Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16398 - 02/09/2000 03:50 Hang on Boot
bryan
journeyman

Loc: New Zealand
Has anyone had a hang at the "Building music databases..." boot stage? (at least since beta 9)

I've had it happen once or twice before, but now my unit is unusable (both in and out of the car).

I tried reflashing it, which worked. The unit then booted, I stuck it in the car and now it's back to hanging again. What's worse is that because, in car, it has a permanent power feed, you can turn the engine off and the empeg stays on. This means that when you pull it out of the dash you get a God awful bang out of the speakers. I hope like hell I haven't blown anything up.

Bryan, the depressed.

PS: I found Tonys' statement particularly prophetic.

#16399 - 02/09/2000 04:05 Re: Hang on Boot [Re: bryan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
If the unit is indeed building the music databases, this can take a few minutes on a full unit: the fact it's building the databases means that the last sync didn't complete fully (the last stage of a sync is to rebuild the databases so they can be loaded quickly at powerup).

Try letting it finish at home on AC power, then run emplode and just click sync. If this doesn't help, mail [email protected] - there may be something we can do (bugs have been found in the database code and we may be able to get you a fixed version that hasn't got released yet).

Hugo

#16400 - 02/09/2000 10:03 Re: Hang on Boot [Re: altman]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Thanks - I just experienced this last night. The emplode sync hung on my computer and I wanted to take the player out with me. Every time it booted it took 15-20 sec (normally take 3-4sec). I was worried that I corrupted the db or something. I followed Hugo's suggestion, and its back to 3-4 seconds to load. Thanks.

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#16401 - 02/09/2000 10:05 Re: Hang on Boot [Re: bryan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
PS: I found Tonys' statement particularly prophetic.

The funny thing is, before the Mark2's came out, they did have all the synch bugs swatted. Synchs were rock solid for a while there. It's too bad to see these synch bugs getting reported now. For what it's worth, synchs have been very stable for me all this time, with all the revisions of the software since beta 10 or so.

By the way, your problem sounds a lot like what I experienced a couple times in the past: Errors on "rebuilding music database" that eventually self-corrected after enough synch attempts. Keep trying and see if it gets past it.