend the whole day. I suspect you'll enjoy it far more than the winchester mystery house, though I've never been.

Good Luck,
Matthew

#161263 - 16/07/2003 23:52 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I was just in Monterey for the 4th weekend. I'll 3rd the aquarium. The Jellies exhibit is out-of-this-world.

One tip - between about 11am and 3pm the traffic was backed up for miles on Hwy 1 at the turn-offs to Carmel by-the-sea. So if you're planning on spending time actually at Carmel by-the-sea - I'd recommend getting there mid-morning. If you get in the traffic, it'll literally take you an hour to get down to CBTS - unless you're staying there of course.

There's also a great restaurant at Rocky Point not far from the Tickle Pink. They have good food and a cool bar that overlooks Rocky Point. Jessica Pfeiffer State Park about 40 minutes south of Rocky Point is also cool. There are some trails there and a lot of good views.

Also, if you are able to head north, there's a great redwood grove about 10 minutes from Santa Cruz in the north part of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park off of Hwy 9 that is a geat place to spend the afternoon.

Anyway, there are my suggestions. Have a great Honeymoon!

*Edit* - Oh and 17 mile drive is legendary if you're into golf.

- trs

#161264 - 23/10/2003 15:28 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: trs24]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Just posted long overdue pictures of the trip here.

Thanks for the suggestions...I got to do several of the things you guys recommended.

#161265 - 23/10/2003 16:48 Re: Trip to Carmel by-the-sea [Re: JBjorgen]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
"Me with big wood on my honeymoon.
Viewed: 4 times"

Nice caption!

Nice to see Mrs. Meatballman too!

-Zeke