Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16889 - 06/09/2000 09:51 Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Not sure if this has been requested before but I would like a to have a storage compartment to put in the empty docking sleeve when the empeg is moved from one car to another.

I have a Honda del Sol which will be the primary home for my empeg but that car will be parked for the winter and I will be driving my CR-V around with my empeg connected to the Pioneer Head unit I have in that vehicle. So now when the Spring rolls around and I pull the empeg out of the CR-V I will have a gaping steel hole in my dash. I would like to have a compartment the snaps in place like the empeg... maybe even with a handle on it so I can carry it around with stuff in it :) ok, maybe a little too far here. But I hope you guys get the idea.
And this way I won't have to rip apart the dash again every fall to put the empeg back in the CR-V and if I were to take the CR-V on a trip then I would have the ability to just pop the storage compartment out and put the empeg in it's place.

Thanks for listening empeg co. I look forward to ordering this next week.

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!

#16890 - 06/09/2000 10:25 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Actually, this is an easy one. Time for a second empeg!!!

What you would need is an empty shell of an empeg with the car connector on the rear (to lock it in place).
Instead of any electronics, it would just be the empty metal box. You would probably need to install your own
handle and metal face with some kind of false front on it. Maybe Rob would sell you an empty shell, if you ask
him nicely / offer enough money...

Paul G.
Q# 15189

P.S. - Thinking about it, you could probably get the connector only, and construct your own box, if needed. This
is all based on the assumption that the locking is done at the car connector - I don't know if there is anything in
the front of the empeg sled that you could latch to.

Edited by pgrzelak on 6/9/00 06:31 PM.

#16891 - 06/09/2000 10:25 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, interesting idea. If done correctly, it could also cover the hole in such a way as to help prevent a break-in.

Let me explain. For a while, my GTI had a full-pull-out CD player. I was able to find a cover plate to cover the hole left behind when I removed the stereo. It was a genuine VW part- it was the plastic piece that's used to cover the hole when they sell you a car without a radio in it.

I did this for a few years: Each time I got out of the car, I pulled the radio out and took it with me, covering the hole with this plate. Since all of my amp and speaker installation work was totally "stealth" (i.e., you couldn't see the speakers and amplifiers from outside the car), it looked like the car didn't have a radio at all. As far as a thief was concerned, there was nothing to steal, so my car was left alone.

It was only after replaced this stereo with a faceplate-removal model (I wanted anti-skip protection and they didn't make those in full-pull-outs any more) that I had my car vandalized. See, they break into the car anyway, looking to see if your faceplate or pull-out stereo is in the trunk or the glove box.

So the best stereo installation is the one that makes it look like there's no stereo at all.

Now, I don't foresee Empeg making storage boxes any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could find an existing car part that fit the bill. For instance, if you look at my new Honda, you'll see there's a little storage compartment that's almost the same size in my dash already. Perhaps that piece (or one like it from another vehicle) could be modified to slide into the empeg bay?

#16892 - 06/09/2000 10:40 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: pgrzelak]
ShadowMan
addict

Locked in place at the front of the sleeve, therefore a folding handle box would perfectly fit the bill.

Look at Tony's pic -->http://www.jps.net/tfabris/empeg/closeup.jpg

Mine is slightly different then that, sort of like a pocket. I will try and find a shot of it... actually at www.installdr.com if you go to the civic pdf there is a few shots of it there.

Would be sweet!

Unfortunately though, I don't have enough $$$ for a second empeg

#16893 - 06/09/2000 12:19 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
is this sort of what you are talking about? See the accessory pocket's beneath the Empeg?

I plan on putting my CD head unit in the top space there in the next week or so. Just gotta get a spot with Scotty the installer man.
*crosses fingers in hopes of avoiding the thump problem*

Tony, a "hole cover" type plate would be perfect. I would love to have that to cover up the hole so it would look like i have no stereo at all and remove the urge to steal my thousand dollars of amps and speakers. Hrmm. Anyone know where i could find such a part for a Honda Civic?

||| loren.cox
||| 12GB blue

#16894 - 06/09/2000 13:52 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Tony, a "hole cover" type plate would be perfect... Anyone know where i could find such a part for a Honda Civic?

I spent some time browsing at Majestic Honda, but only found one that covered a bigger-than-DIN-sized opening. Browsing their parts database is slow because of how they've got it categorized, but at least you get to see the drawings. I'm still looking. If you find the part, post it here...

