Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#164684 - 08/06/2003 17:12 Its me again.. and I have a Question
belezeebub
addict

Some of you might remember the long thread I created when I was trying to find a GPS/ Nav system work around so I could Keep my Empeg..

Well bad news the New Head Unit I purchased does not have a LIVE VIDEO feed when the truck is in motion
So it is with a heavy heart that I must ask "How much is my Old Fathfull Empeg Mk2 60G unit worth ?? I have the Remote, bag and maybe even the sticker) Plus I have an Extra Rio Branded Remote.??

I am now running a
Alpine IVA-D900 Head Unit
Alpine NVE-N852A nav System
Alpine DHA-S680 DVD Changer
Alpine CHA-S634 MP3 Changer
and I have pre Ordered a HDA-5460
In-Dash Add-On/Stand Alone HDD (Hard Disc Drive) Player
To take the place of my Beloved Empeg.
16GB Removable HDD
• Stores approximately 3,000 songs
• MP3/WMA/WAV Playback Capability
• BioLite Display
• Quick Search Function
• DJ Music Mix (Music Genre DJ Interface)
• Music Visualizer
• Mobile Multimedia Driver Software

(Damm Laws in 48 states say no live Video in the drivers field of View.)

Edited by belezeebub (08/06/2003 17:14)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#164685 - 08/06/2003 17:16 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: belezeebub]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
(Damm Laws in 48 states say no live Video in the drivers field of View.)

I'm glad to hear that since the general public is too stupid to pay attention and drive their vehicles well anyway, I feel a little safer now

MKI #017/90

whatever

#164686 - 08/06/2003 17:19 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: belezeebub]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Typical ebay pricing for a 60GB unit these days is around $700-800, best guess. There have been a lot of players around for sale, on both ebay and the board, but they have been a bit expensive for much activity.

The remote will probably get you around $50, as will the bag.

My deepest condolences, though, at the thought of selling the empeg.

#164687 - 08/06/2003 17:42 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: Laura]
belezeebub
addict

Too bad laws do not prohibit 3 Screaming Kids in the back Seat or the Moron in the next lane doing the NYT Crossword Puzzle and the lady behind you putting on her eye liner at 70MPH on I-5
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#164688 - 08/06/2003 19:12 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: belezeebub]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Have you checked to see how this is enforced? Usualy, they use a sensor on the parking break to determine if you car is in motion. You can usualy disable this yourself, or slip your installer $20. If they're being tricky, they could be using the GPS to decide if you're in motion which would be harder to defeat.

Matthew

#164689 - 08/06/2003 19:29 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: matthew_k]
belezeebub
addict

I know it can be disablied Alpine requires a few steps to turn on the screen place car in park hold break Ect..

The Issue is I don't need the ticket I don't understand why but the law is the law.. you can have a Full motion GPS screen going but not live video.

You can also purchased from Ebay a "black Box" to disable the lock out

Edited by belezeebub (08/06/2003 19:30)

#164690 - 09/06/2003 07:17 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: belezeebub]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Do you seriously not understand, or is that just indignation?

#164691 - 09/06/2003 08:37 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: wfaulk]
belezeebub
addict

Both.

I don't see how they draw the line.. the High end cars have full screen gps map data and that is legal but having a video feed so in my case I could see the front of a remote mounted EMpeg and that is a No NO.

What if I wanted to add a FLIR system to my truck for driving in bad weather ? Nope can't do that ether.

#164692 - 09/06/2003 09:28 Re: Its me again.. and I have a Question [Re: belezeebub]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
How many times have you watched a GPS for any lengh of time.. Get's kinda boring after the first 5 or so seconds.. And I have never once been distracted by my GPS while driving..

Edit: I would think that the reason they disable the video input unless the vehicle is in park, is to prevent people from watching movies while driving. If you are just displaying your empeg, I don't think they have any cause to give you a ticket..

Edited by Yang (09/06/2003 09:32)