Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#162253 - 20/05/2003 10:52 DIsplay Garbled...
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
Here's a puzzler for you guys...

I have the symptoms of a garbled display (as discussed in the FAQ). In the FAQ, it states it is likely to be a fuse that has blown, and that this can blow without provocation (which, as I haven't touched the player in months, is fair enough).

The only odd part about the whole thing is... if I shake the player it works again.

Obviously, fuses don't start working again when kinetic energy is imparted upon them, so it sounds like a loose connection. As the chances of a loose connection on a surface-mount component such as one of the fuses is ludicrously small (although I'm not ruling it out), what other areas should I be checking?
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#162254 - 20/05/2003 10:56 Re: DIsplay Garbled... [Re: snoopstah]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Obviously, fuses don't start working again when kinetic energy is imparted upon them, so it sounds like a loose connection.
I dunno how those SMT fuses are made. Maybe they do work that way?

Anyway, one other thing that it could be is the display cable, as described in the next FAQ entry right after the one you linked. If it turns out to be that, let me know so that I can update the entry you linked.