#16895 - 06/09/2000 17:57 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: loren]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
loren,
-Get a relay from Radio Shack 1st, then it's like a charm and you won't need it.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#16896 - 06/09/2000 18:00 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Fwiw, you might be able to make something half decent looking with some 1/4" plywood, some duct tape and some trunk liner carpet...a box is a pretty easy shape. Maybe a staple gun if you went high-budget. ;-)

-Zeke

#16897 - 06/09/2000 21:28 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: Ezekiel]
buts
journeyman

Loc: sydney australia
what would be even better it the docking connector joined the aux in to the audio out so thoes of us how use the aux input to connect to the factory raido/tapeplayer could still hear the musice if we left empeg at home (not that you would)

andrew butler
sn 08000176 6G amber

#16898 - 07/09/2000 15:50 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: buts]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
This is starting to get very expensive. If I told you how much that connector costs, you wouldn't believe me.

The metalwork isn't cheap either. To put this in perspective, we currently make a sizeable loss on additional car mounts.

Rob

#16899 - 07/09/2000 21:36 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

I know some people in Taiwan who could quote you...we do some metal fab over there now. Let me know.

-Zeke

#16900 - 08/09/2000 07:09 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
ShadowMan
addict

All I am asking for is a simple plastic compartment to slide into the empeg bay. I know that half of the connector would cost $30. That's almost what I would pay for the whole unit. I am attaching a picture here as to what it looks like in my CR-V.

Now on a side note the CR-V doesn't have a doble-din slot... more like a din and 3/4s

Attachments
8-16245-small_spare_tray.jpg (534 downloads)

#16901 - 08/09/2000 07:32 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
rob
carpal tunnel

The connector costs rather more than that, in fact.

I realise what you're asking for you and I'll bring it up with our plastic desginers. I think it may work out too expensive though. The tooling on even a simple vacuum formed plastic part isn't cheap and we wouldn't sell many of these.

How much would you pay for one?

Rob

#16902 - 08/09/2000 09:34 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
ShadowMan
addict

Not $30... well the two part connector cost $60 doesn't it... I thought you said that in a post not long ago? well... anyways. :)

I'd prefer a somewhat cheaper part... $30 US would even be a bit much for it. Maybe some way to alter an existing pocket such as the ones used by Honda as it is, held in by friction might even be enough.

Maybe a poll or something seeing how many people would be interested in having something to fit the sleeve while the empeg isn't it the car/is in the other car.

Thanks for listening Rob and I hope to hear the results whether it be good or bad sometime soon.

Later.

#16903 - 08/09/2000 09:38 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

I would be interested in a sleeve, or even a faceplate to cover the opening.

Paul G.
Q# 15189

P.S. - I would certainly be willing to pay the $40 to $60 mentioned by Tony as well.

Edited by pgrzelak on 8/9/00 05:52 PM.

#16904 - 08/09/2000 09:42 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

How much would you pay for one?

Well, you could probably purchase and modify some car manufacturer's factory part (like the pocket shown on that CR-V) for about $20.00. But it wouldn't necessarily fit perfectly, and might require some jerry-rigging to work right.

In order to get one that exactly fits the empeg sleeve without hassle, I would easily pay $40.00-$60.00. In heartbeat.

It would allow me to have the "stealth" installation I loved so much with my old CD player. I'd just keep the pocket in my glove compartment, then pop it into the sleeve whenever I left the car with the Empeg. Anyone walking by will see a storage compartment instead of a radio. Perfect.

One thing: It would have to flare out and cover the metal edges of the docking sleeve so that they weren't visible with the pocket installed...

#16905 - 08/09/2000 09:53 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Now on a side note the CR-V doesn't have a doble-din slot... more like a din and 3/4s

My wife has a CR-V and I've got an Accord. Her dash looks just like yours, and here is a shot of what mine looks like. Note that mine has a fold-down door on the front of the compartment, whereas the CR-V just has a hole.

I thought that the Accord scheme was also a 1.75-DIN layout because that little compartment looked too small. But then Dionysus went and proved me wrong by easily fitting two DIN stereos in the Accord.

It looks to me like the CR-V might take two DIN units if you don't use the factory radio. If you use an aftermarket CD player with one of those smaller faces (like Di did) you might be able to fit both. Does anyone have any more data on this? I'd check it out myself except that my wife won't be letting me near her dashboard with a screwdriver any time soon.

#16906 - 08/09/2000 11:54 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: pgrzelak]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'd be interested in a faceplace type cover that is designed to look like something not worth stealing. Either have a trail of wires dangling out or whatever...

#16907 - 08/09/2000 13:09 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
ShadowMan
addict

Well my girlfriend has no say in the matter and my screwdrivers will be hitting the dash this weekend!

