Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#163443 - 30/05/2003 05:27 MK I dead !!
Compusger
new poster

Loc: Lake of Constance/Baden Wuertt...
Hi there ;-)
I upgradet the HDD in my MK I to a 30 GB Fujitsu. All worked fine, exept Emplode did a rebuild an remount and quitted after receiving all, so i started over and over and.. i stopped things... got to bed...
After about 4 minutes i noticed a smell which was unusual....
After power off and examation i figured out a quraz in a metal case, laying on my pinnacle tv card... ugh.....

Removed the card, botted the Pc again... tryed to synchronise the empeg again.. nothing worked....

Both, the USB and the serial ports are defective on the ASUS MB...
After all... the MK I will do nothing, expet light up the front LED and the internal yellow LED, no HDD spin up, i even disconnected the internal HDD.. nothing at all. I could not see any burned electronic pice on the MB of the MK 1, nothing looks unusual... but i am scared to connect the device to my notebook over a serial connection to check out the boot message....

Any suggestions ????

Greetings from Munich / Germany

#163444 - 30/05/2003 06:56 Re: MK I dead !! [Re: Compusger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I have been running the builder on a lot of drives recently. I have noticed that if I try to build a previously built drive, I get errors.

Specifically, after the build completes and the upgrade file is applied successfully, the boot log shows an error in the newly generated file system. The physical drives are found, but the partitions are not. It will still boot into the player application (because this is a fresh install, there were no existing playlists in my case) with a blank playlist. Attempts to connect with emplode force a reboot of the player, and emplode to either crash or produce an error.

I found that rebuilding the drive a second time will correct this problem. During this rebuild, it will not recognize any existing partitions, so it will proceed without any manual intervention / keystrokes.

I never actually documented this out or reported it as a bug, but I guess I should. I will try it out the weekend, and see if I can get it to a consistant, documentable report. For myself, it has been consistant with various drive sizes over at least four different attempts.

Meanwhile, could you post a boot log of the player so that I can see if it is the same error I saw previously? Thanks.

#163445 - 30/05/2003 06:58 Re: MK I dead !! [Re: Compusger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
What you're saying is that your PC's serial ports are dead not due to the empeg and that you had some trouble with the empeg at the same time?

I can't imagine what problem attaching it to your laptop would cause.

#163446 - 30/05/2003 07:14 Re: MK I dead !! [Re: wfaulk]
Compusger
new poster

Status..changed..

O.K., after all... i disassembled the MK 1. coul'nt find any defective looking components...
So i decidet to try it again, checked my connectors of the PC and.. oh wonder...healing processes.... the usb ports worked again (after completeley shutdown and wait for about 10 minutes) and even the serial Port is fine too.....
So i disconnected the hdd from the MK1, attached he serial cable, started hyperterm, oh wonder.. let the penguins fly..... but nothing more....
So.. i flashed again, V 2 final Kernel and here we go, running, showing the logo and... after reconnecting the hdd... even that one is recognized.....

So i decidet myself to do the kernel upgrade again, i chose the developer because of the shell...
After the upgrade... i got an error, which in my oppinion, is the becasue of quitting Emplode application. It sends a player restart and after that the application is ending...

it looks the following:

Prolux 4 empeg car - 2.1425 Mar 26 2003
Vcb: 0x4028d000
Adding Swap: 16028k swap-space (priority -2)
e2fsck 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/
hda4 is mounted.
Restored terminal settings
Remounting first music partition read-only
Remounting second music partition read-only
No secondary hard disk
Restart code received
Starting player
player.cpp : 385:empeg-car 2.00 2003/04/01.
! tags.cpp : 61:Failed to open tags (0xc0041002).
Prolux 4 empeg car - 2.1425 Mar 26 2003
Vcb: 0x4028d000

I did everything twice, even the builder kernel and i did even the HDD preparation twice....

So the status is... better then in the beginning :-) But still not good.

BTW: I received a very fast response from the support by email, i am real satisfyed becasue of that ! So there is a support and there is even a repair service, good to know, even when it will be not needed (puh.. i am glad...).

Greetings from Munich and thank you all for your support !

Ralf

#163447 - 30/05/2003 07:39 Re: MK I dead !! [Re: Compusger]
Compusger
new poster

I did the builder again......

real 0m41.667s
user 0m0.690s
sys 0m3.100s
set_blocksize: b_count 1, dev ide0(3,4), block 1!
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,4)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group
64 not in group (block 3)!
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda4,
or too many mounted file systems
hdstress.cpp 189 ( 18): Poll result=0 on fd=5
Stressing /dev/hda: Spinning down.
Stressing /dev/hda: Spinning up.
Speed checking /dev/hda3
Read/write of 8Mb took 7.12 seconds
Stressing /dev/hda: Spinning down.
any ideas ???

#163448 - 30/05/2003 08:05 Re: MK I dead !! [Re: Compusger]
Compusger
new poster

Success II (like the other guy :-) ) everything is fine now.. i did all again, deleted manual and so on... checked even th fs manually.. rebooted... emploded :-)
everything is fine, i have 27 gb avail... even resync worked 2 times :-)

Hey, now i am lucky. let's beam that good sounds on the player and let's go out for a drive in the nissan 200Sx, Mod S14 (i guess allmost nobody knows it :-) and have fun...

Thank you all for your help, wish you a perfect weekend !