Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168865 - 03/07/2003 05:56 Dead Battery Feature request!
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
The other night at a party I managed to kill my battery in my car after playing music for a few hours. The empeg currently senses low voltage and displays an icon on the screen (i.e. when you have the player running and then start your engine).

I was wondering if there was a way to make an option somewhere in the software (or maybe even hijack) such that if the icon is on for more then 1 minute that the empeg could shut down thereby leaving you with enough juice to restart your car. Maybe have it wait for the end of the current song (if the song is less the 10 minutes) and play a warning message before shutting down. I think that would have gained me many cool points the other night. Instead I had to get a push to pop the clutch to get her running again.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement (this is not coming from a programmer though so what do I know?)? The icon already appears and I am pretty sure it was on the screen the whole time. I was just too far away from the screen to see it. There should be someway to see when this icon is being displayed and then start a timer to run the low voltage scenario.

Thanks for listening! Hope this idea is a dooable one!

Rene

#168866 - 06/07/2003 20:49 Re: Dead Battery Feature request! [Re: ShadowMan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I managed to kill my battery in my car after playing music for a few hours

Odd...

My player will quit from low voltage before the battery is so low I can't start the car. Of course, if I ignore it the amps will still be draining the battery with eventual unhappy results.

But, I guess that would vary from car to car. Some starter motors will turn the engine over at lower voltage than others. I guess mine will work at 10-11 volts, which I think is the threshold where the empeg quits.

tanstaafl.