The only thing I need now is to find someone with the adapter to let me take the empeg in and play it out through my Pioneer Head unit... looking for the link as I type.

Here it is. Crutchfield wants $80 US for it though. Oh my.

Anyone got a good link to an FM thingy that would plug into my empeg outs and go to my Pioneer head unit antenna input and let me listen to it through the FM?

Later.

#16908 - 08/09/2000 13:28 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well my girlfriend has no say in the matter and my screwdrivers will be hitting the dash this weekend!

If it's going into a CR-V, make sure to let us know how it goes and give us some pictures. I'm interested in knowing, because I can foresee a future where my wife's CR-V might one day contain an Empeg.

The only thing I need now is to find someone with the adapter to let me take the empeg in and play it out through my Pioneer Head unit... looking for the link as I type. Here it is. Crutchfield wants $80 US for it though. Oh my.

The Pioneer unit doesn't have an Aux-in? You don't usually have to resort to one of those adapters unless you're plugging into a factory radio.

Anyone got a good link to an FM thingy that would plug into my empeg outs and go to my Pioneer head unit antenna input and let me listen to it through the FM?

Oddly enough, if such a gizmo existed, Crutchfield would probably have it. In fact, I'm reasonably sure I've seen that sort of thing in their catalog before. Did you try calling them by telephone? Their phone reps are exceptionally good and can answer all your questions, even if their web site is mediocre.

#16909 - 08/09/2000 19:57 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
"Here it is. Crutchfield wants $80 US for it though. Oh my."

What do you know... I just bought one of those from a local dealer today. Are you sure you need the "CD-RB20"? The CD-RB10 will work if you are not planning on putting in a Pioneer CD Changer in the future. Plus the CD-RB10 is half the price...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Soy un perdedor..."

#16910 - 08/09/2000 21:42 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: bootsy]
ShadowMan
addict

I know I have a 12 disc changer that will be in use while I am using the empeg in my del Sol and my Girl is away in the CR-V. That's why I need the 20 and not the 10. :)

Oh yeah, I been meaning to ask... Are you a fan of Beck?

#16911 - 09/09/2000 11:50 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Oh well... thought I could save you a couple of bucks. The guy who sold the 10 to me said he was waiting for a 20 himself. He wanted to add his new Mini-disc without hogging the IP-thingy.

And yes I like Beck...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#16912 - 11/09/2000 05:33 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
ShadowMan
addict

ohh ohh.... after reading jbauers post I have this (possibly wonderful) idea for the sleeve that could fit the empty sled.

I know cost is a factor here but if empeg were to offer two flavours of the empty sleeve it could solve jbauers and many others problem.

Ok, here goes the pitch:
Sleeve design #1:
Empty pocket that fits into the cage and clips into place with a handle.
Sleeve design #2:
Same empty pocket as above, but with a docking connector attached to the rear to allow pass through of the aux inputs to an amp (at least one, better then none, and it could be selectable with a little toggle switch as to whether it goes out to the rear outputs or front outputs or both!!!) This would give users with a second head unit running into their empeg the chance to use their old head unit when they forget the empeg (if that's possible )

Any comments on this idea???

Sounds easy enough.

Later.

#16913 - 11/09/2000 06:48 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
ShadowMan
addict

empeg is in the CR-V. Goes with the dash perfectly except the Pioneer I have on top looks like sheat as the trim ring will not fit in with the empeg in place. Pics will be available shortly to show what I mean. A little bit of a rough job, A lot of panels have to be removed but nothing too serious. 2 Stereos would fit perfectly if the face of the empeg was a little smaller or the Pioneer trim was smaller... I will be working on the Pioneer to get it to fit.

but alas... the CR-V is a double-din! :)

Later.

Now to get the diode for the 12v constant.

#16914 - 11/09/2000 08:41 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The diode is for the 12v switched, not constant. If you can wait a week or so, we will have some pre-made plugin fixes for this problem (fits onto the ISO connector).

Hugo

#16915 - 11/09/2000 10:56 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the update on the CR-V. Good to know you can squeeze a double-DIN in there.

except the Pioneer I have on top looks like sheat as the trim ring will not fit in with the empeg in place.

If you look at Dionysus' pictures, he has a trim plate in front of his CD player (not the CD player's trim ring). I don't remember if this was a mounting kit or if he cut his own plastic piece for it. I cut my own.

If you want to cut your own plastic piece to make it look better, here is what I did:

Go to the stationery store and get:

1) Metal ruler
2) Very sharp x-acto knife
3) A cheap black 3-ring binder with a flexible plastic cover.

