Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#162808 - 27/05/2003 04:42 Display acting funny and empeg powers down
kjohanss
journeyman

Loc: Bjørkelangen, Norway
I have the MKII with recent upgrade v.2.

Yesterday when putting my player into the car, it showed the startup screen, but powered down immediately after finishing buiding the database. The display acts funny (see illustration) while in startup mode.

The power button is not working, and the power led is not illuminated after powering down.

I have tried to install the v.2 again - successfully but still with the same problem.

It acts in the same way when powering up with the power net adaptor.

Attachments
160907-empeg_bugs.jpg (84 downloads)

'enni mizpellings ar dju tu kompjutr error'

www.kyrre.no

Norway, Hijack'ed 120GB upgrade, MKII, tuner, green, red, blue, yellow, illuminated. Looking good!

#162809 - 27/05/2003 04:51 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: kjohanss]
kjohanss
journeyman

I think I have found what's wrong. Tha FAQ says something about a fuse on the motherboard. I'm investigating now...

www.kyrre.no

Norway, Hijack'ed 120GB upgrade, MKII, tuner, green, red, blue, yellow, illuminated. Looking good!

#162810 - 27/05/2003 08:25 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: kjohanss]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Good thing you mentioned the FAQ before tony came across this thread

Good luck on getting it fixed.

- trs

#162811 - 27/05/2003 11:57 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: trs24]
kjohanss
journeyman

Yeah, well... for a novice like me, not even strong in the english language - reading the FAQ is difficult. Understanding that my precious empeg has a blown fuse solded solid to the motherboard is even harder.

I have tested the resistant on the fuse, and it actually reads about 75% on my meter. The fuse to the right reads 100%. Can I asume that the fuse to the left must be replaced?

I tried to order the fuse from http://www.digikey.com - the fuse costs $0.79 and int. shipping $18! So, I'm trying to find a reseller in Noway. Anyone know one?

www.kyrre.no

#162812 - 27/05/2003 12:08 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: kjohanss]
kjohanss
journeyman

Not the resistance - continuity.

As I said...

www.kyrre.no

#162813 - 27/05/2003 13:01 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: kjohanss]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, well... for a novice like me, not even strong in the english language - reading the FAQ is difficult.
Are there any bilingual persons on the BBS who can tell me if my writing style in the FAQ is reasonably babelfish-compliant? For example, someone who speaks English and German who can put the FAQ into babelfish and see if it's still readable when it comes out the other end.

/me makes a mental note to go check and see if one of the FAQ links works as a direct link in babelfish or if a copy-and-paste of the text is necessary.

#162814 - 27/05/2003 13:33 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: kjohanss]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
reads about 75% on my meter. The fuse to the right reads 100%. Can I asume that the fuse to the left must be replaced?

Without knowing what range you meter was set on it's hard to say - but I wouldn't be surprised if the circuitry surrounding the fuse will show some conductance even though the fuse is blown. But with the fuse intact your meter should show about 0 Ohm (same as if you touched the pins from the meter to each other, and probably what you see with the other fuse), which typically is full deflection if you have an analog (needle) meter .

So, yes, I'd change it.

You might try http://www.elfa.se/no/, they have a decent range of stuff...

/Michael

#162815 - 27/05/2003 17:39 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: tfabris]

For example, someone who speaks English and German who can put the FAQ into babelfish and see if it's still readable when it comes out the other end.

I did a quick check for German with these two FAQ entries:
What is the difference between the empeg Car and the Rio Car?
I don't have a serial port on my PC. Is the serial port required?
using this incarnation of babelfish.
Seems perfectely fine to me. I would have been able to extract the vital piece of information out of the translated material. For some reason the categories and questions are a lot harder to read than the answers. Still within the acceptable range though. Except 'Hijack Kernel Questions' which got translated to 'mugger hard-core issues'. But there's no way to have special vocabulary accurately translated I suppose.

#162816 - 27/05/2003 18:20 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: 753]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks! That makes me rest easier.

#162817 - 27/05/2003 18:23 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Translating to Spanish, then back to English again, produces this mildly amusing text:

· I does not have a serial port in my PC is the required serial port? The serial port is not required to load music on the player. In fact, the USB and Ethernet are the favourite methods because they are much more fast. Nevertheless, the serial port is required whenever you increase software of the player. It is also the only way that you can send standards or nuclei of order to the player. And if you he preputs himself to make some development of software for the player, you cannot even obtain begun without the initial serial connection. If its PC has only ports of the USB, is the USB-a-seriales adapters available that must work. Also, if you have a free groove (even a groove of the PCI), you can add a serial card rather easily. Like passed resource, you could make your improvements of software in the PC of a friend if she had seriales ports.
You're right. Even at two steps removed, the important information is there, even if the phrasing is a little difficult to understand and a few of the terms obviously got mangled in the translation.

#162818 - 27/05/2003 19:04 Re: Display acting funny and empeg powers down [Re: kjohanss]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Try emailing Rob (the Support guy) --> he probably has fuses in The Netherlands, much cheaper for him to mail you one.

Cheers