Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#162042 - 18/05/2003 10:09 HD upgrade/replacement
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
Question. I have 2 10 gig drives in my empeg. One of them is about to fail, so I purchased a 40 gig to replace both 10 gigs, and use the other good 10 gig either in my laptop or other empeg. I pondered just replacing the bad drive and keeping the other 10 gig in there... but I have better uses for it elsewhere now that I have plenty of storage with the 40.

The ailing drive still works for now. I already downloaded all my mp3s with jemplode, but it would be nice if I could copy the fids from both drives onto the new one. I know how to copy the fids from drive to drive, but is it possible to copy the fids off 1 drive to the new drive, then attach the other drive and copy the fids from it to the new one? I'm worried that there might exist duplicate file names.

Its no big deal, if this doesn't work I'll just dump my backup directory back onto the new drive with (j)emplode.

#162043 - 18/05/2003 10:14 Re: HD upgrade/replacement [Re: BleachLPB]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
it possible to copy the fids off 1 drive to the new drive, then attach the other drive and copy the fids from it to the new one? I'm worried that there might exist duplicate file names.
This will work fine and there should be no duplicate file names.

Peter

#162044 - 19/05/2003 00:19 Re: HD upgrade/replacement [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
but is it possible to copy the fids off 1 drive to the new drive, then attach the other drive and copy the fids from it to the new one?
Yes, as Peter said, you can do this as long as both of the drives were from the same empeg. They can't be from two different empegs, they have to be from the same one. But then that will work.

Note that this information is already in the Drive Upgrade Guide if you read it closely.

#162045 - 19/05/2003 00:22 Re: HD upgrade/replacement [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Note that this information is already in the Drive Upgrade Guide if you read it closely.
Oh my God, I just checked, it's NOT in there. I could have sworn I put it in there.

/me goes to edit the drive upgrade guide...

#162046 - 19/05/2003 00:34 Re: HD upgrade/replacement [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay NOW it's in there.

I didn't expect to be staying up this late after a day at Marine World with the family. I blame my mistake on sheer lack of sleep.

/me retreats to his alcove...

#162047 - 19/05/2003 18:51 Re: HD upgrade/replacement [Re: tfabris]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
I thought something was different about that hard drive upgrade guide today...

I was copying my fids today and reading through the guide again, and thought "Hmm, that example sounds a lot like my situation, but I don't remember it being there before..."

I'll let this one slide...