Use items 1 and 2 to measure and cut number 3 into a piece that perfectly covers everything.

If you post pics, put them in the "Installation Notes" section, not this thread.

#16916 - 11/09/2000 11:37 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

If you look at Dionysus' pictures, he has a trim plate in front of his CD player (not the CD player's trim ring). I don't remember if this was a mounting kit or if he cut his own plastic piece for it. I cut my own.

I cut my own as well..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#16917 - 14/09/2000 13:50 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...the connector costs rather more than that, in fact.

I've come across several references to the incredibly expensive docking connector that the empeg uses. Would a standard Centronics parallel printer connector serve your needs and/or cost less? It's got something like 36 pins available, and ought to be available in quantity at low cost.

Of course, when arguing from a position of total ignorance, it's easy for me to tell you how to do things.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#16918 - 14/09/2000 14:07 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Would a standard Centronics parallel printer connector serve your needs and/or cost less?

The connector needs to be designed to work with a not-quite-centered insertion. Same reason the connector wiggles, that's the reason they need a connector designed specifically for the task. A Centronics connector requires the operator to carefully line it up when connecting- it most likely wouldn't work well in the sleeve.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Hugo, the hacker that he is, already tried one just to see if it could be made to work.

#16919 - 14/09/2000 16:30 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

We had some criteria for the connector: self-aligning (floating bushes on one side), recessed contacts for the player side, good power handling, gold plating, good docking action (positive docking, light pressure), good lifespan, pins could be machine crimped, etc.

Centronics connectors don't cut it unfortunately. Many others were ruled out on current, crimping, or size.

Hugo

#16920 - 16/09/2000 11:36 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: buts]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Hang on, here's tanstaafl's solution.

Rob: Can we source empeg-side connectors and/or empty chassis? Yes, I know they'll be expensive, but it might we worth it. I know that the Mk.I connectors were available from Farnell.

Idea one: Storage box jumpers aux in to the empeg out to let a second head unit pass through to the amp. Good idea, Andrew, and inspiration for:

Idea two: Storage box breaks out the amplifier inputs (empeg out) and power (probably accessory) so we can slide a discman into the box. Most of us would be content simply being able to use said discman for the drive from the music store to our ripper/encoder machine, but tanstaafl needs to be able to play the IASCA CD. If you really wanted to do this nicely, you'd spend the extra time to build the DC-DC converter into the shell, and maybe mount the discman on a drawer slide.

So, no we won't think it's reasonable at first blush, but what would an empty empeg cost us, Rob?

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#16921 - 16/09/2000 16:27 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: n6mod]
altman
carpal tunnel

The only way you'll be able to get connectors is through us; we have to buy several thousand at a time. They're not really suitable for hand assembly, and the plastic comes separately from the contacts. As rob has said, the price would make you go white.

In theory, we could sell you metalwork and a complete internal connector/wiring set (though we could probably get the bits separately, it's much easier for us to get the completed assemblies from the subcontractor). The phrase "not cheap" comes to mind, though... I suspect (but don't hold me to this!) it'd be in around $100 for harness, main box, lid, catches and handle.

Hugo

#16922 - 16/09/2000 16:49 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: altman]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
If $100 turns out to be the right price, I'll take one, specifically to build a Mk2 sled-compatible CD player for those long drives back from the music store.

I can't imagine anyone else is that nuts, though.

I'll even pick it up in Cambridge next month.

(and yes, I've realized that this won't help tanstaafl, since he was counting on using the parametric EQ in the empeg.)

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#16923 - 16/09/2000 18:14 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: n6mod]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Actually, you would not be alone. I would be interested in purchasing it as well...

Paul G.
Q# 15189

#16924 - 17/09/2000 02:26 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: altman]
Liufeng

Loc: Alaska
I don't think $100 is too much. It would save me a lot of time making something myself. I think it would be very useful for those with multiple vehicles. And when someone else is driving your car you probably don't want them messing with your EQ settings. So with a box that plugged in and powered the amp and passed through the AUX inputs would be very useful.

Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119
Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119, Mark 2a

#16925 - 17/09/2000 08:31 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: Liufeng]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't think $100 is too much. It would save me a lot of time making something myself.

Actually, I got the impression that even with the parts Hugo supplied, you'd still have to build something yourself. The $100 would have been just for the connector and the metal frame. You'd still need to solder the connections and come up with something on the front that worked for your needs.

#16926 - 17/09/2000 15:13 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: altman]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

$100 doesn't appear to be out of the question.

