Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16833 - 05/09/2000 18:42 starting track bug
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i have noticed a couple of times that after i start the car, the empeg picks up in the middle of a completely different song than the one i was listening to when i turned off the car. unfortunately, i can't give any details regarding the exact situations, as i am usually not paying attention to what is going on when i shut off the car. since i have noticed though, i will try to keep an eye out for what may be causing it. btw, it is running v1.0 developer.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#16834 - 05/09/2000 20:24 Re: starting track bug [Re: jstrain]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
i have noticed a couple of times that after i start the car, the empeg picks up in the middle of a completely different song than the one i was listening to when i turned off the car.

This happens when it didn't save its state properly at the last power-down. It happens to me intermittently on my Mark 1. The song it starts in the middle of is the one from the previous power down.

Empeg guys, this is a rare and intermittent problem, but it's definitely real. Are you aware of it and do you have an idea what might cause it?

Now, I have to admit, the fact that it can save its state to NVRAM at all when the power is yanked... that's amazing to me in and of itself: The thing attempts to do a state-save as it detects the voltage dropping from a power loss. It's done with the player's last dying breaths- the remaining few electrons circulating in its innards as it sputters into cold oblivion. It's got mere milliseconds to detect the power loss and get the job done before it hasn't got enough power to do the job at all. To me, this is just amazingly cool when it does work, so I don't find it surprising that it sometimes fails.

#16835 - 06/09/2000 10:00 Re: starting track bug [Re: tfabris]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i am also amazed. i am not upset at all about it. in fact, i have only noticed it a few times. just figured i'd mention it, although it really dosen't bother me at all.

jeremy (just trying to get above journeyman)

12 gig, green...

#16836 - 06/09/2000 11:08 Re: starting track bug [Re: jstrain]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This shouldn't happen, but it still does sometimes: it doesn't affect mk2's as these are in control of their own power and so ensure that the data is all saved before they power themselves down. In theory, we could shorten the block used to store state info, which would increase the chance of the save happening before power ran out - but we've currently got no plans as it happens very rarely.

Hugo

#16837 - 07/09/2000 01:46 Re: starting track bug [Re: altman]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

This shouldn't happen, but it still does sometimes: it doesn't affect mk2's as these are in control of their own power and so ensure that the data is all saved before they power themselves down.

...except for those of us that don't bother to power-down the empeg before pulling it:)
-m

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#16838 - 07/09/2000 01:56 Re: starting track bug [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
...except for those of us that don't bother to power-down the empeg before pulling it:)

I think that even in that case it does a state-save. I know my Mark 1 does, and I'm pretty sure the Mark 2 does. That's one reason I'm amazed by it.

#16839 - 07/09/2000 04:18 Re: starting track bug [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

I think that even in that case it does a state-save. I know my Mark 1 does, and I'm pretty sure the Mark 2 does. That's one reason I'm amazed by it.

Yeah, it does - 98% of the time; but then there's those two percents when I'm like "where did THAT song come from :)" What I meant was that the power's not in empeg's hands when you pull it.. Hugo was saying that it's able to turn itself off, so it doesn't have to do that trick most of the time..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!