Calvin

#16927 - 18/09/2000 00:24 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: eternalsun]
altman
carpal tunnel

We'll have to investigate then; unfortunately, we can't just pull the bits off a shelf, as they are all delivered direct to the manufacturers. You wouldn't believe how much paperwork is involved in getting unfinished units out of them (and this is the main reason that it won't happen unless we become much less busy!).

Hugo

#16928 - 18/09/2000 02:20 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: n6mod]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

(and yes, I've realized that this won't help tanstaafl, since he was counting on using the parametric EQ in the empeg.)

Actually, I've solved that problem.

First line of defense (offense, actually...) is when the IASCA judge gets in the car and hands me his CD, I just point to the empeg's Now and Next display and say "Oh, don't bother -- it's already cued up and ready to go. These are the buttons that advance to next or previous track." I let him assume there's a CD changer in the trunk or something. If the judge is alert, he won't let me get away with that. In which case, I go to option #2...

I have a portable CD player I got from Crutchfield. I have a cable set that feeds the line-out of the CD player into the auxilliary input of the Mark II sled, permanantly installed. That cable terminates inside the glovebox, where I also keep the portable CD player, wrapped up in a soft cloth to keep it from getting scratched. If the judge is unreasonable, then I grumble a lot, pull the CD player out of the glovebox, plug the cable into the line-out, switch the empeg over to EQ preset #6, and go on from there. The catch-22 is that the sound quality judge can't take away any points for bad ergonomics, and the install quality judge will never see the portable player. The sound quality of the portable is acceptable but not as good as the empeg (it has a warmer sound, not as crisply defined as the empeg, and has a more noticeable noise floor.)

I would be interested in hearing from people who know if some portable players have better sound quality than others.

I am going to try and lobby IASCA this winter to make a decision on how to treat the empeg, as I am sure there will be a significant number of them competing next year. I don't think there will be any good news forthcoming, however. IASCA makes a pretty good point when they say that a competitor who re-masters the official disk to hide the deficiencies of his own system would have an unfair advantage and short of having the competitor play the judges own disk, there is no way to guarantee a level playing field.

tanstaafl.

#16929 - 18/09/2000 16:52 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: altman]
rob
carpal tunnel

We also don't have spare metalwork - we can't pull anything from the current batch because it will impact production. When we order the next batch we should be able to order some extra chassis, handles and looms.

Rob

#16930 - 18/09/2000 16:57 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
rob
carpal tunnel

Perhaps we'll be able to make a point about this in Oklahoma this fall. We have a booth at the IASCA finals, and it'll be interesting to see the reaction of the worlds more hardcore car audio maniacs.

Rob

#16931 - 19/09/2000 03:08 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
In reply to:

IASCA makes a pretty good point when they say that a competitor who re-masters the official disk to hide the deficiencies of his own system would have an unfair advantage and short of having the competitor play the judges own disk, there is no way to guarantee a level playing field.

Just point out that as mp3's use a lossy compression format, they are likely to sound worse, not better than the cd... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#16932 - 19/09/2000 03:47 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: Jazzwire]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

What about wave (or raw pcm)? It would take a lot more space, but at least you could prove that it is exactly like the original...

Paul G.
Q# 15189

#16933 - 19/09/2000 06:43 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: pgrzelak]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
Nah, we had a thread somewhere mentioning that with most CD drives a rip is not quite the same as the output you get when you play the cd in a normal player...

Besides, you could have remastered the wave file in the same way as you could by burning a CD... (This was the problem in the first place... =)

(Also, I'm ignoring the lack of wave file playback at the moment, as I assume it's going to appear in V1.1 =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#16934 - 19/09/2000 08:41 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
I don't suppose the judge wants to sit around for half an hour or so while you rip his disk and convert it at 320k, huh?

Maybe you can lobby IASCA to provide official MP3s to play on your player. The empeg will not be the only MP3 player people will have in their cars.

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB 080000349

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349

#16935 - 19/09/2000 09:55 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: Jazzwire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Nah, we had a thread somewhere mentioning that with most CD drives a rip is not quite the same as the output you get when you play the cd in a normal player...

And in that thread, we came to the conclusion that the rip (assuming it had no problems) was no different than the original CD. A wave file played through the Empeg's DAC should sound identical to the CD if it were somehow fed through the same DAC. And the Empeg's DAC was made for CD reproduction, so, equalization differences aside, it should sound the same as a consumer CD player.

And in version 1.1, we'll actually get the ability to play .WAV files, so that'll even be possible.

Besides, you could have remastered the wave file in the same way as you could by burning a CD... (This was the problem in the first place... =)

Right. Even if there were "officially sanctioned IASCA MP3 files", the judges would have no way of knowing if the MP3s you're playing are re-EQ'd or anything.

#16936 - 19/09/2000 13:18 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

the judges would have no way of knowing if the MP3s you're playing are re-EQ'd or anything.

That's the crux of the issue. For those not familiar with IASCA judging procedures, you get one chance to set your stereo up as far as gains, loudness, bass/treble, EQ settings, etc. Then the judge takes over and the only things he is allowed to change are the volume and the power controls. The sound quality is judged across dozens of different tracks on the competition disk, so that a car might sound good on a bass-heavy track, and not so good on a track requiring good mid-range and treble response If a competitor could re-master the disk on a track by track basis, he could compensate for deficiencies in his basic system.

Now in my mind, there is a cruical difference between actually re-mastering the disk as opposed to playing an exact copy of that disk (in .wav format) with different equalizations on each track, provided that those equalizations are provided by the competitor's player and not by an external recording studio. In the first case, he is showcasing the versatility and power of his car stereo. In the second case, he is very decidedly "unleveling" the playing field.

Another way of looking at it is like this: there are CD players that allow users to store more than one EQ setting. Suppose a manufacturer took it one small step further, and let you pre-assign those EQ settings to different tracks. All it would require would be a bit of flash ROM to save the settings for each CD. IASCA would have no problems with that, because you would be playing the official CD and the capability of your CD player would optimize the playback -- which is the whole point of the competition. So perhaps it comes down to just finding a way to prove to the judge that the original data on the CD has not been compromised when it is stored in the empeg.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to do that.

tanstaafl.

#16937 - 19/09/2000 14:05 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
What about this:

1. IASCA releases the competion CD pre-ripped to whatever format on a data CD - that way, they can certify the contents.

2. Immediately prior to playing the track, the Judge can verify the copy of the track on the player by comparing it to the original 'licensed' copy (for example, by comparing MD5 hashes).

Note - step 2 is easier to do when the player is an MP3 CD head unit - pop the CD into a laptop, etc. I can't think of an EASY way to do it for the empeg at the moment, so I'll let someone else take a crack at it.

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 18 GB /
Green

#16938 - 19/09/2000 14:11 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: Jazzwire]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Whether it sounds "worse" isn't the point. The point of a comparative test is to play the exact same source and judge the quality and capability of the equipment for reproducing equivalent source material. Until IASCA has an mp3 category, which they probably won't for a while, if the music being played is not the same source but a MODIFIED source then it invalidates the comparative test. Because to what extend has this source audio been modified, etc? Of course you can look at it as no different than using a lot of DSPs and so on...

Calvin

#16939 - 19/09/2000 14:16 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Headphone.com recommends the Panasonic SL-SX460.

Calvin

#16940 - 19/09/2000 14:47 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

The point of a comparative test is to play the exact same source and judge the quality and capability of the equipment for reproducing equivalent source material.

Very well said, Calvin.

If the empeg could play .wav files, and if IASCA could provide a checksum (either track by track, or better yet for the whole CD), and if the empeg could display that checksum, and if IASCA could be convinced that the empeg-displayed checksum was tamper-proof, and if the .wav file went into the empeg absolutely bit for bit identical (would there be problems with that between tracks?), and if.... sigh.

If my aunt had wheels, she'd be a tea cart, I suppose. I think it's hopeless.

tanstaafl.

#16941 - 19/09/2000 16:10 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Headphone.com recommends the Panasonic SL-SX460.

Well, well... by an amazing coincidence, the one that I bought was the Panasonic SL-SX469. I am going to stick my head in the sand and pretend that the '469 is the same as the '460 but with the addition of the AM/FM tuner. (Of course, they probably ripped out most of what made the '460 good in order to squeeze in the tuner, but ignorance is bliss, you know)

tanstaafl.

#16942 - 26/09/2000 16:13 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: BillB]
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
BillB wrote:
1. IASCA releases the competion CD pre-ripped to whatever format on a data CD - that way, they can certify the contents.

Or provides the tune in WMA format, you cant change the tune, re-engineer the output of that tune, and its a pain in the arse to play more than once, or on more than one pc!

Maybe WMA is the way to go for competitions? Justa thought since, the requirements of the music's original integrity seems much like a copyright situation. IASCA
wants to keep the song/file integrity in place, WMA doesnt let you re-eng the track/file.

My two cents....

#16943 - 07/11/2000 01:18 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
Fogduck

Loc: BC
...you know what, maybe that explains my FIRST and ONLY break-in that happened three days after getting my empeg installed.

My logic: big gaping hole = nothing to steal.

Your (correct logic): most people are lazy...pull unit and hide somewhere in vehicle = even easier to steal.

In that case, if the insides of the car dock were BLACK, it wouldn't look so much like a gaping hole anymore as much as it would look more like a storage compartment.

I guess since its stainless steel, coating it with something is a losing proposition...

(at least my theives had the courtesy to reach something in to roll down the window, and didn't do any real damage -- and completely ignored all my loose valuables)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
MK2 #141, green, 12GB
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case

#16944 - 07/11/2000 07:07 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

...you know what, maybe that explains my FIRST and ONLY break-in that happened three days after getting my empeg installed.

They didn't get your Empeg, did they? I sure hope not.

We haven't heard any reports of stolen Empegs on this BBS yet, I hope we never do.

Good thing is, for the time being at least, Rob's got a decent database of every customer. So if a thief tried to order a car dock he could track it and report it.

By the way, I solved my "cover the hole" problem, see the thread titled "Disguising the empty sled" in General. Now I've got the same solution I had in the old GTI.

#16945 - 07/11/2000 08:57 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
Oscar
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ, USA
Coincidentally, my car was broken into this weekend. Imagine my surprise (and delight) at finding the empeg sitting on the floor of the car! I guess the crooks decided they couldn't easily sell it somewhere and could find better things to weigh themselves down with. Unfortunately, they made it into my trunk where I had a brand-new and as-yet unopened Epson Stylus 870 printer waiting to be installed. Oh well, the printer is much easier and cheaper to replace.

Odd that I'd feel *lucky* after a robbery!

-Oscar

#16946 - 07/11/2000 09:38 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Oscar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One question:

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, LEAVING THE EMPEG IN THE CAR!?!?!?!?!

(Glad it didn't get stolen, though, phew!)

#16947 - 07/11/2000 11:15 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
Fogduck

Tony: No, nothing stolen...had a $200 amp loose in the back, $10 in loose change (stupid Canadian $2 coins!) a couple of the bigger Mag lights, etc. I'd never leave my empeg in the car overnight.

Oscar: they DIDN'T take your empeg? You've got some seriously un-wired theives in your area...

Tony: you think that might be a route an empeg could be recovered? (Rob's database, an order giving a serial #) I wonder if emplode could work like spyware, sending an IP address and serial # back to empeg every time its fired up...

MK2 #141, green, 12GB

#16948 - 07/11/2000 11:40 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Fogduck]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Tony: you think that might be a route an empeg could be recovered? (Rob's database, an order giving a serial #)

Well, I'm not saying it's Rob's responsibility or anything, or that he even has the ability to do anything in that situation. I'm just saying that if someone got their Empeg stolen and the thieves didn't take the sled, then the victim could call Rob and tell him the situation. Rob could then keep an ear open for sled orders, and see if any orders come in under names that aren't registered as owners. If one comes in, a simple ruse could get the thieves' phone number: "Our ordering computer is temporarily down. Can I get your phone number and call you back in five minutes when it's done rebooting?"

Rememer, this is only theoretical. And it would only work for a brief period in the very near future while the only empegs floating out in the market are the ones directly ordered from Empeg and the numbers aren't huge. Also, there are probably some e-bay buyers who haven't registered their names with Rob...

Of course, Rob probably has no desire to shoulder this kind of burden anyway...

#16949 - 07/11/2000 16:27 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
Oscar
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ, USA
One of the nice things about the Mk. II in its current state is that it's relatively non-descript. It doesn't have some major brand name stamped all over it (or at all, actually), which I think confuses people as to what it's really worth. For all its pretty curves, there's really nothing about it that screams "very expensive item!!", which I actually like.

I'm guessing that the theives would've taken it if it had had 'SonicBLUE' or 'Rio' stamped on it somewhere.

Just one small advantage to being a relatively unknown company...

-Oscar

#16950 - 07/11/2000 19:28 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

If anyone does have their empeg stolen PLEASE report it to us, it could help.

Rob

#16951 - 07/11/2000 19:30 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

This isn't something we could take any official responsibility for. In practice, there have been one or two occassions where I think we could have helped someone out had they reported their unit to us as stolen (but without knowing that - can't do a thing).

Rob

#16952 - 07/11/2000 23:07 Re: Spyware Recovery Method [Re: rob]
Fogduck

Official responsiblity -- no, of course not. God forbid it comes to that, but I'd try anything to recover my empeg. Sure, its a big ticket item, but I've got some music on there that would be difficult to replace.

How do you feel about some sort of "spyware" idea?

Units fresh from the factory would, upon first install/emplode, allow the user to insert an e-mail address into the unit. From then on, that install of emplode and the e-mail address inside the unit would match...UNTIL the unit was synchronized on some other system, namely the thief's computer (or the thief's customer) -- which is going to happen VERY soon, since they're not likely to have my taste in music, etc.

emplode could try and send e-mail to the address stored in the unit, with the IP of the machine which it was just sync'ed with. The unit would not behave ANY differently, nor signal what it was doing. It is likely that even a dialup connection might be up in conjunction with emplode running (oh, gee, I wonder why...heh heh)

The e-mail in the empeg could be password protected, so that a handover of empeg (sale, borrow, etc.) could let the actual owner reset the notifcation address, etc.

This is, of course, a cursory and simplistic description of what might be a more complete mechanism, but insofar as this basics here, it *could* prove invaluable in recovering an expensive and very personal piece of equipment.

Imagine it:

"Officer, my car-stereo just sent me an e-mail notifying me of the IP address of the thief that stole it. Could you please contact [ISP name] and give them this timestamp and IP and trace the user and or telephone number it corresponds to?"

Police have responded to lesser crimes involving an IP address and exact timestamp.

Worst case, if the password is forgotten and an e-mail address is stuck inside and the empeg still thinks it was stolen, its just the empeg spamming the former owner.

MK2 #141, green, 12GB

#16953 - 08/11/2000 01:03 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, LEAVING THE EMPEG IN THE CAR!?!?!?!?!

Did you speak to Oscar or to the thieves?

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16954 - 08/11/2000 01:06 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Oscar]
teemcbee
addict

Additional I'd say that it may look strange if you don't have any sleds for cassette or CD and the display is fixed so there could be no sled behind it. So what to do with such a strange unit...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16955 - 08/11/2000 03:41 Re: Spyware Recovery Method [Re: Fogduck]
rob
carpal tunnel

We already have procedures in place for stolen players which will not be discussed here. Spyware is not one of them, however - that would raise serious privacy issues.

Rob

#16956 - 10/11/2000 09:46 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: tfabris]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Perhaps that piece (or one like it from another vehicle) could be modified to slide into the empeg bay?

The plastic compartment I pulled out of my VW Passat looks like it would fit quite nicely in the empeg sled with a bit of trimming. The interior dimensions look like they would fit in the sled while there is a lip that extends slightly outward that would probably cover up the exposed metel and give it a clean look. It's also not as deep as the DIN slot so I think it would clear the docking connector without having to cut a hole in the back.

If anyone is interested there might be a part number I can pull off it.

-Dylan

#16957 - 10/11/2000 12:21 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Dylan]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Sure! I'll bet there are a lot of people on the BBS that would like a standard, easily obtainable slide-in storage tray. I know I would, if the price were reasonable. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's worth begging a VW dealer to order it with their standard "Mark-Up". If there's somewhere online where we could buy it, that would be better.

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#16958 - 10/11/2000 18:39 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Dearing]
mgraven
new poster

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
If you look further back in this thread, I mentioned an aftermarket part that met my needs pretty well for USD 15 or 20. There are a few photos as well.

#16959 - 11/11/2000 01:15 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: Dearing]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, looking at the pocket that used to sit in the lower
DIN slot in my VW Polo '01, there's what looks like a part
number, 6XO 857 058 (conforms to Hella part numbers too...)

I think it's marginal if this part will fit in the sled
(judging by measurements on the piece and on the empeg.

Depthwise - no problem, the part that extends back to grip
the hole where the screw/rubber plug on a normal HU goes is
easily hacked off and the pocket itself is ~10mm shallower
than the empeg (MkI) metal chassis.

Width - no problem after possibly trimming some small plastic tags

The problem is height - this one is very marginal,
measurements makes it ~1mm higher than the empeg including
the lid screws even after trimming off extending tabs.

I'll chop it up and get back with the results...

#16960 - 11/11/2000 14:03 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: mtempsch]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, the Polo pocket does fit, but not perfectly...

It is a very little bit too tall at the front - it's
slightly wedge shaped, causing the top and bottom of the
frame to bow slightly down and up respectively.

Slight pressure straightens it out, so I mounted a post,
made from a PCB mounting post, front/center, to spread the
top and bottom back to their normal distance. It does halve
the width of things you can put in the pocket, but provides
a handy handle for removal of the pocket. The top of the
pocket is perforated with holes large enough for fingers
(ventilation?) but the metal edges of the sleeve are pretty
sharp, and it's easy to scrape or cut your fingers trying to
remove the pocket that way... it is a pretty tight fit.

The post looks a little odd, but I won't be seeing
it much anyway...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >